Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

jjjjjop wrote: »
    qDid anyone do the quistclose q? I concluded that its an automatic RT and they can get the money.. is this right?

Yes that is correct. Did anybody answer the tracing question? If so, what was the conclusiom

Exam
    3 answers I am very happy with
    4 part A very happy part B a stab of a few lines with bullet points
    5 one page of roughwork formed into a last minute essay essay with bullets ran out of time

Equity is hard to pass with 5 good questions so unfortunately no matter how good my amswers are theyll still fail me

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

CMUL wrote: »
    When do the upcoming exams appear? Mine still isn't up for company?

Company still isn't up for me either, apparently some are only appearing the morning of the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

what are people sitting for comapny? its my last exam of 8 and would really appreciate any insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jjjjjop

Yes that is correct. Did anybody answer the tracing question? If so, what was the conclusiom

Exam
    3 answers I am very happy with
    4 part A very happy part B a stab of a few lines with bullet points
    5 one page of roughwork formed into a last minute essay essay with bullets ran out of time

Equity is hard to pass with 5 good questions so unfortunately no matter how good my amswers are theyll still fail me

I did the tracing one, said he was able to trace with re hallets estate and also had the option of re oatway.
    then mentioned the innocent volunteers with the beneficaries being paid and re diplock

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    Company - should I be covered with the below topics or is there anything that I need to add? A bit panicked now !

SLP
    Corporate Capacity - Ultra Vires
    Directors
    Corporate Borrowing
    Examinership
    Receivership
    Winding up
    Realisation of corporate assets
    Minority protections - Foss v Harbottle
    Restriction

Hopefully because that is what I am covering bar winding up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 bazu

LoJB wrote: »
    Equity

How did people answer the problem Q on undue influence?

Poorly, I think? Differentiated between presumed and actual undue influence, and then noted a lot of the commercial banking stuff, but tried to gear it towards the actual question. Cases I referenced - Etridge; Curran; Connolly; Skinner; Smyth; Hogan; O'Brien; Carrol, Fitzgerald, etc. Pointed out legal advice, and change from manifest disadvantage to contemporary stance. Emphasised a lot what was said in Etridge, but ignored the precise husband/wife/bank stuff as I could not find a way to shoehorn it in.

Doubt I answered it correctly, but I had prepared for the banking question.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

How do people find the contract examiner Is the exam marked harshly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ALK2!

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I’m trying not to worry about the toilet but now I’m thinking did I take too long.. I only went once and was probably gone for about 3ish minutes as I had to go to the upstairs one. I am definitely being paranoid now though lol it’s just because out of all my online exams so far this is the first time I’ve went hahah

Lol- I know this kind of worry but I think you’ll be ok. If we can’t get the stuff into our heads in the run up what can we realistically do in three minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FE1Rookies

Would anyone be able to share their Ultra Vires notes/Essay please?

Am I correct in saying the following came up

1. Quistclose (resulting trust to Get Rich Ltd)
    2. Secret trust (half specifically) Re Stead
    3. Undue influence (assumed and section 2A)
    4. Proprietary estoppel in the context of In unconscionability and it’s progression in Irish case law.
    5. Mareva injunctions ( I found the context of this difficult). Did anyone else touch on Brussels and WMI to bulk out?
    6. Trustee Q- didn’t do this but think it named to specific duties to discuss.
    7. Tracing Q- PQ
    8. Case note- on two of either non charitable trusts, poverty under charity act/ case law and doctrine of satisfaction.

Not in order.

• Advertisement

FE1Nov20 wrote: »

I thought so personally, but a lot of people I talked to think the contract examiner is fair. I have been told she is impressed with extra knowledge added in on recent updates in the law. I was advised after failing the first time to try to ‘wow’ her with extra info. Usually can get a good hint of where to go with recent updates in City night before notes.

I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

I have never wanted just one blank piece of paper beside me in all my life during these exams!! Find it so hard to plan an answer and spot issues without having it directly beside me to refer back to! Hope everyone is getting on okay but finding the online format difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ejm47

orlaghs wrote: »
    thanks for replying! im the same i had a coffee and loads of water so was always going to need to go in 3.5 hours lol really have psyched myself out over the day dreaming but you make a good point. no point in worrying i suppose

Did 4 in November and was looking all over the place (my head was fried trying to remember cases) and went to the toilet at least twice in each exam and passed all 4 no bother and nothing was flagged so I really wouldn't worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

Just a quick question, from your personal experience, in a problem q, if you use the correct law but come to the wrong conclusion, do you still get decent marks or would they take marks away from not coming to the correct outcome?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

bazu wrote: »
    Poorly, I think? Differentiated between presumed and actual undue influence, and then noted a lot of the commercial banking stuff, but tried to gear it towards the actual question. Cases I referenced - Etridge; Curran; Connolly; Skinner; Smyth; Hogan; O'Brien; Carrol, Fitzgerald, etc. Pointed out legal advice, and change from manifest disadvantage to contemporary stance. Emphasised a lot what was said in Etridge, but ignored the precise husband/wife/bank stuff as I could not find a way to shoehorn it in.

Doubt I answered it correctly, but I had prepared for the banking question.

I did this one last and completely ran out of time! Explained the different presumed etc but could only fit in Carroll Carroll case and said he would not likely get the will set aside cos he had legal advice too. I didn’t even get a chance to put in any of the cases for legal advice, back on inquiry. Think I just got the bones in though. I did well enough I think k on the others but you never know either..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

jjjjjop wrote: »
    I did the tracing one, said he was able to trace with re hallets estate and also had the option of re oatway.
    then mentioned the innocent volunteers with the beneficaries being paid and re diplock

Ya I mentioned all of that and then said that if the solicitor was acting in a fiduciary capacity then he has the right to trace but if he wasn't he won't be able to use this as a remedy as the question didn't saybwhy the solicitor had his money so I figured I might get an extra mark or two for the fiduciary cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

BBall2015 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, from your personal experience, in a problem q, if you use the correct law but come to the wrong conclusion, do you still get decent marks or would they take marks away from not coming to the correct outcome?

Thank you!

I came to the wrong outcome numerous times in various subjects in November and from looking at my scripts it doesn’t seem like I was deducted any marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

FE1Nov20 wrote: »

Yeah equity is the hardest marked usually. Someone did a survey and posted the data here (sample size would be a lot smaller than it actually is):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmbg4wsawju38a5/Screenshot%202021-01-28%20at%206.40.11%20PM.png?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Yeah equity is the hardest marked usually. Someone did a survey and posted the data here (sample size would be a lot smaller than it actually is):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmbg4wsawju38a5/Screenshot%202021-01-28%20at%206.40.11%20PM.png?dl=0

That nearly 70% in constitutional is giving me some hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fe1prep2021

Lallers96 wrote: »

Company percentage has well and truly made me dread tomorrows exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Company percentage has well and truly made me dread tomorrows exam
    Just in relation to your worries- I sat Company and got a result of 21% which literally made me fall off my chair.

That's what I input into that survey, before I got it rechecked. At the re- check, I was brought up to 45%. No explanation for the difference but I believe there was a number of people in the same boat at the time.

If, like me, people put their original scores for Company in there, it might have skewed the results slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JudeLawX

Contract

Does anyone have any predictions for contract?

And what must I absolutely cover??

- feeling like a lost soul right now. Seems you've to cover everything but I don't think my brain can handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    Just in relation to your worries- I sat Company and got a result of 21% which literally made me fall off my chair.

That's what I input into that survey, before I got it rechecked. At the re- check, I was brought up to 45%. No explanation for the difference but I believe there was a number of people in the same boat at the time.

If, like me, people put their original scores for Company in there, it might have skewed the results slightly.

21% to 45%? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Jesus! Thats a big jump 24%....how can there be no explanation. Dreading tomorrow

No idea about an explanation- I assume I was one of the ones whose paper went missing but they never rang me.
    I've tried get a copy of both to see the comparisons, but no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

No idea about an explanation- I assume I was one of the ones whose paper went missing but they never rang me.
    I've tried get a copy of both to see the comparisons, but no response.

Sorry if you don’t want to answer this but did you feel like you’d failed it coming out of the exam? Not feeling too confident going into it tomorrow

Fedone wrote: »
    Sorry if you don’t want to answer this but did you feel like you’d failed it coming out of the exam? Not feeling too confident going into it tomorrow
    No, I knew I didn't do great.

I wasn't happy on the day and actually finished all 5 questions an hour early, which I actually find is a sign I didn't know enough info.
    I was thinking that if I was going to pass, it would be by the skin of my teeth- but was genuinely shocked at the original 21%!

But I think 45% seemed generous if I'm being honest, looking back on my answers in comparison to other exams that I got over 50 in.
    I'm sure we'll all be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

I feel pretty comfortable for Company but that has FLOORED me

vkfe1 wrote: »
    I feel pretty comfortable for Company but that has FLOORED me
    Floored me too- If I ever get my paper back with the external examiner's marks, I'll be happy to share the differences between the two!
    I'm not holding my breath though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

Floored me too- If I ever get my paper back with the external examiner's marks, I'll be happy to share the differences between the two!
    I'm not holding my breath though..
    Fingers crossed for you this time - im sure you'll smash it.

Advertisement