Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

awsah wrote: »
    I did a question in co ownership!!

I did too!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Congratulations on finishing! Huge relief!

I’ll be holding my breath now for 6-8 weeks! Congrats to you too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

I postphoned one of mine too! Annoyed by it but the Law Society put too much pressure on us with the delayed dates of the November sitting to delayed results and rechecks - I know it’s a pandemic so they’re not competently to blame but the time frame and even uncertainty for studying for these exams have been so messed up in comparison to other sittings! Try not to beat yourself up about it and try to think of it as a positive - there’s loads of time to chill and cram for the October sitting now !

just out of curiosity, when you say you postponed do you mean you deferred and didnt lose your money? i asked last week and had looked it up, was under the impression that you needed a doctors note or evidence of why you wanted to defer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

RaffRiff01 wrote: »
    Imagine there's no FMOG or DE tommorrow because theres no AP on Property today or 1000 PQs and just 1 essay to choose from.. I would literally cry when that happens

I will just have to log off if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebeccaM90

When are the results ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

RebeccaM90 wrote: »
    Does anyone know do they grade the first 5 questions or will they grade the paper and take best 5? Totally misinterpreted an entire question :(

I was told they only mark the ones in order and don’t mark all - but that was from a girl that sat equity so maybe it was just equity - he marked the ones in turn and didn’t even look at her last one which was better

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

What are people leaving out for tort? I’m currently attempting to cover nearly everything but won’t have time so would be great to be able to leave a few things!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 2020FE1

I was told they only mark the ones in order and don’t mark all - but that was from a girl that sat equity so maybe it was just equity - he marked the ones in turn and didn’t even look at her last one which was better

This happened to me with EU. I ditched a question halfway through and answered question 8. I forgot to go back and delete the half attempt. When I requested my script back only the first 5 were graded.

RebeccaM90 wrote: »
    When are the results ?

6-8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legalapples

orlaghs wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, when you say you postponed do you mean you deferred and didnt lose your money? i asked last week and had looked it up, was under the impression that you needed a doctors note or evidence of why you wanted to defer

I had emailed the Law Society about it previously and they said that they would refund me (gave no other information on the matter but that as a one liner - classic law society) but this was before everyone else said they needed evidence/doctors note, I haven't been in touch with them since but I'm hoping since I have an email from them saying they'll refund me I'll have no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

2020FE1 wrote: »
    This happened to me with EU. I ditched a question halfway through and answered question 8. I forgot to go back and delete the half attempt. When I requested my script back only the first 5 were graded.

Could this be appealed if it turned out you didn't pass? How can they think that is appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

EU -
    I'm covering FMOS/FMOW/FMOG, Citizenship, Judicial Review, Direct/Indirect, MS Liability, Principles, Sources and Institutions (briefly) - worried after property I won't have enough since the papers are being very unpredictable, any suggestions on another I should cover other than competition law as I have never even looked at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Does anyone have access to the EU examiners report from November please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lawabc

FE1Eire wrote: »
    EU -
    I'm covering FMOS/FMOW/FMOG, Citizenship, Judicial Review, Direct/Indirect, MS Liability, Principles, Sources and Institutions (briefly) - worried after property I won't have enough since the papers are being very unpredictable, any suggestions on another I should cover other than competition law as I have never even looked at it!

What kind of question comes up on sources?

I'm doing the same as you plus equality (very briefly).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

eLawGirl wrote: »
    Could this be appealed if it turned out you didn't pass? How can they think that is appropriate

Tbf I can understand why they would assume there was no other question answered after they have marked 5 answers. Answering 6 in these exams is very very uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

FE1_2020_ wrote: »
    Does anyone have access to the EU examiners report from November please ?

Have it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Tbf I can understand why they would assume there was no other question answered after they have marked 5 answers. Answering 6 in these exams is very very uncommon.

Absolutely, sometimes even getting the bare 5 answers down is tough!

It just seems mad that they wouldn't look at the entire script. In the paper exams we write the question number on the front of the answer book so it's clear how many Qs are attempted but for online is it the case they only get a script of the first 5 questions people answer in numerical order?

Having to do a data protection request then to view the script and having to pay more than the exam even costs in the first place for a recheck. Mental. If it wasn't for GDPR they wouldn't even be so quick to send us the scripts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Can someone clarify for me re Eu citizenship - if there is a situation where a 3rd country national/non EU citizen moves to a MS and say, for example, has a baby with an EU citizen which would allow them to derive a right of residence. Would they then be entitled to equal access to social assistance and student grants too because they now have a right of residence? would they be entitled to the same rights as an eu citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 law77335255252

I answered 6 in Constitutional. Had 5 done that I was relatively happy with and had around 20-25mins left so I decided to do the casenote Q, which I knew I could do pretty quick. If the examiner only corrects the first 5 Qs that appear, then I'll miss out on the Q I done on infectious disease which was one of my strongest Q (Knew the S v HSE 2009 case etc.).

That would be pretty annoying seeing as in the written exams you can position your weakest 6th answer last, so if they only correct the first 5 it won't matter as much. But with the online system, there's no way to make you 6th weakest answer appear last.

As long as I pass I don't mind at all, but I'd imagine if you were failing on your first 5 they would correct the 6th. I cannot remember seeing anywhere that you will only be graded on your first 5 but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Have it here!

Great stuff, thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement

I answered 6 in Constitutional. Had 5 done that I was relatively happy with and had around 20-25mins left so I decided to do the casenote Q, which I knew I could do pretty quick. If the examiner only corrects the first 5 Qs that appear, then I'll miss out on the Q I done on infectious disease which was one of my strongest Q (Knew the S v HSE 2009 case etc.).

That would be pretty annoying seeing as in the written exams you can position your weakest 6th answer last, so if they only correct the first 5 it won't matter as much. But with the online system, there's no way to make you 6th weakest answer appear last.

As long as I pass I don't mind at all, but I'd imagine if you were failing on your first 5 they would correct the 6th. I cannot remember seeing anywhere that you will only be graded on your first 5 but maybe I'm wrong.

No I don’t remember seeing it anywhere just this girl said she failed equity where she had answered 6 and he only marked 5 but maybe depends on the examiner themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

RaffRiff01 wrote: »
    Imagine there's no FMOG or DE tommorrow because theres no AP on Property today or 1000 PQs and just 1 essay to choose from.. I would literally cry when that happens

Why would you put that out there ;-( haha

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

eLawGirl wrote: »
    Absolutely, sometimes even getting the bare 5 answers down is tough!

It just seems mad that they wouldn't look at the entire script. In the paper exams we write the question number on the front of the answer book so it's clear how many Qs are attempted but for online is it the case they only get a script of the first 5 questions people answer in numerical order?

Having to do a data protection request then to view the script and having to pay more than the exam even costs in the first place for a recheck. Mental. If it wasn't for GDPR they wouldn't even be so quick to send us the scripts back.

Maybe this was the reason for the high fail rate. I am worried now that I wrote topics into the question box, hopefully they don't count that as a full answer 🙈😫 in November I wrote "not attempted" in the ones I wasn't doing jusy for my own sake to make sure I didn't miss out on any but didn't do it this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

How much use is reading through past papers for EU and Tort? Do the examiners tend to rehash the same answers or no? Been dying with a migraine since Friday evening so I’m just looking for anything that I can just try to learn off last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

What are people leaving out for tort? I’m currently attempting to cover nearly everything but won’t have time so would be great to be able to leave a few things!

Okay so this is what I am working with but I have no predictions on the paper and just hoping this will cover me...

Done:
    Nuisance, trespass of land, RvF, occupiers liability.
    Negligence (duty of care, standard of care.. kind of causation), employers liability, public authority, product liability, vicarious liability, nervous shock, pure economic loss, negligent misstatement, trespass to the person.
    Defamation

Hoping to briefly refresh passing off, medical/ professional negligence, causation and maybe damages but unsure if my brain will retain it.

If there is anything I look to be lacking please let me know. I'm hoping this will get me over the line

Maybe this was the reason for the high fail rate. I am worried now that I wrote topics into the question box, hopefully they don't count that as a full answer 🙈😫 in November I wrote "not attempted" in the ones I wasn't doing jusy for my own sake to make sure I didn't miss out on any but didn't do it this time!

I think it’ll be obvious I wouldn’t worry !! I’m sure if they saw random cases for it and then saw 5 actual answers they will realize it’s just rough work !

I can’t remember if I did the same but if an issue arose I’ll be going crazy with them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

does anyone have 1/2 cases for Quantitative restrictions (not MEQR as I seem to have way more for this than actually QR) pls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

Lawabc wrote: »
    What kind of question comes up on sources?

I'm doing the same as you plus equality (very briefly).

For sources, I have just the hierarchy of legal acts - mainly legislative, delegated and implementing acts - ordinary and special legislative procedure, but a lot of that is in Blackstone's! And you may have that in your institutions notes!

Questions I have for sources is Q.2, March 2020, Q.1, March 2016(B), Q.2 October 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

All 8 questions on the EU paper should just be on competition law for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

All 8 questions on the EU paper should just be on competition law for the craic.

I’d vom. And reconsider my career tbf.

Advertisement