Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Thank you very much Awash. Kind of difficult to see how that case could be examined on the paper (apart from in the case note question). I could be vert wrong though. I found today's seminar quite confusing. Anybody have predictions based on today.

I would love a question on interpretation, Pres/AG, SOP and a nice FOE/Property right type question.

my predictions are definitely property
    family
    liberty
    equality
    AG
    non- justicability
    standing

i think for interpretation/AG/Pres it will be one or the other or the AG and possible case note on the bacik case

Does anybody have any way to synopsise this case when it comes to the Family and Article 41. I don't really get the point of it/see it's significance. I don't even know where I could slot it into my notes on Family. Today's seminar really through me!! Panicking at this point!!

I wonder could Gorry come up as an essay to ask about the family and Article 41 in some way.

also showed a sort of thinking of moving away from the traditional concept of marriage - although it did not expressly rule on that point

clarified that there is no automatic constitutional right of co habitation

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Just Criminal and Constitutional for me, and I'm sitting 4 in a row and then EU the following week. I suppose they'll be added tomorrow or the day after!

christ i was feeling woefully sorry for myself with 3 this week. fairplay, that’s some going (and gives me perspective)!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

bluerthanu wrote: »
    christ i was feeling woefully sorry for myself with 3 this week. fairplay, that’s some going (and gives me perspective)!

Just got a tad unlucky with the reworked timetable...ah well!

Good luck with your exams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

Hey, I am preparing the following for EU
    Direct effect and MS liability
    Institutions
    Judicial Review
    Competition Law
    General Principles.

Could I get away with only doing FMOG or FMOW not both? I feel like there is too much work in FMOW. Or does anyone know how to narrow down the content for FMOW/Citizenship

I'm preparing Sources, General principles as back ups, Direct and Indirect Effect with MS liability as usually together, Judicial review, Citizenship - with a special focus on TCN focused - FMOW also as these can be mixed in a question, FMOG and services as FMOG has come up with services before but can be separate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone sitting Criminal Law tomorrow!

This will (hopefully) be my last sitting of these exams if I can manage to plough through 5 at once. Fingers crossed for us all that it's a kind paper tomorrow morning.

Same, 3 this week and 2 next week. Realistically feel I won't be passing very many, but I'm at the stage of burnt out that I really just don't care anymore.

Good luck to all!

Same, 3 this week and 2 next week. Realistically feel I won't be passing very many, but I'm at the stage of burnt out that I really just don't care anymore.

Good luck to all!

my outlook is the more you pass the less you have to do so if you pass three ypu only have 2 left so win win haha (trying to console myself )

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RaffRiff01

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    I have the slides if you want

Any chance you can send the seminar slides to me as well? Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

RaffRiff01 wrote: »
    fe1fi20 wrote: »
    I have the slides if you want

Any chance you can send the seminar slides to me as well? Thank you so much!

If you go back a few pages a kind soul already posted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Can't believe I have to turn around after criminal tomorrow and somehow magically learn all my constitutional notes, and also research/add in what he said today - losing the will to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

B vs Director of Oberstown - am I right in saying that the child was denied remission on the basis that he didn't satisfy a breach in Article 40.1 because he wasn't comparing like with like? My understanding is that he is comparing a child procedure with an adult procedure, as opposed to a child with a child. Should you talk about how age discrimination isn't presumptively invalid and it is on the applicant to prove it is arbitrary or unfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭phildub

FEONE wrote: »
    B vs Director of Oberstown - am I right in saying that the child was denied remission on the basis that he didn't satisfy a breach in Article 40.1 because he wasn't comparing like with like? My understanding is that he is comparing a child procedure with an adult procedure, as opposed to a child with a child. Should you talk about how age discrimination isn't presumptively invalid and it is on the applicant to prove it is arbitrary or unfair?

The first part is right, I dont think age discrimination came into it though, my understanding of the case was that it had to do with the fact that the child school gave consessions earlier on such as day passes etc which were not enjoyed by the adult prisoners. I didn't see anything about age but I am open to correction as I don't want to be wrong in the exam!!

FEONE wrote: »

He was arguing for enhanced remission on the basis of Byrne v Director of Oberstown and argued that it was a breach of equality that an adult was entitled to enhanced remission and a child wasn’t. The court found no breach of the article due to the fact that there was a legitimate reason why there is a difference in treatment between an adult detainee and a child detainee

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

phildub wrote: »
    The first part is right, I dont think age discrimination came into it though, my understanding of the case was that it had to do with the fact that the child school gave consessions earlier on such as day passes etc which were not enjoyed by the adult prisoners. I didn't see anything about age but I am open to correction as I don't want to be wrong in the exam!!
    He was arguing for enhanced remission on the basis of Byrne v Director of Oberstown and argued that it was a breach of equality that an adult was entitled to enhanced remission and a child wasn’t. The court found no breach of the article due to the fact that there was a legitimate reason why there is a difference in treatment between an adult detainee and a child detainee

Thank you both ! head is fried trying to understand and make sense of whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kellyg248

Hi, would you have this question for Tracing?
    K

I was advised by Sarah at the Law Society that they will only show up on the day.
    K

Is the timetable correct on the Law Society site? Equity and Company on Thursday and Friday this week?

Panic now as I took wed/thurs/fri from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭phildub

Kellyg248 wrote: »
    Is the timetable correct on the Law Society site? Equity and Company on Thursday and Friday this week?

Panic now as I took wed/thurs/fri from work!

Yes criminal 2mro then constitutional then equity then company on fri

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fe1prep2021

Is it safe to exclude the courts, public order offences, perjury/contempt and offences against the state for criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Is it safe to exclude the courts, public order offences, perjury/contempt and offences against the state for criminal?

I hope so lol I left them out too except perjury/contempt but vv basic knowledge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fe1prep2021

ruby1998 wrote: »
    I hope so lol I left them out too except perjury/contempt but vv basic knowledge!

Yeah I can't be bothered at this stage learning any more I will just revise what I have done, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jjjjjop

Has world wide marevas ever come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I am going to cram tomorrow with a level of intensity that I have never crammed before. Hopefully this will be my last ever FE1 exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Would anybody have a decent summary of Bacik case?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

EU

anyone hazard a guess which essays will come up? I'm hoping fundamental rights not Charter, that came up November and essay on Art 263 AG Jacobs on UPA because equivalence essay came up November too. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JimmyJazzz

I am going to cram tomorrow with a level of intensity that I have never crammed before. Hopefully this will be my last ever FE1 exam.

Best of luck, HS. You've definitely put your time in. Your posts stick out clearer to me as a fellow Hobbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

Would anybody have a decent summary of Bacik case?

Bacik and Ors were challenging the refusal of the Taoiseach to call a sitting of the Seanad as certain legislation was due to expire - Varadkar was the interim taoiseach and as such argued that as no Taoiseach had been duly elected could not fulfil the obligations set out in Articles 18.3, 18.8, 18.10.2.
    Court agreed and took a literal interpretation of the Constitution - Seanad has 60 members - clear and unambiguous provision. This set a new test for constitutional interpretation. It was held that the starting point is to consider the literal words used and having determined this, it will be necessary next to consider the provision in the context of the constitution as a whole.
    In the event of ambiguity or in the event that there is a conflict with other provisions of the constitution - necessary to seek a harmonious interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

can anyone give me any clarity in what cases to discuss regarding non justiciability?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

nicolesd wrote: »
    can anyone give me any clarity in what cases to discuss regarding non justiciability?

His examiner report from March 2020, albeit brief, shows you what he is looking for if an essay like that came up again. It was a quote from the Kerins case, so it and O'Brien are 2 cases that show the courts will intervene (in extreme cases) in an area that traditionally would be seen to be non-justiciable. Then he said that people also discussed socio-economic cases where the courts have been hands-off- I'm thinking Sinnott, TD, etc here.

I know Carolan is very hard to predict but I don't know if a full essay would be dedicated to Justiciability again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

gonna be a long day of cramming constitutional ahhh

Advertisement