Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

MrH2021 wrote: »
    I got 12/20 each on two answers where I don't know what else I could possibly have put down. I did get a couple of details wrong on one of them, so fair enough, but I still think 12 was a bit low. Not that I expected to get 100% on them (lol!), but does anyone else think it should be at least within the realm of human potential to get 100%? I kind of thought the definition of 100% was getting all potential marks, but if the most someone could possibly get on a question is say 16... then it should be marked out of 16, not 20. The way these are marked I find it so hard to judge what a good answer is.

They are following the old Oxford/Cambridge marking system where the maximum effectively was 72%. Many Irish courses do similar but things are slowly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

fe12021 wrote: »
    i don't know this for sure but people say, and i gathered from experience, that it's sort of marked out of 15 max? i guess a pretty good answer gets 15, anything above that is essentially bonus marks, and anything above 10 is good (and therefore a pass). at college too your work is never really marked out of 100, hence anything in the 70s is a first class grade. i suppose the difference is that passing at college doesn't require 'good' work, just some relevant words on the page, whereas it seems that with fe-1s pass = decent answer.

i do think it's ludicrous to have this sort of thing circulate through word of mouth/stem from speculation instead of just providing a mark scheme or even a word of clarity on how they're graded.

I think because there's such a subjectivity to law that it can't be marked according to any one scheme. For example in Constitutional a problem question could have four different possible avenues of argument. Similarly with criminal, a section 3 assault and section 4 assault are not capable of being defined in any absolute terms. This is even echoed in his reports where he outlines "possible offences committed include".

Thanks for all the responses! I didn't go to college in Ireland (or Oxbridge, lol, or anywhere in the UK), so I'm not used to that type of marking system. I don't really understand what the advantage is to marking things that way. Maybe trying to keep us humble! �� The variety of possible 'correct' answers is definitely something that must come in to play as well, I hadn't considered that as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebeccaM90

46 last sitting and brought up 0 marks. 46 again this sitting and I’m just praying now!

I'll be praying with you. Generally how long do recehcks take? Re-doing the preparation course on Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oisin_FE12021

This question has probably already been answered 100 times…. Is there any point in getting a recheck if the paper has already been externally marked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

This question has probably already been answered 100 times…. Is there any point in getting a recheck if the paper has already been externally marked?

How can you tell if it has been externally marked already though?

RebeccaM90 wrote: »
    I'll be praying with you. Generally how long do recehcks take? Re-doing the preparation course on Monday :(

I’m guessing about 4 weeks after the closing date anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

LS website was updated today - recheck results provisionally scheduled for 28th June!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fe1taker1998

Hi guys! bit early but I want to get started...has anybody who sat company law any advice on what and where you can cut topics? :)

Got company back and it seems half my answer is missing, I know this happened the last sitting. Can anyone remember what the outcome was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Question 4 & 8 on the company paper,
    Can anyone tell me what angle they went at ?

I write a lot on Q4 Crystallisation of a floating charge.
    I know they hate when you go down the road of ‘write everything you know’
    But 3 pages got me TWO marks ??!!! Like WTH 🀦ðŸ¼*♀️..
    My degree I hit the mid 70%’s in company !

Question 8 .. FOUR marks .. another 3 pages on rights / obligations of receivers.

These exams were created from the ashes of a fiery hell 😂

Question 8 .. FOUR marks .. another 3 pages on rights / obligations of receivers.

I didn’t do the receiver question but got 12 on the crystallisation question. PM me your email if you want and I’ll send it onto you! You can compare!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I did company last March but I think the question was the same I got 12 in it ... I explained what a floating charge was, the criteria to identify it then the five circumstances which crystallize a floating charge and then I discussed the case of JD Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fe12021

Hi guys! bit early but I want to get started...has anybody who sat company law any advice on what and where you can cut topics? :)

hey, i wrote an email with personal thoughts on this for someone else, can fwd it to you if you like (may or may not be useful). dm me with your email or email fe1stopshop@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

My equity paper was marked by an internal and external examiner and both gave me 46%. I got 50% in the recheck.

NewFe1 wrote: »
    My equity paper was marked by an internal and external examiner and both gave me 46%. I got 50% in the recheck.

Did it say on the email that your script was on that both internal and external corrected them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2020lawfe1

Hey! Does anyone have a recommendation for a Contract prep course? Is the City Colleges one any use?
    I've taken a few at the Law School but as they are so expensive everywhere I'm trying to shop around a bit before committing this time. Appreciate the course aren't for everyone - I haven't taken them for every exam, but I don't have a law background and work ft so find them helpful on bigger courses or exams that mix a lot of topics. Any advice would be really helpful - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jip000

Got company back and it seems half my answer is missing, I know this happened the last sitting. Can anyone remember what the outcome was?

The LS’s position seemed to be “We dont want to admit anything in writing so will only discuss this over the phone. Also, despite chunks of your answers being missing, your marks have somehow not gone up at all after we had your completed script re-marked (of which we can offer no proof). Stop calling”

At least thats how it went for me, not sure about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

2020lawfe1 wrote: »
    Hey! Does anyone have a recommendation for a Contract prep course? Is the City Colleges one any use?
    I've taken a few at the Law School but as they are so expensive everywhere I'm trying to shop around a bit before committing this time. Appreciate the course aren't for everyone - I haven't taken them for every exam, but I don't have a law background and work ft so find them helpful on bigger courses or exams that mix a lot of topics. Any advice would be really helpful - thanks!

I know you said here that LawSchool are too expensive to use again, but I just have to say that Val Corbett, the Contract lecturer there really made the difference for me in passing Contract.

I had narrowly missed out on a pass twice before enrolling in the course at LawSchool, and for what its worth I don't have a law background either!

If you want to send me a PM I can send you my notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I did Griffith and tbh had no issues at all I focused mainly on the manual

I think Griffith is grand I know not everyone agrees but I prefer it over city colleges and you get more for your Monday (lectures tutorials and a 6 hour intensive class before the exams which I found very helpful )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

There is no doubt about it, they are expensive but for contract, you can't go wrong with Law School and Val Corbett, I passed first time with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Did it say on the email that your script was on that both internal and external corrected them?

I requested my script and it had both an internal examiner and external examiners mark on it

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

Can someone please tell me when’s rechecks close?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Morning,

Would anyone be able to share the most recent EU paper with me, please (march 2021) thanks in advance!!

AA21 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me when’s rechecks close?

need to have request in by 5th June

NewFe1 wrote: »

was this for exam equity in March 2021 sittings? I'm requesting recheck for property but my script doesn't refer to external or internal examiner anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

was this for exam equity in March 2021 sittings? I'm requesting recheck for property but my script doesn't refer to external or internal examiner anywhere

when you get your marks it should say internal and external, if there is no mark in the box that says external then your paper was not marked by an external examiner.

if the marks are on the paper itself then just look for two grades, might be the same grade

I know after last sitting they didn't send the marks for individual questions until a couple of weeks after the paper so maybe you havn't received these yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

would anybody have updated grids for Tort, Company and Equity? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

I know it is expensive but Val is excellent at contract and I passed it on my first sitting and it was the first FE-1 I sat and got in the high 60's, so I could not recommend the Law School more for contract!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Company April 2021
    Would anyone who passed company be willing to share their paper? Please PM! I got 44 this time. Sent it for recheck. But would be starting revising it soon.

Advertisement