Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

jjjjjop wrote: »
    I was going to leave out express trust seeing as there was 2 qs on it in the last paper, do you think this is a mistake ?

Wouldn’t think so. I’ve glanced over my notes but not giving it as much time as the other types of trust. If it’s to come up, I’m thinking maybe a problem Q involving the 3 certainties? Would be surprised if Strong v Bird or DMC appeared again!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

I was going to leave out express trust seeing as there was 2 qs on it in the last paper, do you think this is a mistake ?

I sat equity last November but just thought I’d chime in to say that I had from my grids that injunctions are only ever one question generally (although didn’t come up then!), 2 out of specific performance, undue influence or proprietary estoppel always come up (SP didn’t come up in November), and then charities is always at least one question. So, in theory, on a normal paper if you do those five (albeit large) topics you have four questions.

Last November was an exception because he focused on express trusts and no injunctions. Haven’t a clue if he’s still the examiner. I’d probably do resulting trusts and trusteeship (and if your really want to be prepared, try predict the note q, they repeat all the time) with the above if I was sitting tomorrow. Doubt all the express trusts would come up again because they’re a bit niche but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

awsah wrote: »
    That's what I did also,new test in the CC case came in handy

Thanks to you for mentioning that a while back, I stuck it in on my notes and luckily I did because of its relevance of it in that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

FE1_2020_ wrote: »
    Thanks to you for mentioning that a while back, I stuck it in on my notes and luckily I did because of its relevance of it in that question.

Aw your welcome,ive realised I've said a lot of irrelevant stuff on here about the constitutional exam so I'm keeping my opinions to myself for the next 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Murphs122

law987 wrote: »
    So what were the 8 questions that came up for constitutional?

Approx

Essays:
    - Judicial Independence
    - Non-Delegation Doctrine
    - ECHR

Case Note:
    - Re Haughey
    - Kerins
    - ?

Problems
    - Fair Procedures / Workplace disciplinary hearing
    - Assault Charge brought 40 years later, undue delay, lack of witnesses due to Gardaí negligence
    - Protest about Covid Restrictions, freedom of assembly

The other 2 cases were:
    Maher v Minister for Agricultures
    McDonald v Bord na gCon

• Advertisement

What are people's feeling on Eoin as a marker ? If your making a good stab at the 5 questions with case law but may have missed an issue here and there but obviously caught the integral issues within the question is he a fair enough marker to get over the line ? For instance I missed the aspect on discussing the right to earn a livelihood in the vet problem q, I was caught for time and could only hash out the fair procedures issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

I thought the old examiner was back for this sitting no??? There was a different one last sitting I think because the usual one was on maternity leave???

Really? That's a massive relief so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Has anyone prepped a 3 certainties PQ or might they even have like a 1 sheet summary? Can swap for anything else! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fe1person

Company

Any chance anyone has the examiner reports for March and Nov 2020? I'd be very grateful!

awsah wrote: »
    Aw your welcome,ive realised I've said a lot of irrelevant stuff on here about the construction exam so I'm keeping my opinions to myself for the next 3 :)

To be fair, its everyones responsibility to utilize their own judgment/approach so no need to be hard on yourself. Your input is valued and you definitely are great help with uploading material etc so my hats off to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lawlz

What are people's feeling on Eoin as a marker ? If your making a good stab at the 5 questions with case law but may have missed an issue here and there but obviously caught the integral issues within the question is he a fair enough marker to get over the line ? For instance I missed the aspect on discussing the right to earn a livelihood in the vet problem q, I was caught for time and could only hash out the fair procedures issues etc.

Wondering the same becuase I left out fair procedures and did livelihood in that question!

Pretty sure I messed up Kerins case note q aswel because I focused on 2017 case not 2019. Freaked!

What are people’s thoughts on this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    I agree I found that off-putting as ministers are democratically elected like. The only parts where I could really engage with the question were cases like McGowan or John Grace as they were labour court officials so not elected. But that was like 3/4 lines! I waffled on about the P&P test in general

Yeah I outlined the concept of delegated legislation then the test used (P & P) used case law and explained the importance of the Legislature having control over delegated legislation through supervision of the body etc but stressed the importance of being able to delegate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Is anyone else sh*tting themselves for equity tomorrow?
    I'm taking a bit of a gamble and leaving out tracing, estoppel and constructive trusts. Have everything else covered, but it would be just my luck that all 3 of those topics come up! Also am slightly traumatized from seeing all the people who said they thought the November paper was grand but then ended up failing..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Lawlz wrote: »
    Wondering the same becuase I left out fair procedures and did livelihood in that question!

Pretty sure I messed up Kerins case note q aswel because I focused on 2017 case not 2019. Freaked!

What are people’s thoughts on this?!

My thoughts are we have all studied hard and tried our best and I'm sure our hard work will pay off!

I missed so many topics in questions but I literally had 4 minutes left at the end to spell check and format so I didn't have time to write any more than I did. I think the reason that marks are so low in the fe1s in general (people getting 50-60 when they wrote good papers) if because it is impossible to write everything they are asking us to.

Going off constitutional alone, I wasn't happy with the questions and I didn't think I had enough case law learnt for the topics but I did 5 questions I feel like I made arguments that I could back up with case law and then concluded at the end to advice the hypothetical client. No more I could have done and I am positive that that is enough to at least get me 50%, which is all I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

Yeah I outlined the concept of delegated legislation then the test used (P & P) used case law and explained the importance of the Legislature having control over delegated legislation through supervision of the body etc but stressed the importance of being able to delegate ...

Christ, in the space of two minutes I realised I spoke about the 2017 Kerins case and called them "Scope & Objectives" instead of "Principles and Policies" in the Non Delegation question... Damn International Relations :( might not come back on here until after the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Al1501 wrote: »
    Really? That's a massive relief so!

If I’m right!!! Heard that on this a few days ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    I agree I found that off-putting as ministers are democratically elected like. The only parts where I could really engage with the question were cases like McGowan or John Grace as they were labour court officials so not elected. But that was like 3/4 lines! I waffled on about the P&P test in general

I did the same but I definitely felt like it was baiting you to talk about NPHET. Especially once I heard "unelected, unaccountable officials" it read like one of those conspiracy nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Is anyone else sh*tting themselves for equity tomorrow?
    I'm taking a bit of a gamble and leaving out tracing, estoppel and constructive trusts. Have everything else covered, but it would be just my luck that all 3 of those topics come up! Also am slightly traumatized from seeing all the people who said they thought the November paper was grand but then ended up failing..

yep i am absolutely bricking it! ive left out estoppel and constructive trusts too and feel like i don't even know any of the topics i have learnt! will have to cram in the morning it seems
    also basically banking on questions that ive covered as sample answers to come up so please light a candle for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

When will results be out to people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

I heard from a number of people that he is a very nice marker. Tries to give you marks for anything. Was told to just get 5 decent answers down and you should pass. Sounds like 5 ok answers in this will pass you rather than needing 5 perfect answers like for some other subjects. Today was my first time sitting it tho so that's only what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I personally don’t like him as a marker had him in college but I think it just depends haha I’m trying not to put much thought into it

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

I personally don’t like him as a marker had him in college but I think it just depends haha I’m trying not to put much thought into it

What way don’t you like him as a marker ?

Well annoyed I paid the money now for his seminar, I was fullly versed on the Friends of the Irish Environment !

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jjjjjop

flepetch wrote: »
    yep i am absolutely bricking it! ive left out estoppel and constructive trusts too and feel like i don't even know any of the topics i have learnt! will have to cram in the morning it seems
    also basically banking on questions that ive covered as sample answers to come up so please light a candle for me lol

Light a candle for all of us!! i seem to be forgetting thing ive just learned its awful stressful like.

Im predicting for the paper Tracing, SP/RECT, either inteloctutory or mareva inj, estoppel q (dont think it came up in nov can someone correct me on this?), joint accounts/Secret trusts, cy pres doctrine.

Myself im leaving out anton pillar, recission, constructive trusts and going to leave out express trusts too cos i just dont have time so im taking a risk haha

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

Light a candle for all of us!! i seem to be forgetting thing ive just learned its awful stressful like.

Im predicting for the paper Tracing, SP/RECT, either inteloctutory or mareva inj, estoppel q (dont think it came up in nov can someone correct me on this?), joint accounts/Secret trusts, cy pres doctrine.

Myself im leaving out anton pillar, recission, constructive trusts and going to leave out express trusts too cos i just dont have time so im taking a risk haha

Estoppel came up as a problem question in November, I can send you the paper if that would be helpful

Mc96 wrote: »
    Estoppel came up as a problem question in November, I can send you the paper if that would be helpful

Oh god which q was it?? i have the paper thanks so much but didnt even notice it as a q, oh god im well and truely screwed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

Oh god which q was it?? i have the paper thanks so much but didnt even notice it as a q, oh god im well and truely screwed :(

Question 8 - it's a long PQ about a farm and inheritance

Mc96 wrote: »
    Question 8 - it's a long PQ about a farm and inheritance

Thank you for this <3<3

Would anyone have a notes on strong v bird? im in dire need haha

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ullaw22

Al1501 wrote: »
    I found these articles on it helpful as well.

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/georgina-wallace-let-there-be-light

https://www.childandchild.co.uk/legal-guides/party-walls-rights-of-light-and-boundary-disputes/rights-to-light-an-outline-guide/

And here's Dennings' full quote from Phipps and Pears:

“Suppose you have a fine view from your house. You have enjoyed the view for many years. It adds greatly to the value of your house. But if your neighbour chooses to despoil it, by building up and blocking it, you have no redress. There is no such right known to the law as a right to a prospect or view.”

So kind - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Ais20 wrote: »
    Oh god I didn’t know that!! I have co-ownership, succession, easements with findings, adverse possession and family property done praying that has me covered
    If I’m right!!! Heard that on this a few days ago!!!

I've just gone back over my exam grid and past papers. Mortgages usually comes up as either a problem or essay asking how a bank may enforce security. Neither it nor co-ownership were on the November paper,. Given how consistent the paper normally is topic wise, if the usual examiner is back, would I be mad to say that succession, adverse possession, co-ownership, and mortgages would probably cover someone for property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Thank you for this <3<3

Would anyone have a notes on strong v bird? im in dire need haha

It’s definitely in the sample answers contained in the Google Drive that’s been shared here a good few times! Sorry I don’t have it to hand as I’m going to give it a skip myself given it appeared in November.

Advertisement