Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

FE1new wrote: »
    Guys whats the take on getting case names wrong like Harrison instead of Harris? If not sure are you better not to chance it? Sorry the cases are all blurring together in my brain

I don't think that would be too bad but if unsure, then mention some of the facts of the case so that they know what you are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

Contract

Is anyone not doing remedies such as damages, mitigating loses etc? I can't fit anymore in my brain. It's literally jumble at this stage -so I'm going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

Law101 wrote: »
    Contract

Is anyone not doing remedies such as damages, mitigating loses etc? I can't fit anymore in my brain. It's literally jumble at this stage -so I'm going to bed.

Jesus I would definitely try and have a quick read over it tomorrow morning if you can it might come in at the end of a PQ would be a handy few extra marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

anyone else overwhelmed by easements? think i'm going to leave it out - tips for mortgages please and what to focus on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

Would yous say penalty clause basic knowledge would suffice just incase it came up in a problem question, just because it came up as q8(b) in Nov 2020 so can’t imagine it coming up as a full essay again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Can anyone clarify this for me - does the Marriage Act 2015 essentially mean that the protections under the Family Home Protection Act 1976 extend to same-sex couples who are married? - probably a stupid question

Ais20 wrote: »
    Would yous say penalty clause basic knowledge would suffice just incase it came up in a problem question, just because it came up as q8(b) in Nov 2020 so can’t imagine it coming up as a full essay again?

Yeah I was thinking maybe mitigating losses or remoteness might come up as a essay

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify this for me - does the Marriage Act 2015 essentially mean that the protections under the Family Home Protection Act 1976 extend to same-sex couples who are married? - probably a stupid question

Short answer is yes!

kayleee123 wrote: »
    Jesus I would definitely try and have a quick read over it tomorrow morning if you can it might come in at the end of a PQ would be a handy few extra marks!

Dam it I didn’t want to hear that - but you’re right lol. I’ll have a look over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

Yeah I was thinking maybe mitigating losses or remoteness might come up as a essay

Oh wow really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

So I've studied everything bar:

EU section for Consumer Protection
    Illegal contracts and void contracts
    Capacity
    Discharge of a contract.

Do you think these can be left?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

kayleee123 wrote: »

remidies has shown up every year I would definitely try and have a look over it to at least be able to add to a PQ if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Is role of executor important for succession could anybody tell me? Two pages in my manual but don't want to learn unnecessarily

ok I am starting to panic now as dont recall either of these topics in my notes, what chapter are they in!

Pnaic over, I went over it first thing this morning, clearly don't remember any of it now though!

AA21 wrote: »
    Oh wow really?

I just there going through the past questions, some sort of damages essay comes up and penalties clauses were up in November. Just a thought.. hence I was panicking a bit there. I could be way off though.

awsah wrote: »
    ok I am starting to panic now as dont recall either of these topics in my notes, what chapter are they in!

Remedies

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

They’re in the remedies part under damages:)

They are part of remedies, specifically damages. Remoteness is the Victoria Laundry case and Mitigating loss is where a person has to take reasonable steps Cullen v Horgan and Dundalk Racing v Hyland.

thanks everyone, sorry for the panic, I thought they were full chapters or something, my brain is tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 P.O.POLLY

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    anyone else overwhelmed by easements? think i'm going to leave it out - tips for mortgages please and what to focus on

Yes it's confusing but apparently easements by prescription is what everyone is guessing will come up. Law changing on that area in Nov 2021 so it's topical and similar idea to adverse poss. (People guessed similar topical topics in other exams which didn't come up) but it might be no harm to look at that part of easements in particular

• Advertisement

They are part of remedies, specifically damages. Remoteness is the Victoria Laundry case and Mitigating loss is where a person has to take reasonable steps Cullen v Horgan and Dundalk Racing v Hyland.

would you mind telling me what the dundalk racing v hyland case says, it is not in my notes, I do have other cases though but this is obviously an irish case?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Is role of executor important for succession could anybody tell me? Two pages in my manual but don't want to learn unnecessarily

Leaving it out personally can't see where it has come up but could be wrong!

would you mind telling me what the dundalk racing v hyland case says, it is not in my notes, I do have other cases though but this is obviously an irish case?

No problem. Here is what I have.

Dundalk Racing v Hyland 2017
    The Court of Appeal has issued significant guidance on a plaintiff’s duty to mitigate his losses. A plaintiff who refuses a reasonable offer which would have the effect of avoiding unnecessary losses proceeds at considerable risk. This is especially so where the offer does not require him to forego rights claimed arising from the breach. Such a plaintiff may be refused damages he might otherwise be awarded. Significantly, however, the Court of Appeal also vacated the awards of damages. It did so because the bookmakers could have avoided the loss of profits they claimed. The principle applied is that a plaintiff cannot recover loss that could have been avoided had he acted reasonably. The plaintiff has a duty to take “all reasonable steps” to minimise his loss. What is reasonable in any case is a question of fact, though the standard by which the plaintiff is judged is not unduly harsh; the court should be pragmatic because it is the defendant, as wrongdoer, who put the plaintiff in that difficult position. So, for example, if the plaintiff has two reasonable ways of mitigating loss, the plaintiff is not unreasonable if it later transpires that the loss would have been less had he chosen the other option.
    However, the obligation to mitigate loss may require the plaintiff to enter into a contract (even under protest) with the party who the plaintiff says was in breach of the earlier contract.

No problem. Here is what I have.

Dundalk Racing v Hyland 2017

thank you so much, it is really apprecaited!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Could anyone tell me the absolute must know areas for remedies? Running out of time thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Won’t be doing it either! Only slightly unusual thing I’ve noticed was a beneficiary in a will attesting to it too!

Could anyone tell me the absolute must know areas for remedies? Running out of time thank you

Damages:
    Hadly v Baxendle test
    Expectation loss - what you expect the losses to be
    Speculative loss - what you speculated the losses to be
    Reliance loss - if you relied on the contract and expended money
    Recitification loss - one party can't gain a benefit
    Damages for emotional duress
    Mitigating factors
    Penal clause and liquidated damages

Recisssion is usually for Misrepresentation.

Damages, mitigation of damages and remoteness

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Won’t be doing it either! Only slightly unusual thing I’ve noticed was a beneficiary in a will attesting to it too!

thanks! Find the topic so broad and not even learnt off yet, I'll skip what I can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 T2020

Would anyone happen to have condensed notes on Citizenship for EU?

Advertisement