Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

stav wrote: »
    Hey all!

I was wondering if Reckless and Fraudulent Trading (Directors Statutory Duties Arising on Insolvency) is an important topic to cover for the Company March 2020 sitting? Really running out of time and trying to figure out what to leave out.

Thanks a million in advance for the advice :)

I would say unfair preference is the most important aspect to know here but I’m going over improper transfer of assets and reckless/fraudulent trading to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MylesH

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking the same, I never submitted my practice exam on the day, I just closed the chrome window. Only when I came on here after did I see people saying you were to receive a message about successfully submitting at the end.

At least I know to do it this week in the actual exam!

Cheers - My monitor (mirrored from laptop, not secondary) is at a weird angle to my webcam (laptop webcam) so I'm not directly in front of the camera.

Feedback that this was alright would have been reassuring, ah well sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Iso_123 wrote: »
    for my notes on non charitable purpose trusts I literally have a few points on the policy reasons against enforcing them and like 2 cases there then a few points and 2/3 cases each for the 3 exceptions. I think (hope) this should be enough as I've only seen it come up as a note on its own or mixed in with a problem. has anyone ever seen it come up in any other way? Would love an opinion on whether people feel this is enough detail

imo thats adequate. my manual doesn't cover any more than that really and i cant think of anything else to add in to what you have mentioned here

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

MylesH wrote: »
    Cheers - My monitor (mirrored from laptop, not secondary) is at a weird angle to my webcam (laptop webcam) so I'm not directly in front of the camera.

Feedback that this was alright would have been reassuring, ah well sure.

We don’t get feedback from the practice exam it’s just for us to get used to the system

I’d be wary of using the monitor tbh because you won’t be looking at the camera and this system might flag it as suspicious activity

I was under the impression from the FAQ that we could not use monitors or second screens

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

awsah wrote: »
    After that talk I would be looking at

Liberty
    Ag
    Equality
    Moot ness
    Family - rights of the family, personal rights and rights of non-citizens
    I would be prepared to do an essay on the Friends of the Irish Government case with headings as follows
    -Non Justibality
    Standing
    Unenumerated rights - right to a healthy environment

Edit to include an essay on the senator case which could be tied into a president question

What are you including as part of non-justiciability..I dont think there is anything in my manual on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Anyone know where one could find any case summaries for the cases mentioned like Bacik, Friends of the Irish Environment, Udaras Uchtala etc. from today's lecture?

try the FLAC website for some and there is a supreme court blog that i was looking at yesterday but found it down a rabbit hole

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    What are you including as part of non-justiciability..I dont think there is anything in my manual on it

I would be using that as a heading within a essay on the friends of the irish government case as they spoke about that and how the courts deal with policy related matters

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moeby

What case was mentioned in the Constitutional lecture for the Attorney General?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fe1person

Constitutional Lecture with Eoin Carolan - The Leading Irish Cases of 2020

Hey! For anyone that missed it, this guy tweeted the lecture.

https://twitter.com/ronanlupton/status/1374003670745034752

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

After that talk I would be looking at

Liberty
    Ag
    Equality
    Moot ness
    Family - rights of the family, personal rights and rights of non-citizens
    I would be prepared to do an essay on the Friends of the Irish Government case with headings as follows
    -Non Justibality
    Standing
    Unenumerated rights - right to a healthy environment

Edit to include an essay on the senator case which could be tied into a president question

god i have about 4 cases for mootness hope that doesn't come up alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

What exactly comes under non justiciability? My manual makes no reference to it

god i have about 4 cases for mootness hope that doesn't come up alone!

I am just going off of the cases he mentioned, you would need the MC v Clinical Director of CMH case. It talked about how a credible claim for damages in a case may not deem a case moot

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

I am just going off of the cases he mentioned, you would need the MC v Clinical Director of CMH case. It talked about how a credible claim for damages in a case may not deem a case moot

thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FE1Pleb

Anyone willing to share their own notes from the conference?
    Will front the cost of it. DM me

FEONE wrote: »
    What exactly comes under non justiciability? My manual makes no reference to it

it should be under judicial review, it is to do with the courts not interfering with policy matters, my notes are very limited

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Could anyone tell me what the outcome of the Ivana Bacik case was? and how it relates to constitutional interpretation?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Could anyone tell me what the outcome of the Ivana Bacik case was? and how it relates to constitutional interpretation?

Took a literal interpretation

you will need to read the judgement or a case note on it as it will more than likely feature on the paper and you will probably need to know more than just the facts

senators challenged the Taoiseach's refusal to call a sititng on the Seanad as there was no Taoiseach elected and as such there was certain legislation, including the OASA which were due to expire. the court found in favour of the Taoiseach saying that the constitution clearly states that the Seanad has 60 members. it set out the new test on how courts should interpret the constitution

EDIT TO CLARIFY this was in june of last year, Leo was interim Taoiseach and awaitng an appointment of new Taoiseach and the constitution states it can only be the incoming president that elects the 11 members of the seanad - the other members f the elected seanad wanted to sit wihtout them but Taoiseach refused to direct the President to call them to a sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

mcdurh wrote: »
    You think? I've left resulting trusts, purpose trusts and constructive blank that's a serious worry for me, part of me is thinking about adding one of them to the list but I just don't have the time.

I would also feel more confident if I had that much covered too. So far I have those with the exclusion of trustees and probably undue influence at this stage. Ahhhhhh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45 examsfe12021

eoin carolan's seminar

did people who have done the seminar in the past find it relevant to the exam that year? worried i'll place too much focus on the topics he outlined in the seminar and end up neglecting other topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Totally agree. I typed out my rough plan under a "Rough Plan" heading and then started my answer underneath under "Answer" heading like I would in the written exam. I didn't use sticky notes or anything as found them annoying.

I do the same but if I can offer one tip. Do not put the heading as "Rough Work" because it tells the examiner to ignore it and that it's essentially just scribbles meant for you. Call it "Answer Notes", then put a line under it and start your actual answer... That way if the examiner gets to the end and is looking for marks to bring you over the line. They can find it in there as it's technically part of your answer. It's the smallest thing, but it can make the biggest difference!

company
    starting to freak out a bit over company, feel like i really don't have the space in my brain to retain any information. does anyone have any predictions that could help me narrow down topics? much appreciated

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    I do the same but if I can offer one tip. Do not put the heading as "Rough Work" because it tells the examiner to ignore it and that it's essentially just scribbles meant for you. Call it "Answer Notes", then put a line under it and start your actual answer... That way if the examiner gets to the end and is looking for marks to bring you over the line. They can find it in there as it's technically part of your answer. It's the smallest thing, but it can make the biggest difference!

could they not mark you down for talking about irrelevant topics? it has been noticed in so many examiner reports that people spoke about things that were not relevant to the particular facts of the question. I am really just asking if people think that the examiner looks to give marks like this? I was worried in the last sitting to leave notes as I was afraid I would be marked down for "writing everything I know about a topic"

Hi all,

Could anybody explain to me in layman’s terms the concept of unconscionability when seeking proprietary estoppel in equity?

TIA xo

could they not mark you down for talking about irrelevant topics? it has been noticed in so many examiner reports that people spoke about things that were not relevant to the particular facts of the question. I am really just asking if people think that the examiner looks to give marks like this? I was worried in the last sitting to leave notes as I was afraid I would be marked down for "writing everything I know about a topic"

I’d say as long as you apply the real vent case law in the body of your answer that you wouldn’t be marked down for citing other cases in your plan.

this was my thought process for the last sitting also. i think i ended up deleting some rough work as it wasn't relevant/in my answer so i didn't want to be dumping down information for the sake of it. i also quickly realised that where i lost marks in Qs was because my answers were so poorly structured due to info dumping haha.
    i suppose its difficult to know what the examiner will do but if your rough work is very clearly not your main body of the answer then it should be safe enough to leave it in, surely?

flepetch wrote: »
    this was my thought process for the last sitting also. i think i ended up deleting some rough work as it wasn't relevant/in my answer so i didn't want to be dumping down information for the sake of it. i also quickly realised that where i lost marks in Qs was because my answers were so poorly structured due to info dumping haha.
    i suppose its difficult to know what the examiner will do but if your rough work is very clearly not your main body of the answer then it should be safe enough to leave it in, surely?

This makes sense too, suppose as the plan would be in the body of the answer it’s hard to tell, ugh it’s all a guessing game for me at this point tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

fe1person wrote: »
    Constitutional Lecture with Eoin Carolan - The Leading Irish Cases of 2020

Hey! For anyone that missed it, this guy tweeted the lecture.

https://twitter.com/ronanlupton/status/1374003670745034752

Hadn't heard of these - SMH

What topics do these come under?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Apologies if it’s already been asked but does anyone know if tabbing the legislation is permitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

You definitely won't be penalised for writing a 'notes dump' under the heading of rough work or essay plan at the start of your answer! Im on my last 2 exams and I've done a rough work section on my actual answer booklet for every exam. I don't necessarily write everything about the whole topic as that would be a waste of time but i do write a good few cases down that I don't end up thinking are relevant to my answer. I think having this section at the beginning is really helpful to come back to if your mind goes a bit blank while writing the answer

Advertisement