Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

Just wondering what some people’s approach is to these exams due to the fact they are online! My initial plan was to use to sticky note tool and note pad tool on the Better Examinations platform to write down key points and cases and an outline plan of my answer but I now know that these are not actually going to be visible to the examiner when correcting but my only problem with writing a ‘notes dump’ before my actual answer is that you’d have to keep scrolling up and down to keep track so not sure whether to just risk it and stick to the sticky note option or just deal with scrolling up and down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 katie5843

awsah wrote: »
    mine was in my promotions folder in my gmail....

What seminar?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hi guys, do any yous know whether we’re allowed to use spell check software for the exam? If we are, does anyone have any good recommendations?

Think would be handy to have spell check from a time perspective.

the extention on google chrome that i used was Grammar and Spell Checker — LanguageTool and it worked for the nov exams

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Ais20 wrote: »
    Just wondering what some people’s approach is to these exams due to the fact they are online! My initial plan was to use to sticky note tool and note pad tool on the Better Examinations platform to write down key points and cases and an outline plan of my answer but I now know that these are not actually going to be visible to the examiner when correcting but my only problem with writing a ‘notes dump’ before my actual answer is that you’d have to keep scrolling up and down to keep track so not sure whether to just risk it and stick to the sticky note option or just deal with scrolling up and down!!

Hey, I did it at the top of my answer last time I found the note pad very annoying having to move it around the screen. It felt a bit in the way. You might be able to pop your notes at the top of the essay then copy them into the sticky note. Not 100% if you will be able to copy and paste but could be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

Is receivership worth covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

FEONE wrote: »
    Is receivership worth covering?

I asked this earlier and I think the general consensus was that it could be worth leaving out and covering examinership and liquidation! That’s what I’m going to be doing anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

anyone have brief notes on equality? anyone covering the initial narrow scope of the docterine the courts took initially re the human personality docterine equality or what are ye covering for equality?

also wondering re Locus standi- correct me if i am wrong but the friends of the enviornment v government of ire (case re the national mitigation climate plan) the court didnt allow them to bring the case regarding the constitutional rights points because they were a company and thus couldnt argue they were personally affected? so does that mean companies cant bring cases in the public interests as an exception to cahill?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rebecca1177

For criminal

What defences are people not focusing on/leaving out, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lawlz

Hi guys, quick question here;

When ye log onto better examinations at half 9 do ye study with notes in front of the screen/ leave the screen and study elsewhere or just sit there and wait for the exam to start?

Don’t want any potential problems with leaving/ studying while on camera before the exam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Ais20 wrote: »

To get around the scrolling problem in November, I just did my notes dump in the answer box then fleshed out my answers from the notes dump so there ended up being no 'notes' left at the end, if that makes sense? Kept cutting & pasting my notes into my answers - didn't find there to be too much crazy scrolling, helped me to keep checking over my answer any way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

nicolesd wrote: »
    anyone have brief notes on equality? anyone covering the initial narrow scope of the docterine the courts took initially re the human personality docterine equality or what are ye covering for equality?

also wondering re Locus standi- correct me if i am wrong but the friends of the enviornment v government of ire (case re the national mitigation climate plan) the court didnt allow them to bring the case regarding the constitutional rights points because they were a company and thus couldnt argue they were personally affected? so does that mean companies cant bring cases in the public interests as an exception to cahill?

yeah, they weren’t allowed argue the constitutional rights aspect of the case. however, that doesn’t mean there’s an absolute rule against it re unincorporated associations (companies is slightly different again i think). SPUC v Grogan (had objects clause re unborn) and Irish Penal Reform Trust (had legitimate interest in prison conditions) are the two main citable exceptions. however, it seems to be a very high bar to meet. I’d imagine the fact that the right to a healthy environment wasn’t recognised impacted upon their ability to show locus standi but realistically there’s no clear cut rule (like everything else in bloody constitutional it seems).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

For criminal

What defences are people not focusing on/leaving out, if any?

duress, proocation, necessity, intoxication and briefly looking at automatism

Can anyone tell me is there a case that determined that licences were property?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

awsah wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is there a case that determined that licences were property?

Muldoon v Minister for the Environment [2015] determined taxi licenses could be the subject of property rights

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fe1555

I want to use my airpods for the exam just for the noise cancellation. I saw it says use of earbuds/earphones is permitted. Do you think we have to connect the airpods/earphones to the laptop or can we just have them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

What do people do if they forget the name/year of an Act? Is it ok to just write the name of the act without the year or does that look bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

NewFe1 wrote: »
    What do people do if they forget the name/year of an Act? Is it ok to just write the name of the act without the year or does that look bad?

Personally I'd think it is better to name it than nothing. Obviously only if you forget otherwise include section and the year. Otherwise it could highlight a gap in your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

For friends of the Irish environment ltd v an bord pleanala does anyone have a case note they’d be willing to share? Can’t understand the case at all I keep seeing contradicting facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

Lawlz wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question here;

When ye log onto better examinations at half 9 do ye study with notes in front of the screen/ leave the screen and study elsewhere or just sit there and wait for the exam to start?

Don’t want any potential problems with leaving/ studying while on camera before the exam!

I studied before and then when there was a min left until the exam start I just put my notes away, I also went to the bathroom 3 times in one exam and it was fine, don’t stress about that too much it’s honestly not a big deal I had no issues with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

NewFe1 wrote: »

A kind soul shared their exam script from November a while back on here and for one of the questions, they had the year of a few of the acts wrong. The examiner circled the mistake throughout but they still managed to get a really decent mark for the answer so I wouldn’t panic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Is everyone still waiting on the zoom link for the constitutional seminar to be sent to them tomorrow?

Same here, still waiting. I emailed them just there and got an automated reply saying that if I've queries to go to the page you can register, which isn't the most helpful, but I'll give it a maybe an hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Fe179user wrote: »
    For friends of the Irish environment ltd v an bord pleanala does anyone have a case note they’d be willing to share? Can’t understand the case at all I keep seeing contradicting facts?

Hey, if you go a few pages back there was a few posts and links on this that should clear up your confusion.

Basically, there are 2 recent Supreme court decisions involving "Friends of the Irish Environment" from what I gather, the one involving bord pleannala isn't really relevant for Constitutional, it's the one vs Ireland is relevant as CJ Clarke goes through standing, derived rights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

Just with regards questions about plans and the sticky notes, would not recommend writing your rough plan in the sticky notes. I had a whole plan typed up basically an outline of my essay in the last round and somehow managed to delete the whole thing and had to waste time writing it out again. Don't think there is any harm typing rough plan in the answer box

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fe1prep2021

For anyone wondering about the constitutional seminar, I received an email on the 19th with a link to confirm my registration and once I did that I received a zoom link to the webinar

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

anyone else not have their exams showing up on the better examinations system? I'm doing criminal tomorrow and constitutional the next day and theres nothing there

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    anyone else not have their exams showing up on the better examinations system? I'm doing criminal tomorrow and constitutional the next day and theres nothing there

My first exam is Company so awhile away yet but my exams aren't up on Better Examinations either. Hopefully they'll have them up some time today!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 examsfe12021

equity

would it be a horrible decision to leave out purpose trusts? didnt realise how long it was and dont know if im wasting my time when i could be focusing on other questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Mc96 wrote: »
    My first exam is Company so awhile away yet but my exams aren't up on Better Examinations either. Hopefully they'll have them up some time today!

Is your practice exam still appearing up? Mine says "still in progress" under the "exams available to take now" folder. Find it weird it still says in progress and it's still appearing on my calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Lightup1 wrote: »
    Just with regards questions about plans and the sticky notes, would not recommend writing your rough plan in the sticky notes. I had a whole plan typed up basically an outline of my essay in the last round and somehow managed to delete the whole thing and had to waste time writing it out again. Don't think there is any harm typing rough plan in the answer box

Totally agree. I typed out my rough plan under a "Rough Plan" heading and then started my answer underneath under "Answer" heading like I would in the written exam. I didn't use sticky notes or anything as found them annoying.

Advertisement