Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ejm47

Quick question re the Kerins case and O'Brein. How is it that O'Brien succeeded yet Kerins didn't in what are quintessentially identical cases? Been googling around but I'm down a rabbit hole and beyond confused

Hope this helps!! From a handy (but v long) paper I found by Rossa Fanning SC:

https://www.mhc.ie/uploads/pdf/Kerins__OBrien_Paper_~_Rossa_Fanning_SC.PDF

"58. The fairly fundamental, albeit simplistic, question that might be asked, by an inquisitive law student is why did Mr. O’Brien lose and Ms. Kerins (at least partially) win?

59. Perhaps surprisingly, given that the two cases were heard by identically composed Courts and were decided contemporaneously, it is not easy to answer that question. Moreover, it is far from easy, in light of the decision in Kerins, to offer a confident view as to when the Superior Courts will be minded to intervene again.

60. The simplest way of distinguishing between the cases seems to be that the complaint of Mr. O’Brien was founded upon comments made by individual members of the Oireachtas which were constitutionally privileged. The case brought by Ms. Kerins was founded upon a criticism of the legality of the actions of PAC as a whole, which had already been condemned as ultra vires by CPP, part of the Oireachtas itself.

61. If Mr. O’Brien’s case was incapable of being seen as other than a collateral attack on constitutionally privileged speech in the Oireachtas, it is frankly not obvious why that of Ms. Kerins did not fail for precisely the same reason. Could it not be said that at the core of her complaint was what members of the PAC said to her and about her during her seven hour ordeal in February 2014? And if they could have made the same prejudicial and unfair comments in the Dáil chamber without risk of judicial intervention, why should the courts offer a remedy in circumstances where they showboated at a Committee as distinct from in the Dáil chamber itself?"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Quick question re the Kerins case and O'Brein. How is it that O'Brien succeeded yet Kerins didn't in what are quintessentially identical cases? Been googling around but I'm down a rabbit hole and beyond confused

Don't have my notes on me at the minute so I could be wrong, but I was under the impression it was the other way around?
    In Kerins, she succeeded because the court wasn't being asked to hold any individual TD amenable for their utterances - they were just being asked to rule that the PAC as a whole had breached her rights (as they questioned her beyond what she had been invited for etc) Also, CPP had already found PAC had breached rules. Plus, a lot of it came down to the fact that if the Courts did not offer some sort of remedy to Kerins, she would have no remedy as the Dail offered none.
    In O'Brien on the other hand, CPP found McGrath and Doherty had done nothing wrong. What O'Brien was essentially seeking judicial review on was the CPP's decision not to punish Doherty and McGrath for their utterances. So O'Brien wanted the court to indirectly hold Doherty and McGrath amenable for their utterances, by saying "Oi, CPP, ye better give out to the lads for what they said!" Privilege means they are immune from direct and indirect attempts to make them amenable for utterances.

So to summarise, Kerins the Court thought it was okay because they weren't holding anyone in particular amenable for an utterance - just the general conduct of the PAC. O'Brien the Court refused relief because by finding CPP were wrong in not punishing the TDs they would essentially be holding the TDs amenable to the Court... except indirectly.

Anyways that's just what I made of it. I may be wrong but sure what odds, it'll be over this time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Constitutional

If we get a question on equality before the law- is this referring to equality or is it requiring an answer on open justice (Gilchrist etc) just want to get an opinion. Find it confusing what exactly a question on equality before the law wants u to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fLawless123

Is anybody else not able to see Equity and the other subjects on the calendar on Betterexaminations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

Is anybody else not able to see Equity and the other subjects on the calendar on Betterexaminations?

they only seem to put the exam up the night before/morning of an exam so I wouldn't worry, I can see Constitutional and nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

ejm47 wrote: »
    Hope this helps!! From a handy (but v long) paper I found by Rossa Fanning SC:

https://www.mhc.ie/uploads/pdf/Kerins__OBrien_Paper_~_Rossa_Fanning_SC.PDF

"58. The fairly fundamental, albeit simplistic, question that might be asked, by an inquisitive law student is why did Mr. O’Brien lose and Ms. Kerins (at least partially) win?

59. Perhaps surprisingly, given that the two cases were heard by identically composed Courts and were decided contemporaneously, it is not easy to answer that question. Moreover, it is far from easy, in light of the decision in Kerins, to offer a confident view as to when the Superior Courts will be minded to intervene again.

60. The simplest way of distinguishing between the cases seems to be that the complaint of Mr. O’Brien was founded upon comments made by individual members of the Oireachtas which were constitutionally privileged. The case brought by Ms. Kerins was founded upon a criticism of the legality of the actions of PAC as a whole, which had already been condemned as ultra vires by CPP, part of the Oireachtas itself.

61. If Mr. O’Brien’s case was incapable of being seen as other than a collateral attack on constitutionally privileged speech in the Oireachtas, it is frankly not obvious why that of Ms. Kerins did not fail for precisely the same reason. Could it not be said that at the core of her complaint was what members of the PAC said to her and about her during her seven hour ordeal in February 2014? And if they could have made the same prejudicial and unfair comments in the Dáil chamber without risk of judicial intervention, why should the courts offer a remedy in circumstances where they showboated at a Committee as distinct from in the Dáil chamber itself?"

thanks very much for sharing that. in my current delirious state I think I got too much amusement from this line: ‘ To describe PAC’s treatment of Ms. Kerins as that of a kangaroo court (now an orthodox view in more reflective quarters in Leinster House) would perhaps be unkind to kangaroos.’

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

jus_me wrote: »
    Constitutional

If we get a question on equality before the law- is this referring to equality or is it requiring an answer on open justice (Gilchrist etc) just want to get an opinion. Find it confusing what exactly a question on equality before the law wants u to get into

If I saw the word equality it would be taking me directly to Art 40.1 & all the jurisprudence that comes with it. Probably be a difference in treatment in a problem Q, some form of discrimination. An essay on equality would be nice imo.

If Gilchrist comes up it will either be in an essay form talking about open justice or a problem question where someone is seeking a hearing in camera, so you'll have to advise them on the likelihood.

Can't really see a question where you'd be interlinking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Equity
    anyone else leaving out secret trusts? seems like its due up not sure if it'd be better to focus on resulting trusts and express trusts instead? would be grateful for any advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

What parts of Liberty are people focusing on most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Fe123 wrote: »
    What parts of Liberty are people focusing on most

i am wondering would a wardship matter come up again as it is still so topical but also it just was asked in nov, so I am going to go with illegality of detention per Ryan v Governor of Mount Joy Prison

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

flepetch wrote: »
    Equity
    anyone else leaving out secret trusts? seems like its due up not sure if it'd be better to focus on resulting trusts and express trusts instead? would be grateful for any advice!

I’m taking a gamble on it coming up. Covering tracing for the same reason too (light a candle for me)! The obvious trade-off is it uses up valuable time that could be spent cramming for the popular topics so depends on whether or not you’re willing to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Paraeagle wrote: »
    I’m taking a gamble on it coming up. Covering tracing for the same reason too (light a candle for me)! The obvious trade-off is it uses up valuable time that could be spent cramming for the popular topics so depends on whether or not you’re willing to take the risk.

yeah very fair, i'm also gambling on tracing! hating how unpredictable the paper seems to be.
    would i be right in saying secret trusts only come up as a problem Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

awsah wrote: »
    i am wondering would a wardship matter come up again as it is still so topical but also it just was asked in nov, so I am going to go with illegality of detention per Ryan v Governor of Mount Joy Prison

is this to do with haebus corpus?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

flepetch wrote: »
    yeah very fair, i'm also gambling on tracing! hating how unpredictable the paper seems to be.
    would i be right in saying secret trusts only come up as a problem Q?

Yep according to my manual/grid! There aren’t too many cases to remember for it either so at least it’s somewhat manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Property...

What’s the current position in Adverse Possession??? It always confuses me...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

At the point now where I’m questioning my own name but has mootness actually ever come up? I guess you can mention it, but substantively it’s always been locus standi, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 2020FE1

FEONE wrote: »
    is this to do with haebus corpus?

I’ve covered almost all of liberty except habeas corpus. There’s absolutely no way I can fit anything else in at this late stage.
    I feel like I’ve started from scratch since Mondays update. 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Aw lads. Brain is absolutely gone to mush. Considering packing it all in and becoming something that takes less effort - soundcloud rapper perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

since houses of oireachtas and keri a and o brien came up last year it would hardly come again would it ? i didn’t cover it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fe1prep2021

I haven't even glanced at liberty, am I taking a massive risk leaving it out? I couldn't string one sentence together about it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Iconic10 wrote: »
    since houses of oireachtas and keri a and o brien came up last year it would hardly come again would it ? i didn’t cover it

Covered it briefly on the off chance

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

I didn't cover it either .. the panic is really starting to set in

did liberty come up last year ?

bluerthanu wrote: »
    At the point now where I’m questioning my own name but has mootness actually ever come up? I guess you can mention it, but substantively it’s always been locus standi, right?

It never has!! I just got freaked out by everyone mentioning it on here hahaha only have 2 cases for it

did liberty come up last year ?

Came up in November 2020 paper - according to my grid that’s the first time it has come up since October 2016

Came up in November 2020 paper - according to my grid that’s the first time it has come up since October 2016

i haven’t covered it. was about to do it now - have ye left it out ? seen some people saying they are covering it

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Hamerzan Sickles is getting thoroughly constitutional law'd tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FE1swag

RE Attorney General QS
    Does anyone have a summary of the O'Shea v AG case?

• Advertisement

i haven’t covered it. was about to do it now - have ye left it out ? seen some people saying they are covering it

I left it out!

Advertisement