Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Does anyone know if the camera is recording before the actual exam starts when we enter the lobby or does it only start recording when we open the exam. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

milktray22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the camera is recording before the actual exam starts when we enter the lobby or does it only start recording when we open the exam. TIA

My camera light is on as soon as I enter the lobby so I think it’s recording

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

If I study everything besides professional negligence and limitation of actions am I reasonably safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Paraeagle wrote: »
    My camera light is on as soon as I enter the lobby so I think it’s recording

Thanks
    Can the law society review the time you are in the lobby until you open your exam or can they only review the actual time you are doing the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

If I study everything besides professional negligence and limitation of actions am I reasonably safe?

Abso bloody lutely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 fe1555

Feel like I'm doomed to fail tort tomorrow. I've cut out massively and even at that my brain is so fried from the last few exams that I'm retaining nothing. The amount they expect us to know is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

fe1555 wrote: »
    Feel like I'm doomed to fail tort tomorrow. I've cut out massively and even at that my brain is so fried from the last few exams that I'm retaining nothing. The amount they expect us to know is appalling.

You've got this. Take a deep breath and stay confident. You will surprise yourself with your knowledge. Structure your answers and put forward cogent advice and opinions.

Final hurdle guys!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

As most people know, the Law Society ensure the exams are harder to pass in times of economic crisis - the recession being a prime example. The last thing they want or need is a load of unemployed trainees unable to get traineeships creating a backlog etc.

It seems we are experiencing this again during the pandemic, noting a lot of bigger firms aren't even back in their offices yet and the number of traineeships available in the last year has taken a swift drop!

It just seems so unfair. I know this is all old ground but the LS really is a money making racket with the monopoly on the exams and it seems we are pawns this year with what seems to be papers intended to be harder (and no doubt more harshly marked) and Examiners suggesting we are getting an easy run of it with our exam half hour and being able to type to top it all off!

Personally I would loved to have written it and been able to do rough work and show the chronology of how i answered by questions etc.

Best of luck to everyone and hope everyone can drop their shoulders and relax for the Easter weekend. They are only exams and no one should beat themselves up over what they wrote/should have wrote, exams they didn't sit etc.

Here is hoping that November will see an ease in examination and marking for us all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Am I mad leaving out Vicarious Liability??? Don’t think I’ll have the time!!! Or patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

fe1555 wrote: »

Sorry now but these are professional exams. It's not appalling, it's what you're expected to know to be a solicitor.Qualified myself in 2015 so I know what I'm talking about. Hard exams though, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

fe1ki5 wrote: »
    As most people know, the Law Society ensure the exams are harder to pass in times of economic crisis - the recession being a prime example. The last thing they want or need is a load of unemployed trainees unable to get traineeships creating a backlog etc.

It seems we are experiencing this again during the pandemic, noting a lot of bigger firms aren't even back in their offices yet and the number of traineeships available in the last year has taken a swift drop!

It just seems so unfair. I know this is all old ground but the LS really is a money making racket with the monopoly on the exams and it seems we are pawns this year with what seems to be papers intended to be harder (and no doubt more harshly marked) and Examiners suggesting we are getting an easy run of it with our exam half hour and being able to type to top it all off!

Personally I would loved to have written it and been able to do rough work and show the chronology of how i answered by questions etc.

Best of luck to everyone and hope everyone can drop their shoulders and relax for the Easter weekend. They are only exams and no one should beat themselves up over what they wrote/should have wrote, exams they didn't sit etc.

Here is hoping that November will see an ease in examination and marking for us all!!!!

I was kind of thinking it might be a way of weeding out any cheating, especially with all the PQs in contract, there is no place to hide with them. I agree, can’t wait to do written exams again!

Am I mad leaving out Vicarious Liability??? Don’t think I’ll have the time!!! Or patience!

Our lecturer has put it on low priority to learn so I don’t think you’re mad! It’s an annoying topic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I was kind of thinking it might be a way of weeding out any cheating, especially with all the PQs in contract, there is no place to hide with them. I agree, can’t wait to do written exams again!

I like them online haha love not having to get the bus the morning of the exams up to Dublin but maybe if we could get the option

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Our lecturer has put it on low priority to learn so I don’t think you’re mad! It’s an annoying topic IMO.

I agree, very annoying and can be confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Boy am I glad to have that mammoth of an exam done...how did everyone find EU law?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Potentially my last FE1 done for good!!! :) (pending results of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Are we allowed to look at notes and phone while in the waiting room or will I get in trouble for that :(

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Boy am I glad to have that mammoth of an exam done...how did everyone find EU law?

Easy peasy

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

Are we allowed to look at notes and phone while in the waiting room or will I get in trouble for that :(

You can look at notes and your phone while in the lobby up until you click start exam. I did it on all three in Nov and there was no issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

I thought the paper was quite tricky.
    I feel like most people cover (based on what I saw here):
    Institutions
    General Principles
    Direct Effect etc.
    Judicial Review
    FMOG
    FMOW
    Competition Law

And choose to leave out FMOW, FMOG or competition depending.

That paper had a whole question on Services, No question on Judical Review which always comes up. A strange FMOG question that I had no idea how to answer correctly as I was not clear what they were asking. A more specific Institutions question than usual. The Competition question was grand.

How did people answer the FMOG with the Scotch whiskey bit?
    I did four good answers and then bull****ted my way through the FMOW question with only the treaty provisions, the directive and the regulation and no cases. Do I stand any chance of passing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Lallers96 wrote: »

was surprised at no JR? Really made a mess of the free movement of persons question which I did early on in the exam so that threw me for time a bit then! Should have done that one last. I think the rest of my questions were grand albeit very rushed due to that mess of a fmop question

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lawabc

See you in October, never struggled through an exam as much as I just did for EU

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

For the question on the charter, did people still give kind a broad background on fundamental rights and some cases before the charter?

Iso_123 wrote: »
    For the question on the charter, did people still give kind a broad background on fundamental rights and some cases before the charter?

Yes lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RaffRiff01

was it just me or that exam did not end at exactly 1:30? it ended at 1:36 with me.. but i did get my 3 and a half.. im just confused

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Lawabc wrote: »
    See you in October, never struggled through an exam as much as I just did for EU

Same here, felt like I was treading water for my last few questions.

I was really banking on Judicial Review to save me but there was no sign of it...

If it’s any consolation the EU marker is insanely generous. I absolutely spoofed my FMOW/citizenship q in November and got 14 on it with barely any case law. He really wants to pass people it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

Looking to buy a City Colleges 2020/21 equity manual if anyone feels confident they won't need it for October :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

If it’s any consolation the EU marker is insanely generous. I absolutely spoofed my FMOW/citizenship q in November and got 14 on it with barely any case law. He really wants to pass people it seems!

Same in August 2020 I spoofed my 5th answer on citizenship and hey presto still passed. No doubt it sounds like it was a bit of a weird paper today but so true that the EU marker is so sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Tbf I thought the same in November and ended up with 62

Literally came out of it near crying

Advertisement