Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    I know the marking seemed to be a lot harsher for equity this sitting but was there anything unexpected on the paper?
    I'm conscious that there is a new examiner and just want to make sure for studying that the November paper was a similar format to previous ones.

I sat equity for the first time in Nov and failed with a grade of 39. Honestly, I thought I'd passed, or if not, I'd get 47/48 and be on the border. In my opinion, the topics that came up were predictable, 4 out of 5 of the topics I predicted came up, I didn't think there were any curveballs or topics included that hadn't appeared in years and were thrown in now. Nothing seemed off balance, when I finished the exam, it felt like any other paper. Whereas when I finished Constitutional, I couldn't believe how hard of a paper it was - and I passed it!

So confused on how equity was graded and what the examiner is looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

BBall2015 wrote: »
    I sat equity for the first time in Nov and failed with a grade of 39. Honestly, I thought I'd passed, or if not, I'd get 47/48 and be on the border. In my opinion, the topics that came up were predictable, 4 out of 5 of the topics I predicted came up, I didn't think there were any curveballs or topics included that hadn't appeared in years and were thrown in now. Nothing seemed off balance, when I finished the exam, it felt like any other paper. Whereas when I finished Constitutional, I couldn't believe how hard of a paper it was - and I passed it!

So confused on how equity was graded and what the examiner is looking for!

Yes exactly. I managed to fail both property and equity, I know I'd messed up one of the property questions by basing my argument on a wrong case. But I was still fairly confident about both subjects so surprised is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Did people who wrote Equity Last sitting throw in recent case law? I’m just curious. I didn’t want to say this because I know what it’s like to read someone passed something when you didn’t (I failed Company and Contract in Nov) – especially when you put in a lot of work.

For Equity last sitting I genuinely studied notes I bought of Adverts and sample answers. Fluffed out with recent case law for each topic. Didn’t even touch a manual and scraped by with it being my highest (FYI only 57 but happy it punched above 50). I only say this since it’s a new examiner, maybe that’s the trick? I also underlined ILAC titles so it was laid out ridiculously clear. It didn’t look like an essay the way Griffiths SA’s look.

Not saying the above is the way to go. I might have just gotten lucky with mark tallying. But maybe others who passed can chime what they did to help others and make some sense of what happened in Equity.

I failed the exams I actually put in work so karma evened out in the end haha

Ps for those doing Company I saw someone who quoted the ish out of Courtney got the 70s. His stuff is my bible for the next two months

Fe7 wrote: »
    Did people who wrote Equity Last sitting throw in recent case law? I’m just curious. I didn’t want to say this because I know what it’s like to read someone passed something when you didn’t (I failed Company and Contract in Nov) – especially when you put in a lot of work.

For Equity last sitting I genuinely studied notes I bought of Adverts and sample answers. Fluffed out with recent case law for each topic. Didn’t even touch a manual and scraped by with it being my highest (FYI only 57 but happy it punched above 50). I only say this since it’s a new examiner, maybe that’s the trick? I also underlined ILAC titles so it was laid out ridiculously clear. It didn’t look like an essay the way Griffiths SA’s look.

Not saying the above is the way to go. I might have just gotten lucky with mark tallying. But maybe others who passed can chime what they did to help others and make some sense of what happened in Equity.

At this point I can’t even remember - I’ve requested my script so I suppose I’ll see then :/ is there any chance you’d be willing to share the notes you used? As far as I’m aware 57 is a great score for FE1s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I also had a few bits of recent case law I think in equity mainly the English decisions in relation to donatio mortis causa and maybe a few for the answer I did on undue influence

I didn’t use ilac titles - never have as some examiners really don’t like them

I made sure to underline and bold all the cases and any academic names I had in

At this point I can’t even remember - I’ve requested my script so I suppose I’ll see then :/ is there any chance you’d be willing to share the notes you used? As far as I’m aware 57 is a great score for FE1s!

Yeah send on your email (and anyone else reading this who wants)

I also had a few bits of recent case law I think in equity mainly the English decisions in relation to donatio mortis causa and maybe a few for the answer I did on undue influence

I didn’t use ilac titles - never have as some examiners really don’t like them

Do you know which ones don’t like them? I have five exams coming up and would like to steer clear of their bad side so!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

I used recent case law that was in my manual but would not necessarily have been that recent. I think someone mentioned above having the recent English cases for DMC which I also included and in a recent examiner report, the examiner praised candidates for including it.

I don't use ILAC but obviously my answer would have had an intro and conclusion but no headings or titles.

I did supplement some of my notes from the manual with notes from college, John Mee was my lecturer and he was excellent so maybe that helped.

Do you know which ones don’t like them? I have five exams coming up and would like to steer clear of their bad side so!

No I don’t sorry !! It was just something I remember one of the Griffith lecturers say but
    I also never would have done it for college either but I don’t think you can necessarily be penalized for it as long as your writing style flows and everything is clear and precious !! I wouldn’t worry about it just depends on your style of writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LawLearnin

I felt at the time of the online exam that I had used a smattering of recent cases alright, tho admittedly couldn't tell you what at this point. I definitely highlighted my cases and any legislation referred to throughout my answers. I mostly don't get why I got 43% when I made an absolute dogs dinner of a paper in March, and only came up 1% higher for a far more considered, well-written and case-supported paper in Nov. Would really love if the examiner put some feedback on the papers as they were marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Ps for those doing Company I saw someone who quoted the ish out of Courtney got the 70s. His stuff is my bible for the next two months

Honestly, from experience. Courtney being quoted seems to be the way to go. The second time I sat last March, I quoted him quite often and passed

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

SKLaw wrote: »
    Honestly, from experience. Courtney being quoted seems to be the way to go. The second time I sat last March, I quoted him quite often and passed

I agree, and same here. I had a Courtney quote for every one of my answers I think. Felt a bit cringe to be quoting him to himself but seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

I put in a 2015 case for DMC can't remember with the others but in general I don't think we got much recent case law for equity

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    I agree, and same here. I had a Courtney quote for every one of my answers I think. Felt a bit cringe to be quoting him to himself but seems to have done the trick.

So weird I’m after going through my script from last March haha I think I only quoted him once or twice and ended up with 63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

EmmaO94 wrote: »

He's got some big ego hasn't he lol

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    I put in a 2015 case for DMC can't remember with the others but in general I don't think we got much recent case law for equity

Yeah think the only recent ones really were king v dubree for DMC tbh

Yeah think the only recent ones really were king v dubree for DMC tbh

Think I had a recent case for undue influence as well.. didnt have any Delaney quotes that were relevant I don't think. I did a stunning question on DMC though and still got 45.

As for company I got 1% lower than I did before when I made a disaster of it and didn't quote him either time because the only quotes I had were on corp borrowing which didn't come up and winding up which I didn't answer on..

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    Think I had a recent case for undue influence as well.. didnt have any Delaney quotes that were relevant I don't think. I did a stunning question on DMC though and still got 45.

As for company I got 1% lower than I did before when I made a disaster of it and didn't quote him either time because the only quotes I had were on corp borrowing which didn't come up and winding up which I didn't answer on..

I had a few quotes in my answers as far as I remember for equity
    And some quotes from cases but like nothing outstanding haha

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

hi everyone... does anyone know what came up in the November 2020 constitution exam?

• Advertisement

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    hi everyone... does anyone know what came up in the November 2020 constitution exam?

Paper was posted a few pages back!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Paper was posted a few pages back!

thanks... i got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Any sign of the results of that survey yet or am I going to need to hand over my sort code and account number to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

DavidX90 wrote: »
    Any sign of the results of that survey yet or am I going to need to hand over my sort code and account number to get them?

Look back a few posts he said Thursday or Friday, he hasn't finished compiling them yet

FE1_Help wrote: »
    seshonmom if you spent ur time studying instead of posting as every other comment..... some passive aggressively...... or looking after ur mental health as seen seeing ur past posts you'd have.. less? :(

Thank you so much for your comment. Between the pandemic and being stuck with my family and away from my friends and now not having a future because of arbitrary grades it actually has me suicidal but I'm glad that I'm such a burden maybe I should just go ahead with it thank you. I won't ever post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 church street 94

Ok I think we all need to take a step back and take a breath. This thread is and has been for years a support network for FE1 students; a support network in terms of sharing advice about exams, sharing materials, discussing exam qs, filling in the blanks on topics, and helping with the stress of upcoming exams. It is not a therapy room nor is it a place where we should be getting pissy at one another and for certain topics of discussion, this is not the place to lay it out in such forceful terms. We are all here for one thing, get through these exams as best we can. Yes, we are going to rant and get stressed and express our upset at results which have gone badly, particularly when we feel as though we have worked ourselves to the bone and didn't get the results we expected or wanted. But I think we need to return to the main theme of this thread, exam focus. Perhaps a pause on the anger and ranting about the Law Soc for the time being. If someone gets a useful reply with regard to any complaints sent to the Law Soc, share them if they are helpful and provide some clarity. But endless talk and expressing disgust and cursing about what has already happened is not going to help anyone in getting through exams. Let's reset and get back to providing valuable help and advice with exams as this thread has always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Ok I think we all need to take a step back and take a breath. This thread is and has been for years a support network for FE1 students; a support network in terms of sharing advice about exams, sharing materials, discussing exam qs, filling in the blanks on topics, and helping with the stress of upcoming exams. It is not a therapy room nor is it a place where we should be getting pissy at one another and for certain topics of discussion, this is not the place to lay it out in such forceful terms. We are all here for one thing, get through these exams as best we can. Yes, we are going to rant and get stressed and express our upset at results which have gone badly, particularly when we feel as though we have worked ourselves to the bone and didn't get the results we expected or wanted. But I think we need to return to the main theme of this thread, exam focus. Perhaps a pause on the anger and ranting about the Law Soc for the time being. If someone gets a useful reply with regard to any complaints sent to the Law Soc, share them if they are helpful and provide some clarity. But endless talk and expressing disgust and cursing about what has already happened is not going to help anyone in getting through exams. Let's reset and get back to providing valuable help and advice with exams as this thread has always done.

Please be kind to each other as future colleagues. We are here to support each other with tips advice and also to be supportive to each other. The exams are isolating at the best of times. I hope we can be there for each other regarding advise and also by being supportive and kind as I know most of us would love nothing more than to hear of someone having got all 8 particularly after struggling and still staying with it which will inspire others on here. I have met so many nice people on here and hope we can continue in a helpful and supportive manner.

To those who sent me requests for the notes I'll send them Thursday morning. There are more of your messages than I was expecting so just posting a general reply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

To those who sent me requests for the notes I'll send them Thursday morning. There are more of your messages than I was expecting so just posting a general reply here.

Hey yeah same here ! I’ve loads to get through too, the inbox full. but I will and I’ll sort you out between Thursday and Friday :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

law1234567 wrote: »
    thank you!!

Could I get a copy also, please.

Advertisement