Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out what to do following results - i failed company (42%), property (46% - for the second time) and equity (47%). I was completely devastated and have only been able to bring myself to deal with it today.

I was wondering if anyone would offer their opinions on which would be best to have rechecked. The last time I had property rechecked, my grade didn't change so I'm not too confident having these rechecked this time around. Should I risk having them rechecked? Given the price etc

Another issue I have is whether I want to start a prep course for a new exam or stick to passing the ones I have already failed.

Also, has anyone been refunded for an exam they never sat?

Any advice would be really REALLY helpful as I am feeling very lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

flepetch wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out what to do following results - i failed company (42%), property (46% - for the second time) and equity (47%). I was completely devastated and have only been able to bring myself to deal with it today.

I was wondering if anyone would offer their opinions on which would be best to have rechecked. The last time I had property rechecked, my grade didn't change so I'm not too confident having these rechecked this time around. Should I risk having them rechecked? Given the price etc

Another issue I have is whether I want to start a prep course for a new exam or stick to passing the ones I have already failed.

Firstly, don't be too hard on yourself.

Rechecks are expensive, but if it means a chance of passing and not having to resit, it's always worth it. All your marks were in the 40s and any of them could potentially go up to a pass. - judging by your marks, you are on the right lines so don't worry!

The law society should refund you for exams you haven't sat, can't promise you it will be in a timely manner though.

Personally I would concentrate on resitting those exams, perhaps picking up a 4th if you can comfortably do so. I know it's tempting to sit them all ASAP but I'm a believer that slow and steady wins the race! Given how badly affected the legal world has been this last year, with traineeships are even harder to come by etc, I wouldn't put pressure on yourself rushing to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KingofTheFE1s

Hi guys,

Cant comment on rechcecks as I havent done one but just attempt the same ones again until you pass them. You have most of the work done for all of them if your getting those marks. Having to sit them again sucks but giving up gets you nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Hi guys,

Don't do a new exam, I mean you have some level of knowledge on these three so why would you start fron stratch? Honestly, I would be of the view you should only do two of them next time. Do you have a set deadline to get them done by? Do you have the time to dedicate to these exams? Are you very busy at work, and have little leave etc? To me the worst thing you should do is overwhelm yourself.

No idea on rechecks I've never rechecked a failed exam. You should put in a request to look at it though. Then you might have some idea.

I would drill down into your technique.

Are you doing past questions? To me this correlated very well with passing the exam.

Where are you getting your answers from? When you have the past qs you can write your own answers and know them for the exam.

How long are you spending in the exam on each question? Bad timing is killer and it chips off a lot of easy marks.

How are you laying out your answer in the exam? It should be clear clear clear. I would advise Mr X on points A B C etc. The marks at the start of a question are yours to lose. Use ILAC.
    Idk how it works in an online exam but capitalise and underline the case names, hell if you want highlight them. Make your exam a joy to mark.

Are you struggling with issue spotting in problem qs? (why it might benefit you to see your exams and look through your notes or with someone who knows the area well).

I mean it's not like you got 30%, those grades are near enough to 50%. Feel free to answer or consider them rhetorical anyways. On the prep course matter I think you could do it alone, I'm not sure what a prep course would offer bar telling you what I said there and maybe some speculation on the exam topics which you can get from this thread. Mainly cos you clearly have some level of knowledge considering you've already broke 40%. Maybe buy a second hand prep course book and save your money for a prep course on an exam you'll sit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fLawless123

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has received results letter from the November 2020 sitting and March 2021 sitting?

If so, how did you request it? Have sent multiple emails after receiving replies of they're currently being prepared......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Leo796

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has received results letter from the November 2020 sitting and March 2021 sitting?

If so, how did you request it? Have sent multiple emails after receiving replies of they're currently being prepared......

I rang yesterday and they said they should be available next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

I have passed exams on 3 separate sittings and never received any results letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

https://www.eventbrite.ie/o/office-of-the-chief-justice-33515633585

might be of interest.. and if anybody knows whether these would be accessible after they are live id be much obliged :)
    they are at 4:20pm - while i do a Dolly Parton 9-5

lawDani wrote: »
    https://www.eventbrite.ie/o/office-of-the-chief-justice-33515633585

might be of interest.. and if anybody knows whether these would be accessible after they are live id be much obliged :)
    they are at 4:20pm - while i do a Dolly Parton 9-5

Oooh they look good! Might tell some people at work so they can get those CPD points :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

Oooh they look good! Might tell some people at work so they can get those CPD points :pac:

Do they count as CPD?

• Advertisement

Creg12 wrote: »
    Do they count as CPD?

can i have CPD points? ... haha i might ask to take part anyway during hours - I'm not on a training contract per se. I'm an office admin but hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

hey, wondering if anyone has any advice passed my final exam there when the results came out and on the hunt for a training contract i applied to a few of the small firms in my local town and have heard back from 2 one general practice and one commercial law firm.

i am interested in criminal law but do i just take either one of these for the training or hold out another year or so in the hope i get something in a criminal law firm? undecided about what to do or will i be at a huge disadvantage if i take the commercial law firm if i later want to go and practice criminal law?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

lcs3 wrote: »
    Just after realising the company examiner doesn’t read your script. He counts the number of cases you have for each topic and gives you your grade based on that. I’m so annoyed

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Just after realising the company examiner doesn’t read your script. He counts the number of cases you have for each topic and gives you your grade based on that. I’m so annoyed

Definitely don’t think this is true .... say company last year when the exams were written didn’t highlight or underline the cases so he had to read my script haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lcs3

FEONE wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

Some one else said it on facebook and counted the amount of cases in my answers and compared with the marks and it was an exact match.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Bantz_Control

Some one else said it on facebook and counted the amount of cases in my answers and compared with the marks and it was an exact match.

This is not very scientific; it's anecdotal and tenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

What do you mean by an exact match? Like 50 cases = 50 marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fLawless123

NewFe1 wrote: »
    I have passed exams on 3 separate sittings and never received any results letter.

Have you applied for the PPC I yet? How are we even supposed to give evidence we have passed the FE1s when they never even sent out results letter:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lazydiddles

I just heard back from my firm re providing evidence of exam letters. No problem if you haven’t received one yet, just write to your HR and they should be able to provide you with an alternative.

Ps: the alternative provided to me was to directly email the law society in July once we have received our letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

For anyone that applied for fe1 rechecks did you just send an email to the relevant email address that was given? I sent an email and haven’t received correspondence for payment yet?

• Advertisement

AA21 wrote: »
    For anyone that applied for fe1 rechecks did you just send an email to the relevant email address that was given? I sent an email and haven’t received correspondence for payment yet?

I haven't received anything re payment either, id say it will be few weeks yet

Do you just mean you haven't received confirmation by email of your re-check submission?

If you have still to pay for your recheck, the closing date is today. Results provisionally due on 28th June. You don't have to wait for an email, there is a log-on link on the LS website that will direct you to the recheck page once you log-on and you can pay from there! Just an FYI in case you are waiting to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

fe1ki5 wrote: »
    Do you just mean you haven't received confirmation by email of your re-check submission?

If you have still to pay for your recheck, the closing date is today. Results provisionally due on 28th June. You don't have to wait for an email, there is a log-on link on the LS website that will direct you to the recheck page once you log-on and you can pay from there! Just an FYI in case you are waiting to pay.

Oh my god I can’t find that

Oh my god I can’t find that

Okay, it is there...

If you go the LS website, the "public" tab then click on "become a Solicitor".
    from there down the left hand side will be "fe1 exam" and on that page you will see an option for "apply for a recheck" which you can click and you will be redirected to sign in and pay etc.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Anyone still waiting for copies of scripts back?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

FE1new wrote: »
    Anyone still waiting for copies of scripts back?

me...all four!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Looking for the last 3 constitutional papers if anyone has them?!? Thanks!!!!

lawDani wrote: »
    can i have CPD points? ... haha i might ask to take part anyway during hours - I'm not on a training contract per se. I'm an office admin but hey...

If they are CPD points or not depends on the Law Society audit ;) Probably fine for 1 hour general. Have to be qualified though to be eligible.

My work is kinda lax though, if it's interesting enough a talk I can convince people to sit around and watch you see...a lot of people are WFH right now so no one would really care if I just chill there and watch a legal talk :cool:

You should check out the Law Society Younger Member's committee, they have some good talks up on their youtube channel (not a member or anything, just watched them live).

As for letters just keep nagging them I had to wait MONTHS and I was like "a soft copy is fine"! Work thought I was lying about passing them :p

Hopefully these will be recorded! I miss the days of going to CPD talks and getting some coffee and snacks *sigh* I'm not qualified either, I used to just show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kellyymck8383

Hi all, planning on sitting my first four in October and starting a prep course this week. I also plan on working part time, probably no more than 16 hours a week. I’m just wondering how many hours should I be studying a day at this point - June/July? Don’t want to get burnt out but want to make sure I’m doing enough! Any guidance would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

Hi all, planning on sitting my first four in October and starting a prep course this week. I also plan on working part time, probably no more than 16 hours a week. I’m just wondering how many hours should I be studying a day at this point - June/July? Don’t want to get burnt out but want to make sure I’m doing enough! Any guidance would be appreciated!

I work full time and find if you stick to the prep course timetable and don't fall too far behind you can manage studying around 2-3hrs per subject a week and take it at a comfortable pace over 4 months relatively easy, obviously picking it up as the exams draw closer.

Studying exam grids, past papers and examiners reports will take a good bit of guess work out of your study approach and the prep courses certainly aid you in what to give priority to.

Advertisement