Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

is it reasonable to leave out delay in trial in due course? Doing everything else and mainly focusing on right to silence (Sweeney Case)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Is your practice exam still appearing up? Mine says "still in progress" under the "exams available to take now" folder. Find it weird it still says in progress and it's still appearing on my calendar.

yeah my practice exam is in the calendar and it says awaiting feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lawabc

Anybody planning to leave out findings of unconstitutionality and remedies?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moeby

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    anyone else not have their exams showing up on the better examinations system? I'm doing criminal tomorrow and constitutional the next day and theres nothing there

I am doing Criminal and Constitutional also, and the exams are still not up for me either...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Is anyone else's better examinations saying "feedback awaited" after the practice session??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

moeby wrote: »
    I am doing Criminal and Constitutional also, and the exams are still not up for me either...

I'm going to wait til around 1/2 and if its not there, I'll call the law society because i really dont want to be in a panic tomorrow and log in to have nothing there

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

equity

would it be a horrible decision to leave out purpose trusts? didnt realise how long it was and dont know if im wasting my time when i could be focusing on other questions!

i think purpose trusts is quite an important topic tbh. i know they came up in november but theyve been recommended by the night before notes and the lectures i used really emphasised them. only thing is you need to know all charitable purpose, cy-pres and non-charitable to answer a Q on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Is your practice exam still appearing up? Mine says "still in progress" under the "exams available to take now" folder. Find it weird it still says in progress and it's still appearing on my calendar.

Yep it's still in progress and blocked out in blue on the calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi folks, for anyone who signed up for the Constitutional seminar today did you receive the zoom link yet ? I haven’t got anything via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi folks, for anyone who signed up for the Constitutional seminar today did you receive the zoom link yet ? I haven’t got anything via email.

Never mind , looks like it went to my spam !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 FE1student2021

Hi all, just re the exams - I would suggest doing rough work in the answer box and flesh out in your answer the cases, acts etc. I used the sticky notepad in my exam in November 2020 and all my rough work got deleted. I’m not sure if this has happened to anyone else but just thought I would let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

flepetch wrote: »
    i think purpose trusts is quite an important topic tbh. i know they came up in november but theyve been recommended by the night before notes and the lectures i used really emphasised them. only thing is you need to know all charitable purpose, cy-pres and non-charitable to answer a Q on it!

what do you think about leaving out non charitable trusts? - finding the non incorporated exception super confusing and left til last minute to learn !

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Anyone have March 2020 Company Examiners report?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Same here, still waiting. I emailed them just there and got an automated reply saying that if I've queries to go to the page you can register, which isn't the most helpful, but I'll give it a maybe an hour or so

Got an email about 10am today with the link etc. hopefully so did everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

fe12020oct wrote: »
    what do you think about leaving out non charitable trusts? - finding the non incorporated exception super confusing and left til last minute to learn !

I would recommend covering this as it comes up as a note sometimes and I think it can be mixed in with the charitable trusts problem q. I know what you mean about the unincorporated associations being confusing but I literally have 2 cases on this part and just a couple of points which should be enough for a general note Q or if its mixed in with a problem question on charitable trusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Costello95

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I would recommend covering this as it comes up as a note sometimes and I think it can be mixed in with the charitable trusts problem q. I know what you mean about the unincorporated associations being confusing but I literally have 2 cases on this part and just a couple of points which should be enough for a general note Q or if its mixed in with a problem question on charitable trusts.

The city college NBN are very helpful for this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Iso_123 wrote: »

yeah i think the same. non charitable could be just as important but im only going to have a little bit to say on unincorporated associations

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

Hey guys, just in relation to constitutional remedies, what would be the main topics to talk about? Would it just be that the person in question is entitled to declaratory relief, damages, interim relief, judicial review?

Is there anything I’m leaving out or any specific case law I could refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Hey guys, just in relation to constitutional remedies, what would be the main topics to talk about? Would it just be that the person in question is entitled to declaratory relief, damages, interim relief, judicial review?

for remedies i found the following useful: TD v minister for education (demonstrates the reluctance of courts to grant mandatory orders), Blascoad Mor (entitled to recover damages where damage is proved to stem directly from effects of the invalidity), Conway v INTO (talks about why different damages would be awarded - ordinary damages for physical injury mental distress etc, aggravated damages due to the way the wrong was committed and punitive damages intended to punish the defendant rather than compensate the pf)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Fedone wrote: »
    Muldoon v Minister for the Environment [2015] determined taxi licenses could be the subject of property rights

Thanks for this, would you compare with the Hand case where a licence was not deemed property or muldoon is the new stance you would take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Literally did not know there was a chapter on remedies!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

awsah wrote: »
    Thanks for this, would you canoare with the Hand case where a licence was not deemed property or muldoon is the new stance you would take?

In Hand the issue was that the applicant had been convicted of unlawful casual street trading and his license had been revoked. He argued this breached his right to earn a livelihood rather than property rights and the court held that the oireachtas was entitled to restrict the right to earn where this is a proportionate restriction in the common good. I did the City course and the lecturer mentioned that in the last exam people didn’t notice that the license in a problem q was a property right and that the examiner was critical of that so I’d definitely keep Muldoon in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Thanks for this, would you compare with the Hand case where a licence was not deemed property or muldoon is the new stance you would take?

I thought the hand case just clarified that the right to livelihood can be restricted in the common good

Hempenstall also stated a license is a property right

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

flepetch wrote: »
    yeah i think the same. non charitable could be just as important but im only going to have a little bit to say on unincorporated associations

for my notes on non charitable purpose trusts I literally have a few points on the policy reasons against enforcing them and like 2 cases there then a few points and 2/3 cases each for the 3 exceptions. I think (hope) this should be enough as I've only seen it come up as a note on its own or mixed in with a problem. has anyone ever seen it come up in any other way? Would love an opinion on whether people feel this is enough detail

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Just got response re exams not showing up on the system when you log in, Law Society said they'll appear on the calendar on the day, and if not to contact them immediately. Not inspiring confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lawlawblahblah

Is anyone leaving out parliamentary privilege?
    If not, what are the key cases to cover? Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

Is anyone leaving out parliamentary privilege?
    If not, what are the key cases to cover? Thanks so much.

i left it out but wondering if i should cover it as well. I left out all the houses of the oireachtas as it came up last time. anyone any advice on whether we should cover privilege and confidentiality only ? would it come up as part of problem question maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Literally did not know there was a chapter on remedies!

in my manual its within the general principles for personal rights chapter where proportionality is!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

Iconic10 wrote: »
    i left it out but wondering if i should cover it as well. I left out all the houses of the oireachtas as it came up last time. anyone any advice on whether we should cover privilege and confidentiality only ? would it come up as part of problem question maybe ?

I have left out the oireachtas too.. it came up in Nov and March 2020 so hoping it won't appear again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    I have left out the oireachtas too.. it came up in Nov and March 2020 so hoping it won't appear again

I think Kerins could come up as a case note rather than a full question this time simply because of its significance. That’s just my opinion and I could be completely wrong but the city lecturer said not to leave it out if you can.

Advertisement