Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Duty not to make a profit came up

thank you, can anyone tell me what the topic was for question 3, was it some kind of resulting trust? also would any kind soul have the march 2020 paper, man I am panacking now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Ais20 wrote: »
    Just in relation to Contract law, looking for some opinions on whether or not yous think I would be covered with these topics: Offer + Acceptance, Consideration, Promissory Estoppel, Contractual Terms, Exemption Clauses, Consumer Protection, Misrepresentation, Mistake, Capacity, Discharge of Contractual Obligations and Remedies??

I have covered these also. I didn't cover the EU part of Consumer Law. It was about to tip me over the edge so I left it aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

Just listened to the NBN for Equity the 4 main topics he recommends covering:

Charitable Trusts/Cy-Pres and Non Charitable Purpose Trusts (he spends most of the video talking about these)
    Injunctions - Interloc., Mandatory, Mareva
    Trustess
    Tracing.

Just in case people are stuck for time and don't have the 30 mins to listen to him!

yep I watched it and realised I've have feck all cases for charities! I've start fresh now, had stupidly just done the sample answers only. This has made me worse. lol - I'm not I'm crying!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zlatorog

awsah wrote: »
    thank you, can anyone tell me what the topic was for question 3, was it some kind of resulting trust? also would any kind soul have the march 2020 paper, man I am panacking now!!

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Law101 wrote: »
    yep I watched it and realised I've have feck all cases for charities! I've start fresh now, had stupidly just done the sample answers only. This has made me worse. lol - I'm not I'm crying!

You'll be fine - take deep breaths and focus. It's amazing what you can learn when under pressure. Don't get bogged down on learning all of the cases, just pick the main headline ones.

*breathe*

(I'm trying to take my own advice here!!!)

• Advertisement

Zlatorog wrote: »
    Here you go

That's great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Does anyone have a sample answer or an essay on ultra vires prepared? I can't figure out how to structure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcarroll9

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how likely it is to come up, but the cy-près doctrine can come up either as an essay, instead of a charitable trust question, or it can come up as a mixed PQ!

What are you doing for proprietary estoppel?

Could anyone give me a mini summary of like 5 cases to learn? Haha

if somebody gives you that please send my way. panic station here tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

awsah wrote: »

Express trust, presumed resulting trust and advancement are what I have down for it (that’s according to Law Hero’s video on it, haven’t actually looked at the Q)!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

Planning on doing the following for EU

1. Direct effect and state liability
    2. General principles of the EU
    3. Institutions
    4. Freedom of workers and citizenship
    5. Freedom of goods
    6. Judicial review

Would this be enough for 5 questions on the exam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Hereforfe1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've ever had 7 full cases in an essay, fair play

I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic lol but anyway everyone is different in the way they answer questions. A couple of cases I only have 1 line for and no facts etc they're just to make one specific point so they don't really take up a lot to talk about for an essay

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

3. Institutions
    5. Freedom of goods
    6. Judicial review

this is what I am covering also - complete screwed myself over with 3 next week one after the other, so have barely revised EU and feeling really unprepared for it. Does anyone have concise general principle notes I could use? TIA !

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Whats the Company marker like normally? Panicking now I don't have a lot covered and from last November it seemed marked incredibly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

Does anybody have concise notes for restriction? my manual is all over the place feel like it includes a lot of unnecessary material

For restriction am i right in saying re tralee beef expounded on the la moselle test in considering common law duties but this caused uncertainty with the Supreme Court and was finally cleared up in Re Mitek Holdings?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Anybody slightly worried about being flagged? Went to the bathroom twice but accidently clicked ctrl+o and opened my documents folder twice instead of ctrl+i....hopefully won't be pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Can someone please explain to me the significance of Fyffes v DCC as it relates to SEE?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Tort

For Trespass to Land, would people just focus on covering private nuisance? Or should I have regard for trespass and public nuisance?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

FEONE wrote: »
    For restriction am i right in saying re tralee beef expounded on the la moselle test in considering common law duties but this caused uncertainty with the Supreme Court and was finally cleared up in Re Mitek Holdings?

Exactly. (Assuming you know the relevant details but that's it)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

From my notes (I could be wrong) I thought it also added that each director owes a duty to keep informed about company affairs and share control. It was a case regarding liability for a non-executive director. Then I was going to link it to passive directors maybe with Re Walfab Engineering and Cahill v O'Brien.

• Advertisement

bobbyness wrote: »
    From my notes (I could be wrong) I thought it also added that each director owes a duty to keep informed about company affairs and share control. It was a case regarding liability for a non-executive director. Then I was going to link it to passive directors maybe with Re Walfab Engineering and Cahill v O'Brien.

Small self-correct from me. The high court case affirmed what I said and also used the test from la moselle.

The supreme court was to remove a restriction placed on a non-exec director the liquidator agreed wasn't at fault. Court granted and was displeased with the ODCEs actions.

Again my notes I have could be wrong. I've gathered some from many sources and compiled them.

TCPIP wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me the significance of Fyffes v DCC as it relates to SEE?

As I've got it.

Court decided as DCC was the parent company of GL. GL Purchased shares in Fyffes, and sold at profit. Claimed insider trading (But failed) Since GL had no economic function/activities, just a subsidiary to DCC, they treated it as SEE. Think they also make a comment on how will treat a subsidiary and parent as SEE if it's simply trying to avoid legal or tax obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

3. Institutions
    5. Freedom of goods
    6. Judicial review

Same as my list, should be enough. Some others here have same list but with the addition of competition. I don’t and I won’t have time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Tort

Does anyone have any thoughts on Solicitor's Negligence coming up, it hasn't been up since 2014? The past few Professional Negligence questions have all been medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fe12020autumn

COMPANY

Can some please let me know if they have a company law grid that is updated with the last two papers? Would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

For company law and directors duties, is there any point in covering duties of care, skill and diligence? There's a good bit of case law but unless I'm mistaken there has never been question on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

I went 3 times to the bathroom and I wasn't flagged but I drank lots of water as I was quite stressed

Does anyone know someone who was flagged and what happened? I went out to the bathroom once but didn't say anything and I did get logged out of the exam a couple of times. Terrified I have been flagged now!

Tort

Does anyone have any thoughts on Solicitor's Negligence coming up, it hasn't been up since 2014? The past few Professional Negligence questions have all been medical.

I had this theory last year, spent so much time on it and then med neg came up, I was still able to answer it though so no harm done

the moral of this story is I am useless at predicting exam questions but I just wanted to let you know that I had the same thought! I think the cases are relatively simple!

Would anybody be able to explain the difference between inferring agency and single economic entity between subsidiaries please? Cant get my head around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Would anybody be able to explain the difference between inferring agency and single economic entity between subsidiaries please? Cant get my head around it

I belive agency is about control. Does the parent control the subsidiary? The list of six criteria from Smith, Stone and Knight. Whereas SEE is the day to day basis the companies behave as one (not about control).Companies are working as if they were the one company- sharing bank accounts, personnel etc.

Advertisement