Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Rectification came up as a note in November! I haven't started UI or proprietary estoppel yet. I'm currently prepping the secret trusts/joint accounts problem question and will also look at the specific performance/rectification problem question.

You should look at the mixed charitable trusts/cy-pres problem question from October 2017! That could be due a run.

so I was looking at the grid and between the four UI, ES, REC AND SP it seems that SP and REC come up together and UI and ES come up together and sometimes there is a third one of that group thrown in. I am hoping that this year it will be REC and SP, possible that a third one comes in there but I just dont have the time so I am taking a huge gamble, I read UI yesterday and I needed a glass of whiskey after it, I am going to chance leaving it out.

But that's just my opinion, if someone has come up with other theories I am open to hearing them! I won't be going back to equity until after constitutional on wed so I will want to be cutting it down to the bare minimum then!!

did that quesiton about charitable trusts/cy-pres not come up in november or was I looking at a different paper?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Iso_123 wrote: »
    What do ppl think the likelihood is of estoppel making an appearance on thursday for equity? It's been up 3 times in a row now and from what I can see it hasn't been examined more than 3 times in a row yet. I have most of the rest of the course covered bar tracing, constructive trusts and the bit of complete constitution that doesn't seem to come up (rule in milroy v lord etc). I'm wondering is it worth covering estoppel too?

If you have the time, I would tbh! Tracing will also hopefully be on the paper as it has never gone 3 sittings without coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    If you have the time, I would tbh! Tracing will also hopefully be on the paper as it has never gone 3 sittings without coming up.

I read the chapter and just could not get my head around it tbh! and i know either a problem q or that same essay q comes up for it but I just don't have time to write out a sample essay for it and I don't have any sample answer for it :( I think I'm going to chance leaving it out even if it does come up I'm hoping that I can just avoid it by having nearly all of the rest of the course done

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

is anyone leaving out omissions under actus reus for criminal? as in learning it generally for problem question knowledge but not in depth for essay/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

is anyone leaving out omissions under actus reus for criminal? as in learning it generally for problem question knowledge but not in depth for essay/

Just learning it generally for problem Q!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Can I ask for those who sat the online exams in November and got unexpectedly logged out of the exam ... did you use the spell check facility? I’m thinking this is why I was logged out of two of my exams and I’m now afraid to use spell check for this upcoming sitting

I used spell check with no issues in 4 exams. Such a mystery why some people were getting logged out

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Does everyone's Better Examinations say you have 0 exams scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

law987 wrote: »
    Does everyone's Better Examinations say you have 0 exams scheduled

Mine says 0, I think they didn't appear until very close to the time in Nov if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LegalSmeagle97

Is anyone planning on using headphones (unplugged obv) during the exam to block out noise at home? It says headphones/ear buds are permitted in the FAQ sheet, but I don't think they were allowed in November? Or is this just asking for trouble lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

"Solicitors and barristers would require Irish to qualify under proposed law"

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/solicitors-and-barristers-would-require-irish-to-qualify-under-proposed-law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

"Solicitors and barristers would require Irish to qualify under proposed law"

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/solicitors-and-barristers-would-require-irish-to-qualify-under-proposed-law

I am here crying over trying to study for these exams and this man wants us to pass an Irish exam????? Some days I really wonder is it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 superS

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Constitutional - I haven't seen many on here mention locus standi but I'm weary of it appearing again as a two in a row question - do people plan on covering it?? Really freaking out over this exam

I was thinking the same! I'm preparing standing of corporate entities/representative actions. I think it might appear because of the SC case Friends of the Irish Environment v Government of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

Hi All,
    Doing Company, Contract and Tort this sitting - does anyone have any tips on how to narrow down Contract? Or let me know the topics they are covering. I thought i had mine picked but i'm second guessing myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ullaw22

Having done Finding Disputes, Adverse Possession, Succession (in full), Licences & RoR, Co-Ownership and Family Property to the extent that they're learnt off a ready to go - can anyone recommend a last property topic to fit in? Ideally one that doesn't take a lot of understanding conceptually and would be tipped to come up.

Thanks in advance :)

FE1new wrote: »
    I am here crying over trying to study for these exams and this man wants us to pass and Irish exam????? Some days I really wonder is it worth it.
    It will be! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Is anyone planning on using headphones (unplugged obv) during the exam to block out noise at home? It says headphones/ear buds are permitted in the FAQ sheet, but I don't think they were allowed in November? Or is this just asking for trouble lol

you are allowed them in the exam so there is no issue!

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Constitutional - I haven't seen many on here mention locus standi but I'm weary of it appearing again as a two in a row question - do people plan on covering it?? Really freaking out over this exam

i have covered it but my grid says the last time it appeared before november 2020 was april 2014 (my grid could be wrong!) so I would be surprised if it came up tbh

ullaw22 wrote: »
    Having done Finding Disputes, Adverse Possession, Succession (in full), Licences & RoR, Co-Ownership and Family Property to the extent that they're learnt off a ready to go - can anyone recommend a last property topic to fit in? Ideally one that doesn't take a lot of understanding conceptually and would be tipped to come up.

Thanks in advance :)
    I honestly think that's loads - i did property last sitting and didn't cover as much as that and i was fine. Remember you're pretty much guaranteed two questions on Succession so I think you're well covered. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lnmbk

vkfe1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Doing Company, Contract and Tort this sitting - does anyone have any tips on how to narrow down Contract? Or let me know the topics they are covering. I thought i had mine picked but i'm second guessing myself now.
    In the same boat as to regards contract - I've covering almost everything - except capacity, illegal contracts, void/voidable, law of agency. I am drained. Would be great if anyone had any suggestions of what else to cut out?

lnmbk wrote: »
    In the same boat as to regards contract - I've covering almost everything - except capacity, illegal contracts, void/voidable, law of agency. I am drained. Would be great if anyone had any suggestions of what else to cut out?

my lecturer said duress is very low risk to leave out for this exam so I will be leaving it out! another thing to note about the contract paper is that every year (as far as I've looked) there is a question that is an a OR b question so you are essentially choosing from 9 questions :)

• Advertisement

I'm not doing those either so that's reassuring. For some bizarre reason, my lecturer has omitted Consumer Protection from the topics that are due - i was shocked and i know that it might come up, but i'm leaving it out because i'm so stuck for time. I'm also not doing Mistake as it came up the last two sittings so i think Misrepresentation will come up - with or without remedies. Privity is due as an essay i think as well.
    I was meant to sit it in November and dropped it because i felt so unprepared. Kind of feeling the same now but i won't drop it again!

I'm not doing those either so that's reassuring. For some bizarre reason, my lecturer has omitted Consumer Protection from the topics that are due - i was shocked and i know that it might come up, but i'm leaving it out because i'm so stuck for time. I'm also not doing Mistake as it came up the last two sittings so i think Misrepresentation will come up - with or without remedies. Privity is due as an essay i think as well.
    I was meant to sit it in November and dropped it because i felt so unprepared. Kind of feeling the same now but i won't drop it again!
    An essay on misrepresentation would be nice. I am also convinced privity will come as an essay. Regarding consumer protection - it's anyone's guess really as to whether it will come up. The last sitting it came up as part of a PQ, sitting before it came up as part of an EQ.

An essay on misrepresentation would be nice. I am also convinced privity will come as an essay. Regarding consumer protection - it's anyone's guess really as to whether it will come up. The last sitting it came up as part of a PQ, sitting before it came up as part of an EQ.
    Yeah i think i'll cover Consumer Protection with Misrepresentation. An essay on Misrep would be fab, i agree. Fingers crossed i have enough done anyway - i'm really taking chances with what i'm not covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

Does anyone else sometimes struggle to figure out what exactly is being asked in certain Constitutional questions? I find myself having to refer to my exam grid frequently. Really worried considering the exam is so close!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

So for contract would the following be okay or do I need to add something? I have only evenings and next weekend to study.
    Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Formalities
    Privity
    Undue influence
    Misrepresentation
    Consumer Protection
    Estoppel

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Do people think freedom of assembly and association are worth covering for Constitutional? Haven't left myself a lot of time to learn them

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Do people think freedom of assembly and association are worth covering for Constitutional? Haven't left myself a lot of time to learn them

i think theyre worth doing! took me about an hour to learn both having not looked at them since writing my notes a while ago they're very quick!

Yeah i think i'll cover Consumer Protection with Misrepresentation. An essay on Misrep would be fab, i agree. Fingers crossed i have enough done anyway - i'm really taking chances with what i'm not covering.
    (Consumer Protection) I'd say gather some cases regarding title, description, merchantable quality, sample. The application of exclusion clauses is very important. Understand that section 12 (title) cannot be affected by exclusion clauses whereas sections 13 (descr), 14 (mer. qual) and 15 (sample) can. Then look at Unfair Terms Reg. 1995, Consumer Rights Reg. 2013. That should be enough.

You've already put so much work in, it would be silly to drop it now. Keep going! Best of luck.

FE1new wrote: »
    So for contract would the following be okay or do I need to add something? I have only evenings and next weekend to study.
    Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Formalities
    Privity
    Undue influence
    Misrepresentation
    Consumer Protection
    Estoppel

i would consider adding remedies as it comes up every paper and can be mixed into PQs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I sat and passed contract and I remember going over interpretation and wording of contracts as I felt it had to come up with it been very topical. It didn’t come up! Just my two cents but I still feel it’ll come up this sitting! Might be worth covering and it’s a pretty straight forward essay!

Advertisement