Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Unless we get more supporters on that petition, the LS are going to continue to ignore emails and calls regarding the March 2021 set, the scripts, the re-checks, etc etc

A petition with a large number of supporters grabs media attention and the media/public humiliation is the only thing that garner's the LS's attention: https://www.thejournal.ie/law-society-exams-1274784-Jan2014/ "Students launch petition after Law Society exams date moved"

Send the link to your family and friends: http://chng.it/r5CbZFdzgx

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

I'm now super worried about this sitting!! If I don't pass my TC is a goner ...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

neon123 wrote: »
    I was actually thinking that myself but wasn't sure if I was being overly cynical! I wonder if there is also a higher expectation to provide more detail for each Q now that they are typed answers, whereas when we had to hand write there was a little more leniency?

Looking at the sheer amount of posters today who were shocked with their marks certainly suggest the examiners have raised the bar in what they expect from typed answers... which is extremely unfair if that's the case as this was the first full online sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BoyLaw937

I just feel completely despondent and blindsided. I had fully expected to pass company and to discover that I wasn't even close is quite disconcerting. I'm not sure how I could have approached that exam better. I honestly don't know what the examiner wants from me

Same boat here, I knew the examiner reports for the repeated questions off by heart and remembered them in my head when I was answering the questions so I am in a fairly confused state to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stonewash

Hi guys,

Congratulations to everybody who sat these exams back in November, no matter what your result was this morning. I felt like they were marked brutally despite the study I put in and the fact I answered 5 questions on the correct areas.

If you’re upset, just know that this these exams are a mere stepping stone that YOU WILL get over. Perseverance seems to be all these exams demand because I’ve passed exams I thought I failed, while failing exams I thought I passed easily.

You braved these gruelling exams during a global pandemic and you should be so proud of yourself for that motivation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

WE NEED THE EXAMS PUSHED BACK UNTIL LATE MARCH OR APRIL

you can't give us less time to study (due to september push back) then mark like that, and still expect us to do exams 2 weeks earlier!

They're also online for god sake so it is not even like they have already got venues booked or anything.

People have training contracts starting in April though and need the exams completed before then.

I think it would just be good to put an additional sitting in Summer like this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Fe7 wrote: »
    Unless we get more supporters on that petition, the LS are going to continue to ignore emails and calls regarding the March 2021 set, the scripts, the re-checks, etc etc

A petition with a large number of supporters grabs media attention and the media/public humiliation is the only thing that garner's the LS's attention: https://www.thejournal.ie/law-society-exams-1274784-Jan2014/ "Students launch petition after Law Society exams date moved"

Send the link to your family and friends: http://chng.it/r5CbZFdzgx

That defeats the purpose of the petition though, surely? I don't want the date changed. I wouldn't begrudge others if it was, but I would be annoyed if the petition gained loads of signatures because people without any skin in the game were getting involved.

Just my opinion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bcxcv

I had completely expected to fail Company, having only answered 3.5 questions but I passed and my friend who did 5 questions, failed. On the other hand, I thought I did really well in Contract but I failed it by 5% so these markings really does not make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Might the online system have lost some of our answers? Would explain people thinking they did well and getting in the 30/40% territory?

Might the online system have lost some of our answers? Would explain people thinking they did well and getting in the 30/40% territory?

Company was the first exam so it will be interesting to see what the scripts are like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

I hope you all give yourselves some TLC today and accept you are only human and this is just a bump in the road. You did your best in what are unprecedented times, you are not in control of the outcome. But don't loose confidence if things didn't go your way today.

I was hoping to sit company and contract the next sitting, but am a little nervous with all the comments here regarding the two subjects. I would greatly appreciate anyones tips? I sat EU and criminal in the last sitting.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    That defeats the purpose of the petition though, surely? I don't want the date changed. I wouldn't begrudge others if it was, but I would be annoyed if the petition gained loads of signatures because people without any skin in the game were getting involved.

Just my opinion though!

Thats not how petitions work.

I might not have anything to do with various petitions open to me signing, e.g. "Stop giving plastic toys with fast food kids meals" or "Kenyan Government rejects ICT Practitioners Bill", but they're still open for people or myself to sign if they can empathise or it affects someone they know.

People have training contracts starting in April though and need the exams completed before then.

Starting a month or two late doesn't really seem to outweigh the 12+ months others will have to because the Autumn exam was pushed out and the results were unprecedented and also late. Nevertheless, you still get to start with ample time in September with Blackhall.
    I think it would just be good to put an additional sitting in Summer like this year.

The results for those are really cutting it for those trying to find accommodation and arrive to Blackhall on time. It doesn't seem fair given the same point above.

Its a difficult time for everyone.

Thats not how petitions work.

I might not have anything to do with various petitions open to me signing, e.g. "Stop giving plastic toys with fast food kids meals" or "Kenyan Government rejects ICT Practitioners Bill", but they're still open for people or myself to sign if they can empathise or it affects someone they know.

They can't accommodate the minority, but they can the majority.

I hope I didn't come across as dismissive or in an unfriendly tone.

I just think it would be best if people actually affected by the system/timeline made their voices heard, rather than randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Saved.bythelaw

Im the exact same with Constitutional, I didnt get it but I thought the exam went well. I dont understand my result at all.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I hope I didn't come across as dismissive or in an unfriendly tone.

I just think it would be best if people actually affected by the system/timeline made their voices heard, rather than randomers.

So should people of other backgrounds stayed out of the BLM movement? You can't pick and choose where to apply ethics or equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

What a total ****show.

So should people of other backgrounds stayed out of the BLM movement? You can't pick and choose where to apply ethics.

Anyway.

You're asking for the date of the FE1 exams to be changed, it's a very specific request.

Why should your family/friends have any input in the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 feliznavidab

Starting a month or two late doesn't really seem to outweigh the 12+ months others will have to because the Autumn exam was pushed out and the results were unprecedented and also late. Nevertheless, you still get to start with ample time in September with Blackhall.

The results for those are really cutting it for those trying to find accommodation and arrive to Blackhall on time. It doesn't seem fair given the same point above.

Its a difficult time for everyone.

I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect those due to start TCs in April to postpone their start date because of something that was not their fault. And that's even presuming firms would agree to such a thing - which is absolutely not going to happen.

I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect those due to start TCs in April to postpone their start date because of something that was not their fault. And that's even presuming firms would agree to such a thing - which is absolutely not going to happen.

I didn't say it was reasonable. I said expecting people to push their TC's out 12+ months in contrast was less reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

Lealaw wrote: »
    I hope you all give yourselves some TLC today and accept you are only human and this is just a bump in the road. You did your best in what are unprecedented times, you are not in control of the outcome. But don't loose confidence if things didn't go your way today.

I was hoping to sit company and contract the next sitting, but am a little nervous with all the comments here regarding the two subjects. I would greatly appreciate anyones tips? I sat EU and criminal in the last sitting.

I passed Contract today, my biggest tip would be to go over the examiner reports as early as possible. The same questions come up fairly often but are often a mix of a couple of topics and it's helpful to see which cases the examiner expects to be relied on in the answer. I left it quite late to really look at them and then had to panic study a few extra bits and realised some stuff I had been learning rarely, if ever comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Mc96 wrote: »
    I passed Contract today, my biggest tip would be to go over the examiner reports as early as possible. The same questions come up fairly often but are often a mix of a couple of topics and it's helpful to see which cases the examiner expects to be relied on in the answer. I left it quite late to really look at them and then had to panic study a few extra bits and realised some stuff I had been learning rarely, if ever comes up.

Thanks a million, I really appreciate your advice! Congratulations on passing

• Registered Users Posts: 17 feliznavidab

I didn't say it was reasonable. I said expecting people to push their TC's out 12+ months in contrast was less reasonable.

Those you're trying to impose upon didn't cause that though did they? Why should they have to adjust their plans?

I understand the frustration but robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Does anybody know how long it takes to get the re check back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

For people wondering about grades on rechecks, I failed contract in Oct 2019, I got 46. Decided to get it rechecked and they brought my grade DOWN to 44

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

I just sent a big ranting email to the LS.
    I’m just so fed up for the entire money racket.
    I have sat these exams 5 times now,

The first 3 times I sat and passed Property 3 times but had to keep paying and passing to get the lucky three passes.

Then they changed the rules , I carried my passes forward but now it seems absolutely impossible to pass the remaining subjects.

Each time I’m literally 3%,5% away from passing , paying for rechecks and no change.

This time around I actually had a full answer booklet from a script that passed by 68% and I learned it off to a T and 37% ... how is that ?? How ??

I don’t care what anyone says , it’s all geared to keep failing enough people that the cash flow continues, and the market is controlled.
    It’s absolutely nothing got to do with learning or ability.

I passed Criminal 51% back at the start with 1 week of study ..
    Now 2 sittings of Equity , prep courses and a Law Degree but I keep getting 45%,

I’m sure people will think , I need to study more but how can a script that passed a topic last year by 68% only get 37% this year ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Mc96 wrote: »

If you're a newbie this is brilliant advice and applies to most fe1 subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LawNotes123

I don't mean to be rude, but if you just regurgitated a script from a previous year would you not have struggled to answer the question asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    If you're a newbie this is brilliant advice and applies to most fe1 subjects!

Any tips for Tort? I felt okay before but after results today I'm lost and the reports aren't great :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

FE1new wrote: »
    Any tips for Tort? I felt okay before but after results today I'm lost and the reports aren't great :(.

Unfortunately Tort is one of the exceptions to this - I'll be sitting it in March and when I looked up the Reports (or lack of them) my heart sank. Makes it a lot harder to cut down and focus your study. Just going to have to go with a broad & shallow approach I think!

Advertisement