Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

constitutional

would it be an awful idea to leave out the rights of non-citizens in regard to family ??

I could be wrong but the last time family came up I think it was something to do with non citizens and rights of the family, so he might end up looking to question something else. Could be completely wrong tho

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

My application status for these exams is marked as approved on the website, but I don't think I ever got an email confirming that it was approved and confirmation of the exams that I'll be sitting. I've gotten all the online exam info and better examinations correspondence. Anyone else never get a confirmation email? I can't even remember if I even got one for August and November.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

Are people learning case law for each fiduciary duty under section 228 or is there any in particular I should be focusing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Can anyone help me find one of those big sample answer booklets for Consitutional?

There's a few questions that I'm really struggling to grasp, and I have no other way of figuring out what's going on in them...

I have basically everything for all the subjects so can swap anything with anyone able to help! ��

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Anyone know what the story is with bathroom breaks? I know the rules say don't leave your workspace... but I'm guessing we're allowed to use the bathroom if needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 katie5843

BigSprogs wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with bathroom breaks? I know the rules say don't leave your workspace... but I'm guessing we're allowed to use the bathroom if needed?

Yes! you can go to the bathroom! Well I did in November and there was no issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fe1ak

what defences are people focusing on for criminal law,

katie5843 wrote: »
    Yes! you can go to the bathroom! Well I did in November and there was no issue!

Perfect, cheers! Did you say anything to the camera before going or anything?
    Fe1ak wrote: »
    what defences are people focusing on for criminal law,

The main ones like duress, intoxication, lawful use of force, provocation and automatism.
    In particular I reckon duress and provocation as there's been some recent-ish developments - with DPP v Gleeson for duress, and DPP v McNamara & DPP v Zoltan Almasi for provocation!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

Have left myself 2 days to cram all of criminal wonder if that’s even possible!

its possible !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fe1ak

BigSprogs wrote: »
    Perfect, cheers! Did you say anything to the camera before going or anything?

The main ones like duress, intoxication, lawful use of force, provocation and automatism.
    In particular I reckon duress and provocation as there's been some recent-ish developments - with DPP v Gleeson for duress, and DPP v McNamara & DPP v Zoltan Almasi for provocation!
    thanks! I was really hoping to ignore provocation as it came up as an essay last sitting, just hate that defence so much haha

• Advertisement

thanks! I was really hoping to ignore provocation as it came up as an essay last sitting, just hate that defence so much haha

It's upto you really - but the McNamara judgment is really useful for provocation! Kinda clears up a lot of issues

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bigchungus

Bit of a silly question but in terms of the ILAC method, do you guys generally explain all of the relevant law, and then the application in a paragraph after? That's how I've seen most samples written, but my lecturer does it by going law/application/law/application. Not sure if it makes a difference either way but just wondering how others are structuring that?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

bigchungus wrote: »
    Bit of a silly question but in terms of the ILAC method, do you guys generally explain all of the relevant law, and then the application in a paragraph after? That's how I've seen most samples written, but my lecturer does it by going law/application/law/application. Not sure if it makes a difference either way but just wondering how others are structuring that?
    Not a silly question - i was wondering myself for the last sitting. :) I conclude per issue. So i don't do an overall conclusion at the end because i'm afraid i'll forget something. So I use ILAC issue by issue. Def easier for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I've done both and personally I find the method of law/application/law/application worked better for me. On the other way of listing all the law I missed some issues on the application. It is a personal choice though as I passed doing both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Make a point of law, refer to a case/cases and note how it is relevant to the problem question at hand. Do not do what the sample answers do. They just regurgitate everything for each topic, even if it is of no relevance, and then only do a small paragraph tying it into the problem question at the end. The sample answers are really lazy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 examsfe12021

equity

anybody have a sample essay for cy pres?? i can swap material for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Wondering if anyone who did the November sitting can clarify the process around logging on etc.

It says we have to logon by 9:30 but can logon from 8:30. Does the exam not become available until 10 and does it automatically expire at 1?

I’m terrified that I’ll log on at 8:30 and the exam will come up and my time will have started if that makes sense? The extra 90 minutes may be crucial in terms of cramming :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Paraeagle wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone who did the November sitting can clarify the process around logging on etc.

It says we have to logon by 9:30 but can logon from 8:30. Does the exam not become available until 10 and does it automatically expire at 1?

I’m terrified that I’ll log on at 8:30 and the exam will come up and my time will have started if that makes sense? The extra 90 minutes may be crucial in terms of cramming :P

From sitting in November the exam won't open until 10 even if you log in early, so don't worry about setting off any time early or anything, it won't be available until ten, and it will end automatically at 1.30

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Feeling like a stuffed bin when you're trying to get more stuff into it but it's just overflowing. That's how my brain currently feels

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Feeling like a stuffed bin when you're trying to get more stuff into it but it's just overflowing. That's how my brain currently feels

I have read so much case law today I fell that after this I should be qualified to sit on the bench!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

The City College lecturer for Criminal said in the NB4 video that Provocation is a guarantee to come up in some form. I think he even went so far as to say that it'll be the most important part of your homicide answer. So, while you hate it now... I'd say just do a 1 page note on it and you may just love it yet :L

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Criminal

Does anyone have a list of recent decisions that may be likely to crop up? I’ve been scouring law firm updates but have yet to find anything I think may be useful/relevant. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

would it be ok to leave out cabinet confidentiality and privilege for constitution?

Iconic10 wrote: »
    would it be ok to leave out cabinet confidentiality and privilege for constitution?

I think to have a couple of cases for a PQ would be sufficient, SC case of Ag v Hamilton and then the decisions in Murphy v Dublin Corporation and Ambriox Ltd v Minister for the Environment. i don't see it coming up as a full question (although i could be wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Is everyone still waiting on the zoom link for the constitutional seminar to be sent to them tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LawNerd2020

Does anybody have any notes on Family and Education that they would be happy to share? I have typed notes for all Constitutional topics (apart from the Oireachtas and Liberty) that I am more than happy to share in return. I'm struggling with Constitutional today.

Hopefully I will be ok leaving out the Oirachtas and Liberty having covered practically everything else. Can't face having to start a new topic so close to the exam.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

Is everyone still waiting on the zoom link for the constitutional seminar to be sent to them tomorrow?

I am still waiting for it!

mine was in my promotions folder in my gmail....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Lozg wrote: »
    I am still waiting for it!

Me too, checked spam and all folders. I got the receipt and booking confirmation but no link to the zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

Hi guys, do any yous know whether we’re allowed to use spell check software for the exam? If we are, does anyone have any good recommendations?

Think would be handy to have spell check from a time perspective.

Advertisement