Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

awsah wrote: »
    So they come into force in 2021 but for a new easment post 2009 the timer starts then, anyone prior to 2009 the timer is still running as once they reach this dec they will have caught up to then12 year rule, otherwise the clock for them would have started at zero. It will be interesting to see if a question arises where the scenario is based in jan 2022 or something like that!

If scenario was based on 2022 how would you approach that? apply post 2009 rules only? My head is melted f*** off easements

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Just with regards contract, I felt the exam was a bit of a disgrace tbh. We're in the middle of a global pandemic, you should be making the exam slightly easier, not way harder. Changing from the normal 4 essay/4 problem question format to 1 essay/7 problem question format is a really unfair thing to do.

Even looking at Novembers examiners report, it states "We noted that many candidates were able to write very long and detailed answers given that they could type and had extra time allowances". This suggests that the examiner believes students had some sort of advantage when in reality it's the complete opposite. When I read that examiners report it gave me the impression that the examiner thought those who sat it online in November had an easier time than those who had sat it in person and, as a result, she tried to make this exam much more challenging. Maybe I'm wrong but I felt the contract examiner was out of line with today's exam.

I was raging too. I didn’t leave out any part of the course when I was studying but, as I intended on doing 3 or 4 essay Qs, my study was adapted for that purpose. I spent a long time looking at areas of reform, comparisons with other jurisdictions, academic commentary etc in preparation for the essays which was all completely useless to me today. Now I feel that time would have been much better spent just practising more problem questions.

I also find PQs take so much longer to work through and write. This is where essays can come in handy to eek back a bit of time.

At least everyone is in the same boat I guess?

I wonder is there some underlying assumption that for an online exam, it’s harder to cheat for PQs than it would be for essay Qs. Purely speculation of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

ruby1998 wrote: »
    If scenario was based on 2022 how would you approach that? apply post 2009 rules only? My head is melted f*** off easements

So of they are in 2022 you need to see when did the easment begin, if it was 2008 then the time has lapsed, if it is 2015 then it hasn't

But it will be interesting because if the easment started in 2002 then someone might say in their answer that it was pre 2009 so the 20 year limited applies. That is incorrect. The 20 year time limit applies right now up until Enforcement of the new act in dec where everyone is on a 12 year time limit

Hope that makes sense

So of they are in 2022 you need to see when did the easment begin, if it was 2008 then the time has lapsed, if it is 2015 then it hasn't

But it will be interesting because if the easment started in 2002 then someone might say in their answer that it was pre 2009 so the 20 year limited applies. That is incorrect. The 20 year time limit applies right now up until Enforcement of the new act in dec where everyone is on a 12 year time limit

Hope that makes sense

Thanks for that, think I'll have to hope for an easement essay or to avoid it altogether tbh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

Paraeagle wrote: »
    I was raging too. I didn’t leave out any part of the course when I was studying but, as I intended on doing 3 or 4 essay Qs, my study was adapted for that purpose. I spent a long time looking at areas of reform, comparisons with other jurisdictions, academic commentary etc in preparation for the essays which was all completely useless to me today. Now I feel that time would have been much better spent just practising more problem questions.

I also find PQs take so much longer to work through and write. This is where essays can come in handy to eek back a bit of time.

At least everyone is in the same boat I guess?

I wonder is there some underlying assumption that for an online exam, it’s harder to cheat for PQs than it would be for essay Qs. Purely speculation of course.

As disheartening as it may sound, I think it’s best to just discount the rationales and approaches of the examiners because they all seem to be so arbitrary. The reality is that these exams are a minefield of ungoverned hotchpotch. It’s not worth our upset because, unfortunately, the LS or anybody else will not care or do anything. The FE-1 system of examinations is just that sh**ty.

Time and again, they have shown a disregard for the most basic standards of fairness in how they approach us. All we can do is our best and hope to overcome it. Keep on trying your best. These will all (hopefully) soon be a distant memory. All of us here are in the same boat, and if we go on to qualify, please don’t forget the inequity of this system and try change it internally through LS if you can.

Apologies for the rant. Just my two cents to essentially say keep on trucking. Best of luck everybody in the remainder of your exams.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, think I'll have to hope for an easement essay or to avoid it altogether tbh lol

Things to know for easment questions
    1. Apply the characteristics of an easement set out in re Ellenborough Park to the question - are we dealing with an easement (most likely yes!)
    2. Go through these 4 points,back up with one or two case law for each
    3. 3 ways of acquisition of an easement
    A. It was reserved when the dominant tenant sold the servant land,or if not expressly reserved it was implied through necessity.
    B. It was granted by the servant tenement or implied through necessity
    C. Obtained through prescription either through the doctrine of lost modern grant or the pre/post dec 2009 time limits.
    4. Have some examples of case law where easements were created and know that the courts are slow to create new easments other than the ones already in the case law.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

Just with regards contract, I felt the exam was a bit of a disgrace tbh. We're in the middle of a global pandemic, you should be making the exam slightly easier, not way harder. Changing from the normal 4 essay/4 problem question format to 1 essay/7 problem question format is a really unfair thing to do.

Even looking at Novembers examiners report, it states "We noted that many candidates were able to write very long and detailed answers given that they could type and had extra time allowances". This suggests that the examiner believes students had some sort of advantage when in reality it's the complete opposite. When I read that examiners report it gave me the impression that the examiner thought those who sat it online in November had an easier time than those who had sat it in person and, as a result, she tried to make this exam much more challenging. Maybe I'm wrong but I felt the contract examiner was out of line with today's exam.

I thought it was a very tone deaf move on her behalf tbh. The more I thought about it today the more angry I got. Granted it would have been a bit of a 'shock' during any exam period but during a pandemic where we are forced to sit the exams at home using really cheap software it takes audacity or pure ignorance. I know many of us have been kicked out of exams multiple times, I find when I go to delete a letter or word it goes and deletes a sentence or when I'm typing away and look up the system is always 5-6 words behind me. You can't even see the question when you're typing your answer in the little box, this boards reply box is bigger than the exam one !! Personally I was typing until the last second and didn't even get to check my answers, I know a lot of people were the same.

Shocked about that examiner report I didn't notice that at all, maybe it shows the examiners have no idea about the problems people are having.

Things to know for easment questions
    1. Apply the characteristics of an easement set out in re Ellenborough Park to the question - are we dealing with an easement (most likely yes!)
    2. Go through these 4 points,back up with one or two case law for each
    3. 3 ways of acquisition of an easement
    A. It was reserved when the dominant tenant sold the servant land,or if not expressly reserved it was implied through necessity.
    B. It was granted by the servant tenement or implied through necessity
    C. Obtained through prescription either through the doctrine of lost modern grant or the pre/post dec 2009 time limits.
    4. Have some examples of case law where easements were created and know that the courts are slow to create new easments other than the ones already in the case law.

Omg thanks so much for writing that out really appreciate that! Will just try to go down through the steps and apply it to the facts as best I can even if I come to a horribly wrong conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tippertruck

What are the main changes to the institutions post Lisbon that have addressed the democratic deficit does anyone know?

I guess the increased use of the ordinary legislative procedure, introduction of the citizens inititiative, but what else??

Omg thanks so much for writing that out really appreciate that! Will just try to go down through the steps and apply it to the facts as best I can even if I come to a horribly wrong conclusion.

You will be ok, we will all be ok! (As I rock myself back and fourth sitting on my bed sipping on my 7th can of redbull of the day!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

eLawGirl wrote: »
    I thought it was a very tone deaf move on her behalf tbh. The more I thought about it today the more angry I got. Granted it would have been a bit of a 'shock' during any exam period but during a pandemic where we are forced to sit the exams at home using really cheap software it takes audacity or pure ignorance. I know many of us have been kicked out of exams multiple times, I find when I go to delete a letter or word it goes and deletes a sentence or when I'm typing away and look up the system is always 5-6 words behind me. You can't even see the question when you're typing your answer in the little box, this boards reply box is bigger than the exam one !! Personally I was typing until the last second and didn't even get to check my answers, I know a lot of people were the same.

Shocked about that examiner report I didn't notice that at all, maybe it shows the examiners have no idea about the problems people are having.

Mine started freezing near the end.

Yeah I definitely don’t think they know any of the problems they’re just given the paper to correct and that’s that

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Also good luck to everyone sitting exams over the coming days !!

I sat two this sitting (hopefully last two but not too confident so most likely will be back here panicking in a few months)

It’ll all work out in the end !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fe10000

TORT - focused mainly on company coming up to exams and am stuck for time, struggling to memorise DOC/causation now.
    Is it unreasonable to focus more on all the smaller topics and try to avoid negligence or would this be a fatal mistake?

Also good luck to everyone sitting exams over the coming days !!

I sat two this sitting (hopefully last two but not too confident so most likely will be back here panicking in a few months)

It’ll all work out in the end !!

Best of luck with your results

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Fe10000 wrote: »
    TORT - focused mainly on company coming up to exams and am stuck for time, struggling to memorise DOC/causation now.
    Is it unreasonable to focus more on all the smaller topics and try to avoid negligence or would this be a fatal mistake?

I think you need to know the basic principles of DOC and causation...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

EU

Is it safe to leave capital out of FMOP? And just cover workers, services and establishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Be able to write very long answers? Oh my days. Well... She'll definitely spit out her coffee when she sees my paper. She'll wonder does this person even take this exam seriously. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

FE1new wrote: »
    It was very off-putting. I find PQ questions tricky and take a long time. Having 7 on the one paper was daunting. The smallest piece of information can change what advice you give people. I'm drained after today and worrying now about how I did.

yeah same here, drained and gutted with the way it went down

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Does anyone know what the contract marker is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

UCC vESB

Was the flooding deemed an act of God in this case does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

UCC vESB

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40251230.html

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

UCC vESB

SC said no... ESB owed a duty of care and were negligent! How much will be determined by HC in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 19 church street 94

EU:
    Doing Institutions,
    DE/Ind Effect
    MS Liability
    JR
    FMOG, services, establishment
    FMOW / Citizenship

Should I be adding in General Principles to be safe? Not doing competition at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Was so shocked to hear about Contract today, and what she said in the Nov 2020 report?! Jesus. Don't really have anything to add except I really feel for you guys. I also would have been totally thrown with 7 problem qs :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

murray132 wrote: »
    EU

Is it safe to leave capital out of FMOP? And just cover workers, services and establishment!

Absolutely. Establishment rarely comes up either so you might be able to leave that out too

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Does anyone know what the contract marker is like?

I did wayyy better than I thought I would. Thought my paper was pure muck. Don't loose hope yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

In relation to EU - DE/MSL, if it was a problem q, would you mention Francovich and Factortame for the 3 step test for damages or only Factortame, as that's the most recent one used and developed the original test?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

Are people learning effectiveness & equivalency when they're learning MSL for EU law?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 P.O.POLLY

Anyone frantically cramming property? Why did I leave it this late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

When do the Autumn sittings usually take place?

Advertisement