Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

jjjjjop wrote: »
    What are the predictions for tort? only starting it now I know the bankers are Demamation and damages... but anything else thats would be good to study ? Also what are peoples thoughts about leaving causation out?

im leaving out limitation of actions personally because I can't seem to learn the essay. I've seen other people on here who are leaving out professional negligence!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PostHog

HI can anyone explain to me the significance of the decision in O'Mahony & Others v Promontoria (GEM) DAC 2020 in relation to offer and acceptance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cailinbeag00

I would be incredibly surprised if you couldn’t answer 5 questions on the paper with those topics

Same. The EU aspect is very complex I find. Cannot get my head around it so taking a chance of leaving it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cailinbeag00

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Is it unwise to leave the EU aspect of consumer protection out for contract? I find it a bit of a mess and tough to grasp.
    I have covered:
    Offer and Acceptance
    Mistake
    Misrepresentation
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses
    Consideration
    Privity
    Duress
    Capacity
    Undue Influence
    Estoppel
    Remedies
    Discharge

Should I be covered with leaving that out?

Same. I find the EU aspect very complex and just cannot retain it so I’m taking a chance and leaving it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Does anyone think its safe enough to leave frustration out given there was both an essay question and a problem question on it in November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ryan G

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Does anyone think its safe enough to leave frustration out given there was both an essay question and a problem question on it in November?

I still think there’s a chance considering Covid is still happening..

PostHog wrote: »
    HI can anyone explain to me the significance of the decision in O'Mahony & Others v Promontoria (GEM) DAC 2020 in relation to offer and acceptance?

I have it under counter offers as a form of rejecting a contract and the bank, by introducing a deposit when responding to O'Mahony's offer was not materially varying the offer and it counted as acceptance - not a counter offer. They said, based on the facts of the case, the introduction of the payment of a deposit wasn't met with any opposition by the respondent and thus wasn't a new condition or new material term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fseoighe

Same. The EU aspect is very complex I find. Cannot get my head around it so taking a chance of leaving it out.

if you just grab the main points from this article, it should be enough - just make sure that you know the unfair terms directives and online purchasing rights

Consumer protection is usually a banker in contract

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/consumer_rights_in_eu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

For succession, which two questions do people think are due to come up? I'm thinking interpretation of wills and admission of extrinsic evidence, out of legal/formality requirements and spouse/children succession what are people inclined towards?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

Quick question, Is there a timer in the exam or do you need to bring a watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Hi all, I'm covering Capacity for tomorrow but just want to make sure that I'm not alone in that the bulk of my notes are on minors, and I've very, very little on convicted persons, mental incapacity, intoxication and companies?

Really hoping I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

There's a countdown timer in the corner so it will start as 3:30 and work down. I would still advise bringing a watch though as when you are typing in the box it sometimes moves down so far that you have to scroll back up to check the timer.

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm covering Capacity for tomorrow but just want to make sure that I'm not alone in that the bulk of my notes are on minors, and I've very, very little on convicted persons, mental incapacity, intoxication and companies?

Really hoping I'm not alone.

I’m the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

Is there a good chance capacity will come up? Our lecturer didn’t say much about it and I haven’t done it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

caius97 wrote: »
    For succession, which two questions do people think are due to come up? I'm thinking interpretation of wills and admission of extrinsic evidence, out of legal/formality requirements and spouse/children succession what are people inclined towards?

I’m thinking definitely a problem question with a mixture of issues and an essay on extrinsic evidence. And I’m hoping for a third full question too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

caius97 wrote: »

I've been advised construction of wills and S.111 and S.117, would still cover intestate succession to some degree because if you're going with the approach for a PQ that the will is invalid you should briefly mention that intestacy comes into action then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

Could anyone shed any light on how hard a marker the equity examiner is who had him previously ?
    I did 2.5 answers to a good standard and the rest of my answers were short however I did fill them with case law but they were mostly just references while not going into that much detail with facts - I missed the Stead case for tracing which is a crucial one and key to the Q

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fe1nov

anyone any thoughts on the FMW and Citizenship question maybe appearing as an essay one like October 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

There is a countdown timer at the top of the screen but when you scroll down below the question to type your answer it goes out of view so a watch would be handy

I got kicked out of my last exam 3 times and had to log back in, it allows you to make up the lost time so I actually didn't finish the exam until 2:10ish so I would say keep on eye on both your watch and the countdown timer to keep track. I was a bit flustered trying to work out how long I had left

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

Contract

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Promissory Estoppel
    Exemption Clauses
    Consumer Protection
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Capacity
    Illegal Contracts
    Terms

Should I add in anything else? Are people thinking privity ?

• Advertisement

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    Contract

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Promissory Estoppel
    Exemption Clauses
    Consumer Protection
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Capacity
    Illegal Contracts.

Should I add in anything else? Are people thinking privity ?

I think you’re well covered with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

Can somebody please answer this? I see there are exam papers and reports for March 2020 in company and property but only tort and eu were sat. What is going on? I’m getting all Truman show on it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

Property -
    I am covering
    - Adverse possession
    - Easements
    - Findings
    - Family Property
    - Co-Ownership
    -Succession - all 3 questions
    Should this be enough, or should I cover one more? Getting very nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Ignacius wrote: »
    Can somebody please answer this? I see there are exam papers and reports for March 2020 in company and property but only tort and eu were sat. What is going on? I’m getting all Truman show on it :-)

All exams bar tort were sat in March 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

FE1Eire wrote: »
    Property -
    I am covering
    - Adverse possession
    - Easements
    - Findings
    - Family Property
    - Co-Ownership
    -Succession - all 3 questions
    Should this be enough, or should I cover one more? Getting very nervous

I’m planning on doing the exact same!! 2 questions on Succession please god!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

All exams bar tort were sat in March 2020

Cheers! So what was the sitting that only Tort and EU was sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Tort and EU were sat in August

August 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

13545327 wrote: »
    Could anyone shed any light on how hard a marker the equity examiner is who had him previously ?
    I did 2.5 answers to a good standard and the rest of my answers were short however I did fill them with case law but they were mostly just references while not going into that much detail with facts - I missed the Stead case for tracing which is a crucial one and key to the Q

Do you mean Re Stead for Secret Trust? Yes unfortunately a very tough marker. I saw some other candidates papers it is shocking how harshly marked the papers were even comparing them to sample answers.
    I got marked 8 for an answer that was almost a carbon copy of a sample answer i hit all the right caselaw and principles I was so angry and asked for feedback in my scores and still recieved nothing even my score sheet was missing. Honestly I think the equity marking scheme needs to be reviewed after the last sitting so many of us got 43 on the button and we all felt in the same boat the scores made no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Do you mean Re Stead for Secret Trust? Yes unfortunately a very tough marker. I saw some other candidates papers it is shocking how harshly marked the papers were even comparing them to sample answers.
    I got marked 8 for an answer that was almost a carbon copy of a sample answer i hit all the right caselaw and principles I was so angry and asked for feedback in my scores and still recieved nothing even my score sheet was missing. Honestly I think the equity marking scheme needs to be reviewed after the last sitting so many of us got 43 on the button and we all felt in the same boat the scores made no sense.

I disagree with saying he’s a very tough marker- he’s actually better than the previous one or at least doesn’t have the same reputation in college for being as tough as the previous one. But that being said he is very particular

He does prefer quality over quantity anyway I’ve found !

Advertisement