Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

To be honest with you, there is definitely lazy marking. I say this to my own detriment but I also received a mark of 43% in Equity and while I did 5 questions I only had 3 good ones, a 4th half decent and my 5th was barely a paragraph. If you did 5 good questions then it’s a disgrace that you received the same mark as me as I know I didn’t pass when I finished that exam and I’ve accepted that. However I failed my best exam as well which I worked very hard for, completed 5 strong questions with plenty of case law etc. It is mind boggling how these grades have been distributed and the basis on which they have. I would sooner believe they threw the papers up in the air and passed the ones that landed face up than believe that the papers were scrutinised intensively and properly by the examiners. An absolute farce to say the least.

Think you're right about how they are marked. I answered 5 very well and would have been fine to answer 2 of the other 3 so wasn't as if I was stuck. Got 46%. It just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bozzer198

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    I got 28 in company and I know with all my heart that I passed it. 45 in equity. March was supposed to be my last 2. When I rang the law society I was told I can pay for a recheck and if someone just decides that 28 is still their fave number that day then that's that and my career is ruined. Literally 0 motivation for March. I'm halfway through these exams and feel like this was the worst decision I've ever made in my life.

Have we any redress here at all ? Its a bit ridiculous that they have no one to answer to, seems to be pointless contacting the law society because well be just bounced around or straight to the bin. Anyone much info on rechecks ? Are we burning €115 again by even getting rechecks. Just got details for payment there now

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I got 28 in company and I know with all my heart that I passed it. 45 in equity. March was supposed to be my last 2. When I rang the law society I was told I can pay for a recheck and if someone just decides that 28 is still their fave number that day then that's that and my career is ruined. Literally 0 motivation for March. I'm halfway through these exams and feel like this was the worst decision I've ever made in my life.

Idk who does the rechecks but I wonder would you be able
    To request that it is seen by a different person

bozzer198 wrote: »
    Have we any redress here at all ? Its a bit ridiculous that they have no one to answer to, seems to be pointless contacting the law society because well be just bounced around or straight to the bin. Anyone much info on rechecks ? Are we burning €115 again by even getting rechecks. Just got details for payment there now

If you look back through the posts some have gone up some have stayed the same and some have even gone down....

There’s no system to it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 YcL

Do you get a chance to view your script before the deadline date for rechecks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

Idk who does the rechecks but I wonder would you be able
    To request that it is seen by a different person

We are paying for a service and someone NEEDS to sit me down and show me exactly WHERE I got 28 in this exam because I KNOW that did not happen. Someone glancing over it and pulling another grade out of their hole after I paid them 115 euro isn't good enough. Even if I did fail this exam (which I KNOW I did not get 28) I cannot go ahead with knowing why.

Do you mean that they were accusing you of committing fraud in the exam?

I have no idea hahah, I just got an email with the bank details I need to send the money to and the subject of it says "Possible Impersonation: Equity". Worried now...

NewFe1 wrote: »
    I have no idea hahah, I just got an email with the bank details I need to send the money to and the subject of it says "Possible Impersonation: Equity". Worried now...

Yeah some people think it might have been because they thought we committed fraud because of the software but like maybe they could tell you that instead of failing you.... as long as you didn't cheat you're fine! Surely they would have just given you a flat 0 if they thought you cheated though?

YcL wrote: »
    Do you get a chance to view your script before the deadline date for rechecks?

They’ve said it can take up to 30 days to send the script so possible not

Yeah some people think it might have been because they thought we committed fraud because of the software but like maybe they could tell you that instead of failing you.... as long as you didn't cheat you're fine! Surely they would have just given you a flat 0 if they thought you cheated though?

Pretty sure they had to inform you if there was any suspected fraudulent behavior !!

• Advertisement

Pretty sure they had to inform you if there was any suspected fraudulent behavior !!

Hahahahahaha inform us hahahahahahahaha communicate hahahahha wouldn't be them

• Registered Users Posts: 1 malayali

The Final Examination - First Part (FE-1) is the entrance examination to the Law Society of Ireland.

As you will be aware, the public health environment has deteriorated significantly and unexpectedly over the past weeks. The Society realises that many candidates are experiencing difficulties preparing for the next sitting of the FE-1 while adapting to these very challenging circumstances.

The majority of candidates who have contacted the Society have indicated that a longer period of preparation before the next FE-1 sitting would be of benefit.

Having taken the concerns expressed by candidates into consideration, the next sitting of the FE-1 will now be held online between 23 March and 1 April 2021.

Online applications
    The online applications for this sitting will be available on the website shortly, and the closing date for receipt of applications is 22 February 2021.

March/April 2021 timetable
    The timetable for the Spring 2021 FE-1 sitting is now available:

Criminal Law Tuesday 23 March 2021
    Constitutional Law Wednesday 24 March 2021
    Equity Thursday 25 March 2021
    Company Law Friday 26 March 2021
    Contract Monday 29 March 2021
    Property Tuesday 30 March 2021
    EU Wednesday 31 March 2021
    Tort Thursday 1 April 2021

malayali wrote: »
    The Final Examination - First Part (FE-1) is the entrance examination to the Law Society of Ireland.

As you will be aware, the public health environment has deteriorated significantly and unexpectedly over the past weeks. The Society realises that many candidates are experiencing difficulties preparing for the next sitting of the FE-1 while adapting to these very challenging circumstances.

The majority of candidates who have contacted the Society have indicated that a longer period of preparation before the next FE-1 sitting would be of benefit.

Having taken the concerns expressed by candidates into consideration, the next sitting of the FE-1 will now be held online between 23 March and 1 April 2021.

Online applications
    The online applications for this sitting will be available on the website shortly, and the closing date for receipt of applications is 22 February 2021.

Wow, didn't expect that hahaha

Online applications

Why do they not email the candidates as well to inform them

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I'm delighted they've moved them because it was very unfair for people to have no time to recheck exams, and then apply should the recheck not get them over the line.

Bit miffed they've moved exams around though. I've 4 in a row now, and then 4 days off before EU Law. I may die during the 4th exam haha

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hey guys,

I’m one of the lucky ones I think, I passed my last two FE1’s, however I’v no traineeship lined up.

I’m just wondering could anyone point me in the right direction. Where to look? Where’s taking applications?

Either for 2021 or 2022.

I’d appreciate any help or guidance at all.

Thanks in advance. 😊

rickmatt wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I’m one of the lucky ones I think, I passed my last two FE1’s, however I’v no traineeship lined up.

I’m just wondering could anyone point me in the right direction. Where to look? Where’s taking applications?

Either for 2021 or 2022.

I’d appreciate any help or guidance at all.

Thanks in advance. 😊

Matheson is hiring and a few more of the big firms for 2022 I think

Philip lee is hiring for 2023

Don’t know of any firms hiring for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lawlz

The subject field on the email they sent back to me after I sent my recheck form says "Possible Impersonation". Anyone else?

You may have just cracked the code as to why so many people were unexpectedly and surprisingly failed lollllllll

This could actually be it.

I would be questioning that immediately if I was you!

If they failed people on the basis of potential or suspected cheating but they didn’t notify you/ anyone of that then that is MAJOR

Lallers96 wrote: »
    I'm delighted they've moved them because it was very unfair for people to have no time to recheck exams, and then apply should the recheck not get them over the line.

Bit miffed they've moved exams around though. I've 4 in a row now, and then 4 days off before EU Law. I may die during the 4th exam haha

Yeah really don’t understand why they changed the way the timetable was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fe12021

Lallers96 wrote: »

I had this in the old timetable and was dreading it, so am sorry - that really sucks. Best of luck, you'll feel especially proud when you're done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I'll just have to plough on with it! Glad to have the extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Online applications

Well crap my work won't let me take the last three working days and the first working day of any month off. Looks like I'm picking different topics this time around. Thrilled we have more time but did they have to change the order!

can we PLEASE ask them to keep the same order!!! So many of us have already started studying based on the previous structure offered, and now they change it for no reason.

I only have 3 left and now have all 3 of those in a row :(

Email sent, would appreciate others following suit as there's no logical reason or rhyme to changing the order previously promised!!!

I had 4 in a row with the old timetable and I'm not convinced it makes a massive difference to how you revise (until much closer to the time ofc), especially since either way they're taking place within a two week period (as opposed to being scattered across a month and therefore dictating which you revise first etc). Sorry, just think this sort of thing is always about luck and it's not really fair to ask for that to be changed since this will always be a problem for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Totally Agree! I’ve just amended the subjects I’m doing and my time off, with regard to the new timetable. I don’t want to have to ask my boss to change again!
    fe12021 wrote: »
    I had 4 in a row with the old timetable and I'm not convinced it makes a massive difference to how you revise (until much closer to the time ofc), especially since either way they're taking place within a two week period (as opposed to being scattered across a month and therefore dictating which you revise first etc). Sorry, just think this sort of thing is always about luck and it's not really fair to ask for that to be changed since this will always be a problem for some people.

fe12021 wrote: »

And we now have 9 or so weeks till the exams, so again using the fact that people started revising with the old timetable in mind doesn't really make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Are they still going to be online?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LawLearnin

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Are they still going to be online?

Yep - "Having taken the concerns expressed by candidates into consideration, the next sitting of the FE-1 will now be held online between 23 March and 1 April 2021."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Do you mean that they were accusing you of committing fraud in the exam?

Would it not be more likely that she/he used a different email address and the LC think that it may be someone trying to get their details?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Would it not be more likely that she/he used a different email address and the LC think that it may be someone trying to get their details?

I used the email address that they use to email me on all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lawlz

I used the email address that they use to email me on all the time.

I would honestly be questioning that immediately if I was you.

If that’s the reason you may have been failed and they didn’t notify you so you could state your case and fight your corner that’s major.

Could have happened the rest of us too with unexpected fails!

I would be asking for an explanation ASAP

Advertisement