Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 corbrian1998

Should I be covered for EU with General Principles, Insitutions, FMOG, FMOW/Equality/EU Citizenship, Judicial Review and DE/MSL. I’m not doing equivalence and practical possibility or free movement of services and establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Has anyone here ever not sat one of the exams they were planning to sit? Didn’t sit one of mine and feeling like a bit of a failure haha

• Registered Users Posts: 13 corbrian1998

Has anyone here ever not sat one of the exams they were planning to sit? Didn’t sit one of mine and feeling like a bit of a failure haha

I didn’t sit one of mine this sitting either. I was meant to sit 4 but I only did three I decided not to do it v last minute and I feel the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legalapples

I postphoned one of mine too! Annoyed by it but the Law Society put too much pressure on us with the delayed dates of the November sitting to delayed results and rechecks - I know it’s a pandemic so they’re not competently to blame but the time frame and even uncertainty for studying for these exams have been so messed up in comparison to other sittings! Try not to beat yourself up about it and try to think of it as a positive - there’s loads of time to chill and cram for the October sitting now !

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

Should I be covered for EU with General Principles, Insitutions, FMOG, FMOW/Equality/EU Citizenship, Judicial Review and DE/MSL. I’m not doing equivalence and practical possibility or free movement of services and establishment.

same here too, equivalence and practical possibility came up in November! so did the history of charter of fundamental rights. So I'm not doing the charter, just the side of fundamental rights.. if that makes sense lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Case law for effectiveness: Van Colsen, Marleasing,?

Case law for equivalence???

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

Case law for effectiveness: Van Colsen, Marleasing,?

Case law for equivalence???

I have Palmisani for equivalence - held essential characteristics of domestic system of reference must be examined, MS must make reparation for consequence of loss or damage caused to claimant in basis of national rules of liability provided they satisfy requirement of effectiveness - there must be some level of equivalence in these cases

I didn’t sit one of mine this sitting either. I was meant to sit 4 but I only did three I decided not to do it v last minute and I feel the exact same.

I’m in the same position! I feel like I don’t deserve to celebrate when I’m finished my exams because I didn’t sit the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

I’m in the same position! I feel like I don’t deserve to celebrate when I’m finished my exams because I didn’t sit the 4th

Definitely don't feel like that, I'm sure nearly everyone on this thread has come very close to not sitting one or deciding not to sit one. They're extremely stressful exams in normal circumstances, let alone with all the extra elements at the moment. You've your notes etc made now so sitting it in October will be no problem, you've sat 3 which is amazing and you deserve a celebration this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

Law101 wrote: »
    same here too, equivalence and practical possibility came up in November! so did the history of charter of fundamental rights. So I'm not doing the charter, just the side of fundamental rights.. if that makes sense lol

Instead of doing the history & development of the fundamental rights, you're just focusing on human rights, proportionality, legal certainty etc? Am I understanding you correctly? I just want to narrow down the topic for me to learn! Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Just out of the property exam, bit annoyed at myself as I was only able to do four and a half questions.
    I studied:
    Finding
    Adverse Possession
    Succession
    Easements
    Family Property
    Coownership

The questions on the paper were
    Essay on Land Registration
    Essay on Landlord and Tenant Law
    One other thing
    Essay on Extrinsic Evidence in Succession
    Problem question on formalities of a will
    Problem question on coownership
    Problem question on family home protection act
    Multiple choice do 2 of 3- Bare licence, contractual licences, commerientes

I was surprised that there was no finding, adverse possession or easements on the paper. Especially after I spent so long getting my head around easements.

Do you think I could pass with four decent questions and half of the last question? i could only do commorientes.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Just out of the property exam, bit annoyed at myself as I was only able to do four and a half questions.
    I studied:
    Finding
    Adverse Possession
    Succession
    Easements
    Family Property
    Coownership

One other thing

I was surprised that there was no finding, adverse possession or easements on the paper. Especially after I spent so long getting my head around easements.

Do you think I could pass with four decent questions and half of the last question? i could only do commorientes.

Thats so strange that there was no AP! I do think its possible to pass on 4.5 questions if the ones you did were decent. I know someone who passed one on 3.5 questions so its defo possible

I studied:
    Finding
    Adverse Possession
    Succession
    Easements
    Family Property
    Coownership

One other thing

The marker is lovely! You’ll be in with a good chance of passing I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

I studied:
    Finding
    Adverse Possession
    Succession
    Easements
    Family Property
    Coownership

One other thing

i'm in the exact same boat as you. majorly pissed off at myself and the examiner tbh. hoping 4.5 questions will get me over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

I'm in the same boat too, I came out early as well and also my question on family property was not up to scratch at all because I very vaguely covered it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

absolutely delighted with property - so glad i gave up trying to learn easements and focused on land registration and licences! I'm done for this sitting - only two more to go, see you all in October and best of luck with results and the remaining papers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebeccaM90

flepetch wrote: »
    i'm in the exact same boat as you. majorly pissed off at myself and the examiner tbh. hoping 4.5 questions will get me over the line!

What a load of crap! cannot believe the topics on that paper

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

it seems to me that the examiners are under some sort of illusion that we have it easier this year and they have decided to make the exams harder rather than giving us a break in a pandemic! AP not showing up, for what the first time ever!! the only thing that will save me in this is if that first question was on priorpratry estoppel as I had not a notion what it was but didnt have the other essays studied!

Edit this to say that it just occurred to me that I jsut sat my 8th (and hopefully last) FE1 so im off to have a glass of wine on my balcony! :)

this exams suck but we are getting through them and anyone in the middle of them, you will get there eventually! you should all be so proud of the hard work you are doing! Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

awsah wrote: »
    it seems to me that the examiners are under some sort of illusion that we have it easier this year and they have decided to make the exams harder rather than giving us a break in a pandemic! AP not showing up, for what the first time ever!! the only thing that will save me in this is if that first question was on priorpratry estoppel as I had not a notion what it was but didnt have the other essays studied!

Yeah it seems so - even in November property was a shock with no co- ownership

Seem to be making them harder since last March at least

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

Seems like a lot of us only got 4.5, honestly was shocked but counting my blessings I looked at family property!!

• Advertisement

Niamh_G wrote: »
    What was the topic for the question of Mary and the interest in land?

proprietary estoppel

Ais20 wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of us only got 4.5, honestly was shocked but counting my blessings I looked at family property!!

Exactly the same as you, started studying that yesterday as a back up, so glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

I had to really waffle that last question. I hope she'll accept whatever I pulled out of my head on proprietary estoppel using whatever I half-remembered from contract last November. That was a bit of a mess, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Very unusual paper in comparison to past sittings but found it ok!!! Would have liked one of AP/Easements/Finding instead of the note question maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bursnea2

worst prop paper ever :( my own fault for not covering enough topics!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

Al1501 wrote: »
    I had to really waffle that last question. I hope she'll accept whatever I pulled out of my head on proprietary estoppel using whatever I half-remembered from contract last November. That was a bit of a mess, wasn't it?

I checked my exam papers, the nearest I could find for that estoppel Q was 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

I checked my exam papers, the nearest I could find for that estoppel Q was 2012!

Why even have that as a topic on 3 different exams, do solicitors really deal with it that much that we need to learn it 3 times! Only that I did equity and contract this sitting I was able to answer it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

awsah wrote: »
    Why even have that as a topic on 3 different exams, do solicitors really deal with it that much that we need to learn it 3 times! Only that I did equity and contract this sitting I was able to answer it

What did you conclude for that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fe1time

I must be one of the few who liked the paper. I had studied Licences, AP, Co-ownership, Family property, Succession, Easements and Mortgages. I was a bit miffed that there was no AP or easements but lucky in that I did a bit on proprietary estoppel yesterday. I actually did 6 questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

fe1time wrote: »
    I must be one of the few who liked the paper. I had studied Licences, AP, Co-ownership, Family property, Succession, Easements and Mortgages. I was a bit miffed that there was no AP or easements but lucky in that I did a bit on proprietary estoppel yesterday. I actually did 6 questions!

i really liked that paper, would have obviously preferred if there was AP but i covered land registration, licences, coownership, succession and finding. easements got too tricky so left it out and decided to focus on licences and registration

Advertisement