Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jjjjjop

13545327 wrote: »
    Could anyone shed any light on how hard a marker the equity examiner is who had him previously ?
    I did 2.5 answers to a good standard and the rest of my answers were short however I did fill them with case law but they were mostly just references while not going into that much detail with facts - I missed the Stead case for tracing which is a crucial one and key to the Q

Did you just not mention the case or did you not talk about joint tenants/tenants in common?

I failed it in november and I had 4 solid answers and only 1 medicore, failed it getting 41, so i personally think he must be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Would anybody have notes on succession they'd be willing to share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Will doing:

General principles, direct and indirect effect, member state liability, judicial review and preliminary reference, free movement of goods, workers, services, and citizenship cover me, or should I add competition law?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Will doing:

General principles, direct and indirect effect, member state liability, judicial review and preliminary reference, free movement of goods, workers, services, and citizenship cover me, or should I add competition law?
    If you have time Competition law is a banker so it makes sense. If you were stuck for time I would add in institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

August 2020

Thanks again! All over the shop. So then there was a full set of exams again in November. Ok I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

jjjjjop wrote: »
    Did you just not mention the case or did you not talk about joint tenants/tenants in common?

I failed it in november and I had 4 solid answers and only 1 medicore, failed it getting 41, so i personally think he must be tough

No I didn't talk about any of that - I rushed my prep for secret trust and didn't get a fully prepared answer down !

If it was any other paper I still think I would pass but the jury seems to be out on this examiner !

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

13545327 wrote: »
    No I didn't talk about any of that - I rushed my prep for secret trust and didn't get a fully prepared answer down !

If it was any other paper I still think I would pass but the jury seems to be out on this examiner !

My previous paper I got 47percent and the last one 43 I walked out feeling I got over the line because the standard was much better than my previous paper and I was quite shocked not even so much that I failed but at the harsh marks and the lower grade. 20 is the full marks and yet they almost only give a 10 for excellent standard.
    I am still at a loss as to how I got 8 marks for dmc I hit the nail on the head all the caselaw and relevant points no waffling on. So it makes me wonder is it curveball marking scheme perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

What's the marking in property like (with the usual examiner)?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

FE1Eire wrote: »
    Property -
    I am covering
    - Adverse possession
    - Easements
    - Findings
    - Family Property
    - Co-Ownership
    -Succession - all 3 questions
    Should this be enough, or should I cover one more? Getting very nervous

that's what i'm covering! hoping to get 2 succession Qs so i won't have to do a family property Q

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    What's the marking in property like (with the usual examiner)?

Very nice I believe, high pass rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

did anyone who did a prep course get predictions or guidance for tort?
    feel like there is so much to cover and so little time!
    i initially thought an essay on statute of limitations was due up but i think damages might be more likely, any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

Will doing:

I’ve covered exactly the same and institutions are quick to add in!

FE1Eire wrote: »
    I’ve covered exactly the same and institutions are quick to add in!

I don't know if I should add in institutions or competition law?? Only have time for one more!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

flepetch wrote: »
    did anyone who did a prep course get predictions or guidance for tort?
    feel like there is so much to cover and so little time!
    i initially thought an essay on statute of limitations was due up but i think damages might be more likely, any thoughts on this?

I’m in the same boat! I’m going with some educated guesses going by past papers and hoping to get lucky. I’m not going to leave myself short but I’m not going to cover everything either!!! I’m doing nuisance, occupiers, employers, trespass the person, defamation, DOC and causation, nervous shock and professional neg. damages and res ipsa loquitur essays then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE12020Law

Topics im covering for Tort:Negligence Duty of Care, Standard of Care, Causation, Remoteness, Rylands, Nuisance, Trespass, Defamation, Negligent Mistatement, Nervous Shock, Occupiers Liability, Passing Off, Defective Products, Vicarious Liability, Limiations, Pubic Liability, Animals Liability, Damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 buckaaabfe1

I disagree with saying he’s a very tough marker- he’s actually better than the previous one or at least doesn’t have the same reputation in college for being as tough as the previous one. But that being said he is very particular

He does prefer quality over quantity anyway I’ve found !

Was he not the external examiner for this sitting? I’m pretty sure it went back to the previous examiner as the internal marker ?

FE12020Law wrote: »
    Topics im covering for Tort:Negligence Duty of Care, Standard of Care, Causation, Remoteness, Rylands, Nuisance, Trespass, Defamation, Negligent Mistatement, Nervous Shock, Occupiers Liability, Passing Off, Defective Products, Vicarious Liability, Limiations, Pubic Liability, Animals Liability, Damages.

You might be overextending yourself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Was he not the external examiner for this sitting? I’m pretty sure it went back to the previous examiner as the internal marker ?

Oh I’ve no idea I sat it in November where he was the intern examiner

You might be overextending yourself here.

Yeah defininitely. Any reccomendation on what topic to cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 54321zz

Eeek I'm covering about half of this!! I'm leaving out Rylands, occupiers' liability, limitations, vicarious liability and public liability

• Advertisement

Yeah defininitely. Any reccomendation on what topic to cut?

You should be able to take out animal and public liability. Look at the grid too to figure out what else if possible to cut down.

54321zz wrote: »
    Eeek I'm covering about half of this!! I'm leaving out Rylands, occupiers' liability, limitations, vicarious liability and public liability

Occupiers Liability is always good to cover. Nice and easy topic.

54321zz wrote: »

Honestly I reckon I am overextending myself and the quality of my answers could suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 54321zz

Occupiers Liability is always good to cover. Nice and easy topic.

Agreed. Lawschool lecturer said it's less likely to come up though than other topics and I can't be covering the whole course unforch!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebeccaM90

flepetch wrote: »
    that's what i'm covering! hoping to get 2 succession Qs so i won't have to do a family property Q

Exactly what I’m covering bar family property. These were predictions from prep course so I’m hoping they will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Does anyone else want to pull their hair out after reading any of the griffith sample answers? I looked at ones for EU (which I'm terrified for because I just can't seem to wrap my head around some of the topics) and I honestly am just more confused than before I read it. They are ridiculously long and literally don't even refer to the facts of the question at all except for like 1 line at the end of the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Does anyone else want to pull their hair out after reading any of the griffith sample answers? I looked at ones for EU (which I'm terrified for because I just can't seem to wrap my head around some of the topics) and I honestly am just more confused than before I read it. They are ridiculously long and literally don't even refer to the facts of the question at all except for like 1 line at the end of the answer

I wouldn’t even look at them tbh they just copy and paste the manual

Only found them helpful for property and constitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Iso_123 wrote: »

Don't focus too much on sample answers. Most of them are very poorly written. You are better off just looking at exam reports, his are generally pretty detailed

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

I don't know if I should add in institutions or competition law?? Only have time for one more!

I did the lawschool prep and just didn’t cover competition myself - just didn’t have the head for it! But if you do, may be a better shout if you’re comfortable! I just found institutions went nicely with sources and you can pull lots from black stones if you get stuck!

• Advertisement

Griffith sample answers are almost universally poor across some subjects like EU and Torts and I would ignore them outright.

Advertisement