Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Am I better off focusing on damages or limitation of actions do people think? I know it’s a shot in the dark but only have time to run through one!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Am I better off focusing on damages or limitation of actions do people think? I know it’s a shot in the dark but only have time to run through one!

I’m running with damages as hasn’t been up in a while. Think limitations came up on the august paper! Shot in the dark as you said...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

I'm doing damages but think either are likely to come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

I tutor so I do have time and do bother. And its of interest to me. Small bit of grace and cop on needed I'd suggest.

Maybe you could take your own advice re your first comment.

In the here and now these exams are super stressful so don't think you're going to get a great response by way of your first comment. We're all in it together, a bit of moral support does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE12020Law

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Maybe you could take your own advice re your first comment.

In the here and now these exams are super stressful so don't think you're going to get a great response by way of your first comment. We're all in it together, a bit of moral support does the trick.

In fairness there is no other common law jurisdiction in the World from what I can see which makes you do a Law Degree than 8 Professional Exams afterwards !!!!!! followed by even more exams as a Trainee. You don't even get a qualification for completing the FE1 Exams it's an absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement

Good luck to everyone in tort :) hope it works out for all of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 church street 94

I tutor so I do have time and do bother. And its of interest to me. Small bit of grace and cop on needed I'd suggest.

Unnecessary to be so snarky. Amazing that you are on the other side; like anything, things seem easier/doable once you've passed, but coming in on top of overly-stressed FE1 students and more or less telling everyone to man up is not the best approach.
    Perhaps just observe from afar rather than having to have to your say. Saying your bit about the difficulty of professional exams is not needed. We know. We are doing them right now. Yes you've done them and everything else that comes after, but exactly that, you're past it.
    A bit of understanding/support or silence would go a long way. I've encountered, through my jobs, many solicitors qualified with 1 to 20 years who have more respect and understanding for the Fe1 students than you are displaying and who themselves have said they would hate to be in ours shoes.
    Hope you don't have the same approach with the students you tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Good luck to everyone sitting Tort! Hope you enjoy a well earned break over the long weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Paraeagle wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone sitting Tort! Hope you enjoy a well earned break over the long weekend :D

Good luck to everyone today in tort , finally the exams are nearly done! Happy Easter to everyone. Lets hope the results aren’t too far away.... freedom !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fe1Examz

Power through, last exam!! 👊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Best of Luck to everyone sitting Tort today, we have gotten through another round of FE1s and lived to tell the tale. A nice relaxing Easter weekend is exactly what we all need! See you all in a few weeks for the results!

You're like one of those people in the US who thinks student loans shouldn't be cancelled just because THEY had to pay them. Not to mention it wouldn't suit you if the exams were any easier, would it, seeing as you're a tutor? But it's perfectly valid for students to feel they are unfairly difficult. For one they are exams to get into school to BECOME a solicitor; not to BE a solicitor. For another the emphasis on rote memorisation is disproportionate. What solicitor doesn't have access to legislation? Wouldn't like to go to that solicitor myself. Nor would I like to go to one like you, or a tutor like you: arrogant and condescending. That you have the nerve to talk about 'grace' lol. Don't let the door hit you

Oh and PS it's 'it's of interest' not 'its of interest'. Would have thought someone as brilliant as you would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Ah lads seriously ! Ye need to get a room.
    There are people on here trying to sit an tough exam in the next hour , is this really necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

When are we to expect the results? Mid-May too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 2020FE1

Lallers96 wrote: »
    When are we to expect the results? Mid-May too optimistic?

I would love to think that mid May is possible. But going off of the last time and knowing the law society’s form at this stage. I’m thinking it will be closer to 8 or even 10 weeks from now. Hope I’m wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

2020FE1 wrote: »
    I would love to think that mid May is possible. But going off of the last time and knowing the law society’s form at this stage. I’m thinking it will be closer to 8 or even 10 weeks from now. Hope I’m wrong though.

Yeah my gut feeling is that they won't do it in the usual 6 weeks, although there is no excuse not to. It did take 10 weeks last time but I'd say they gave themselves a solid 2-3 weeks off for Christmas and we don't have that this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 2020FE1

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Yeah my gut feeling is that they won't do it in the usual 6 weeks, although there is no excuse not to. It did take 10 weeks last time but I'd say they gave themselves a solid 2-3 weeks off for Christmas and we don't have that this time around.

I hope you’re right. I think we have been messed around enough over the past few sittings. To expect our results back within a reasonable time is a minimum we should be afforded.
    I was one of the people that had questions missing from their paper last time. So I only found out my results for two subjects 3 weeks before this sitting. I’m hoping for better this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

What did people think of torts? Am I right in saying the problem question regarding the local authority ground having a hole in the ground was on the topic of occupiers liabilty? Nice enough exam overall but the question on damages and employers liability really threw me off (WFH etc)

Got logged out twice eeek, first time that's happened to me! Got the extra time though.

Agreed the Damages essay was all good until the death element lol tried to kind of side-step it, but am sure I'll be penalised.

Can anyone post what they think came up? I'm terrified of having interpreted the problems incorrectly

• Advertisement

What did people think of torts? Am I right in saying the problem question regarding the local authority ground having a hole in the ground was on the topic of occupiers liabilty? Nice enough exam overall but the question on damages and employers liability really threw me off (WFH etc)

Thought it was a nice paper overall! I did it on OL anyway!! Did another on defamation, nuisance, doctrine of informed consent and economic loss/causation. Didn’t do damages, employers and whatever the last one was!!!

Re the Maurice & Katherine problem q, I went down the battery route & consent but the medical setting totally threw me off - hoping it wasn't a full professional negligence q?

Got logged out twice eeek, first time that's happened to me! Got the extra time though.

Agreed the Damages essay was all good until the death element lol tried to kind of side-step it, but am sure I'll be penalised.

Can anyone post what they think came up? I'm terrified of having interpreted the problems incorrectly

I think anyway in no order... defamation, employers, economic loss/causation, OL and PN/doctrine of informed consent! Open to correction though!

Re the Maurice & Katherine problem q, I went down the battery route & consent but the medical setting totally threw me off - hoping it wasn't a full professional negligence q?

I did it on doctrine of informed consent and reasonable patient test...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

I did it on doctrine of informed consent and reasonable patient test...

Me too and now I'm so panicked I should have concentrated on it as a battery... ahh

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SS_98

Did anyone answer ordinary negligence and vicarious liability for that problem question on John and Shane or was it just me??

Mc96 wrote: »
    Me too and now I'm so panicked I should have concentrated on it as a battery... ahh

No don't panic I think I'm the one that messed up haha.

All I could think of was like (generally) an operation without consent is battery so went into explaining that and that he didn't get her full & informed consent.

Whoops!

Mc96 wrote: »

I don’t see how that can be wrong though! Looking back though, i think I should have mentioned battery under trespass the person

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmer_15

Balls, I did the local authority PQ on Duty and Standard of Care.... ****, looks like I'll be repeating in October :(

• Advertisement

SS_98 wrote: »
    Did anyone answer ordinary negligence and vicarious liability for that problem question on John and Shane or was it just me??

I did!

Advertisement