Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

CONSTITUTIONAL: Can someone explain to me what the Supreme Court held in Zalewski in late 2020 in relation to the exercise of limited judicial power? Just realised I don't have it in my notes. Thanks!

Unless this is in relation to a case of the same name not on courts.ie, the Supreme Court decision of that name (Zalewski v Adjudication Officer (WRC) [2019] IESC 17) was handed down two years ago. The SC judgment only determined that the appellant had locus standi to challenge the Work Place Relations Act and Unfair Dismissals Act. Then, last year, the High Court ([2020] IEHC 178) held that, although the powers exercised by adjudication officers and the Labour Court—for resolving employment disputes under the WRC—resemble many of the characteristics of the administration of justice under Article 34, it lacks the crucial element of the decision maker being able to enforce its decisions (characteristic four of Bord na gCon). Thus, the claim failed on that limb. That’s as much as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lawlawblahblah

Anyone who has sat the November 2020 exams were you asked to show your room before the exam started? Did you have to show a copy of your unmarked constitution/ legislation? Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legalapples

bluerthanu wrote: »
    Unless this is in relation to a case of the same name not on courts.ie, the Supreme Court decision of that name (Zalewski v Adjudication Officer (WRC) [2019] IESC 17) was handed down two years ago. The SC judgment only determined that the appellant had locus standi to challenge the Work Place Relations Act and Unfair Dismissals Act. Then, last year, the High Court ([2020] IEHC 178) held that, although the powers exercised by adjudication officers and the Labour Court—for resolving employment disputes under the WRC—resemble many of the characteristics of the administration of justice under Article 34, it lacks the crucial element of the decision maker being able to enforce its decisions (characteristic four of Bord na gCon). Thus, the claim failed on that limb. That’s as much as I know!

From my understanding it's been heard by the SC but they have yet to make a decision on it

Anyone who has sat the November 2020 exams were you asked to show your room before the exam started? Did you have to show a copy of your unmarked constitution/ legislation? Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

[HTML][/HTML]

Nope, we weren't asked to show the room or legislation. I just held up my legislation at the start in front of the camera but we didn't need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

we weren't asked to or even prompted to do so. I just held up the legislation at the start of my exam and also throughout (whenever i remembered to) to show what i was looking at!
    there's nobody speaking to you so its not invigilated but they use a software that can detect suspicious behaviour, whatever that might be i.e. going to the bathroom often, staring in the same direction repeatedly during the exam. i had been very paranoid about staring out my window thinking that the system might have flagged it, and i was never told it did because nothing of the sort was communicated to me. then again i did fail that paper so who knows lol

flepetch wrote: »
    we weren't asked to or even prompted to do so. I just held up the legislation at the start of my exam and also throughout (whenever i remembered to) to show what i was looking at!
    there's nobody speaking to you so its not invigilated but they use a software that can detect suspicious behaviour, whatever that might be i.e. going to the bathroom often, staring in the same direction repeatedly during the exam. i had been very paranoid about staring out my window thinking that the system might have flagged it, and i was never told it did because nothing of the sort was communicated to me. then again i did fail that paper so who knows lol

Hard to know what they pick up on!! And easy to be paranoid lol I wonder do they not tell people the reason they’ve failed is because they think they’re cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

You don't even have to show them what colour shirt you're wearing. Don't bother holding up your legislation or showing your room, you're only wasting time. As long as you're not pulling your notes or a textbook you have nothing to even think about. The camera is purely to keep people honest and to catch blatant cheaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

bluerthanu wrote: »
    From my understanding it's been heard by the SC but they have yet to make a decision on it

My sincere thanks to both of you. Legalapples, that would make sense as to why I haven't any notes on the SC decision -- if they've only heard arguments but haven't delivered any judgments yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Hard to know what they pick up on!! And easy to be paranoid lol I wonder do they not tell people the reason they’ve failed is because they think they’re cheating?

You'd be notified if you were caught cheating because they told us beforehand that there is a chance to appeal. However in saying that I have zero confidence in that software, and I researched it heavily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LawNerd2020

Hi all, just wondering does anybody have the handout that was given out at Eoin Carolan's lecture last year with the leading cases from 2019? I'm going on Monday go get the leading cases for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

can anyone explain to me the test JC set out re unconstitutionally obtained evidence please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

I am repeating equity and need to pass it to start my TC on time, here are the chapters I'm studying:

Mareva Inj
    QT Inj
    Proprietary Estoppel
    Unilateral Mistake
    Trusteeship
    Undue Influence
    Doctrine of Satisfaction
    DMC
    Strong v Bird
    3 Certainties
    Charitable Trusts
    Resulting Trusts - Joint Deposits & Surplus Funds only

Am I missing any major topics or do you with this is sufficient to pass?

I looked through past exam papers, and even with all these chapters, I can still only just pick 5 questions to answer on a paper and with this new Examiner like last time, I'm terrified!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

nicolesd wrote: »
    can anyone explain to me the test JC set out re unconstitutionally obtained evidence please?

JC overruled the Kenny absolute exclusionary rule so the new position is that unconstitutionally obtained evidence can be admitted if it was gathered in circumstances where breach of rights was due to inadvertence and there was no deliberate conscious breach.

onus is on prosecution to establish admissibility so they will either have to show the evidence was not obtained unconstitutionally, or that it was but the court should nonetheless admit it.

where evidence is obtained by deliberate conscious breach, it should be excluded except in exceptional circumstances. deliberate conscious breach = knowledge of unconstitutionality and involves assessment of the state of mind of the person gathering the evidence and any other official investigators involved.

where evidence is obtained unconstitutionally but not by deliberate conscious breach, this raises a presumption of inadmissibility. This can be rebutted by the prosecution establishing breach of rights was due to inadvertence.

where evidence is obtained in circumstances whereby it could never be regarded as constitutionally obtained, it should never be admissible.

Apologies if that's a bit long-winded, and hopefully it's accurate - do correct me if I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

tommyq94 wrote: »
    General Principles is a bit easier/shorter!

I really would do both if I were you, as they are both likely to come up, and they are always asked in the same essay format.

I can send you my notes on them both if you want.

what do you think is best to cover?

I have covered

institutions
    general principals and bit on fundamental rights
    direct effect & MS liability
    Judicial Review
    FMOG

I don't think I have enough ? I will try cover another topic, any advice really appreciated, would it take long to do workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Creg12 wrote: »

I have covered

institutions
    Judicial Review
    FMOG

I don't think I have enough ? I will try cover another topic, any advice really appreciated, would it take long to do workers?
    My list is identical to yours but I have supremacy done as well. On advise I got here a few days ago I am going to try to get FMOW and citizenship done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Better Examinations

Under upcoming exams is anybody's exam coming up ? I am sitting constitution Wednesday.

Better Examinations

Under upcoming exams is anybody's exam coming up ? I am sitting constitution Wednesday.

Same here. I emailed the law society about it and they said it would be added closer to the time...

Thanks...5 more sleeps is close enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Thanks...5 more sleeps is close enough !

Last sitting they only appeared the night before, so still plenty of sleepless nights and unnecessary stress to go. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Hey guys ! Is anyone leaving out any part of due course of law or are people doing all of it? Don’t think I’ll have time to do all so if anyone had any pointers that would be great :)

Hey guys ! Is anyone leaving out any part of due course of law or are people doing all of it? Don’t think I’ll have time to do all so if anyone had any pointers that would be great :)

Leaving it also ..it is not a regular question.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

The only parts I plan on skimming are right to silence and unconstitutionally obtained evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Creg12 wrote: »

I have covered

institutions
    Judicial Review
    FMOG

Definitely add Citizenship + Free Movement of Workers in there too, they come up regularly and are often mixed in the same question.

I'm covering what you have there along with Workers, Citizenship, and a small bit on both Equal Pay/Equal Treatment, and Services - my lecturer seemed to think it would come up in the form of an Access to Medical Treatment question, so I focused my notes towards that!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 examsfe12021

constitutional

hey does anybody have a sample answer for AG ? Can swap other notes if needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    The only parts I plan on skimming are right to silence and unconstitutionally obtained evidence

And you’re not looking at the rest? Might follow same approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Re Constitutional: how does anyone pass this exam without going completely insane or sinking into the depths of despair?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

And you’re not looking at the rest? Might follow same approach!

Yeah really don't think I'll have time to cover undue delay etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Re Constitutional: how does anyone pass this exam without going completely insane or sinking into the depths of despair?

I just cannot understand how they expect people to MEMORISE this quantity of BS. I have a busy job and literally don't have time for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

DavidX90 wrote: »
    I just cannot understand how they expect people to MEMORISE this quantity of BS. I have a busy job and literally don't have time for this.

It purely is the pointlessness of memorisation that turns me off completely. I actually find a lot of the concepts really interesting, but the sheer amount that has to be learnt off is incomprehensible.

Advertisement