Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

Here here , I feel the exact same. I only decided this week to give up. I have 4 passed but I feels like passing the lasts 4 will take the entire joy from my life.

It’s so frustrating because this system has nothing to do with intelligence.
    I have a B.A in Law and a really good career so therefore the industry is just losing out on valuable assets.

I believe those that are passing are doing so because they have money or influence to keep going.

Sorry but money and influence have nothing to do with it. These exams are undeniably a pain in the ass but, they are the same for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Sorry but money and influence have nothing to do with it. These exams are undeniably a pain in the ass but, they are the same for everybody.

This is not necessarily true :) A lot of students take months off to study for these while they live at home and have their parents to support them.

Others have to work full time and take as much unpaid study leave as they can afford while on minimum wage intern job (in top 10) while trying to pay rent and food bills etc. Just speaking from experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Coopie wrote: »
    You’ve loads of time - just buy exam papers and sample answers and learn off the ones that come up most often.

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Depends which other ones you are doing and whether or not you are working full time. If you arent working and are only doing one or two others its definitely not too late.

I am working full time but get a couple of hours of study , in most days and longer days at weekend. Going to do EU and Contract in March anyways. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

Here here , I feel the exact same. I only decided this week to give up. I have 4 passed but I feels like passing the lasts 4 will take the entire joy from my life.

It’s so frustrating because this system has nothing to do with intelligence.
    I have a B.A in Law and a really good career so therefore the industry is just losing out on valuable assets.

I believe those that are passing are doing so because they have money or influence to keep going.

Your belief is your belief but it's rather offensive. Hard work and determination is what keeps me going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

LS3 wrote: »
    This is not necessarily true :) A lot of students take months off to study for these while they live at home and have their parents to support them.

Others have to work full time and take as much unpaid study leave as they can afford while on minimum wage intern job (in top 10) while trying to pay rent and food bills etc. Just speaking from experience anyway.

*please read with a conversational/encouraging tone*
    I am working full time on minimum wage and live in Dublin, no support from home as they don't have it. I do not have a law degree (BSc 2.2), I passed my first 4 first try. My success has nothing to do with money or influence I did it through sheer grit and determination. I believe these exams are there to test your strength. I would advise anyone who has sat some of these exams who are thinking of quitting to persevere because the FE1s have nothing to do with being a solicitor, they are just a road block and if law if something that you are truly passionate about then it will be so worth it when you finally get there.

And you know what, if youve gotten this far and your starting to think maybe this is not the life for you, then that's fine too. I am going to be 33 next month and I have been around the block and if there is one thing I know for certain in this word is that at any one moment in time you are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, and who knows, this experience could bring you down a whole new path and you will look back and think, that's it, that's the reason I went through all that fcuking pain and suffering trying to get those 8 feckn exams!

sorry if that's is too much cheese for a Wednesday evening! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Do not agree at all, sorry.
    If I could afford it, I would take months off, have private tutoring and essentially become a student again.

With the FE1s you’re not a student, the ‘Normal’ folk have to work full time , some with mortgages , kids and full on lives.
    We don’t have Mammy and Daddy to bank roll our unpaid leave to study for months.
    What other profession has a system like the FE1’s ?
    Accountants already have a training contract when doing CPA or ACCA (my sister got 2 months paid study leave for each sitting)

It seems mental when we’ve already gone to uni, got a law degree and sat and passed all these exams already.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

does anyone have the november 2020 property and/or criminal paper please

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Does the whole Blackhall process take any longer to complete via the Hybrid course in comparison to the traditional one? I know they have different start dates etc. but does it work out to be similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭phildub

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Does the whole Blackhall process take any longer to complete via the Hybrid course in comparison to the traditional one? I know they have different start dates etc. but does it work out to be similar?

It does take longer which is annoying, I am not doing it and ai know there is a thread where people will be able answer your question better but it seems from the LS website that you are working during the hybrid but the clock doesn't start on training until after PPC1 which finishes in October. PPC2 also finishes in October so it seems it takes longer than just going into Blackhall. I am open to correction here as, like I said, I am not enrolled in it. But it seems the only advantage over blackhall is that you might find it easier get a contract in a smaller firm that couldn't afford to pay someone who wasn't in the office for 6 months???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 suzy_irl

stonewash wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've rang the law society about trying to get my refund from the August sitting back and I'm getting nowhere with it. They keep putting me on to someone else and then it leads to an automated message. Is anyone else still waiting on this money?

Yep I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    does anyone have the november 2020 property and/or criminal paper please

I posted my criminal a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lazydiddles

I just got EU and it seems like some of my answer is missing but I can’t be 100% sure because it was so long ago I don’t really remember it but it just doesn’t look right at all

Also has anyone received the breakdown of marks for the subjects that required them ?

I the same. Tbh, it was so long back I don’t even remember what I wrote. The only thing I can be sure of was that it wasn’t a fail paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Do not agree at all, sorry.
    If I could afford it, I would take months off, have private tutoring and essentially become a student again.

With the FE1s you’re not a student, the ‘Normal’ folk have to work full time , some with mortgages , kids and full on lives.
    We don’t have Mammy and Daddy to bank roll our unpaid leave to study for months.
    What other profession has a system like the FE1’s ?
    Accountants already have a training contract when doing CPA or ACCA (my sister got 2 months paid study leave for each sitting)

It seems mental when we’ve already gone to uni, got a law degree and sat and passed all these exams already.

Hi, silent reader here (and couple of years ago now, was active poster on the topic).

I understand and have seen how upset you are, and truly, these exams are not a piece of cake. So I will try to articulate my post as gently as possible, while just pointing out a few things that feel really uneasy to me.

Of course people with rich parents will be advantaged. When have they not been? But stating that only rich and influential people get through fe1s... That's not true, and deep down you know it, I'm sure. I had 0 connections, was working multiple gigs as a final year student and during my year of doing fe1s (5 and 3, passed first time). For context, currently as a trainee in one of the big firms, I am currently the highest earning *person* of my whole family (!), so I was not rich at all, and certainly did not have the money to pay the private prep schools. And yet, I managed to pass them all (though of course, mentally it was so so tough).

Obviously my time of doing fe1s was pre-pandemic so now you have your own challenges and online sittings, another disruption that doesn't facilitate anything. The system is not great, and yes it feels like a big money collection for the law society (wait to see what you pay 9 grand for in ppc1 lol...).

Also while in theory we do already have a law degree, I think it's just fair to say none of my law exams was as challenging as these are. So taking them was I find, a sort of entry "leveler".

I wish you all the best poster, in any case, whatever path you will eventually take. Just please don't put all the people in the same bag, it can feel really offensive for some. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Re-checks..

I think its "provisionally" the 19th for re-check results.
    Just wondering do we log in in the usual way and see a grade or how does the process work? Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

phildub wrote: »
    It does take longer which is annoying, I am not doing it and ai know there is a thread where people will be able answer your question better but it seems from the LS website that you are working during the hybrid but the clock doesn't start on training until after PPC1 which finishes in October. PPC2 also finishes in October so it seems it takes longer than just going into Blackhall. I am open to correction here as, like I said, I am not enrolled in it. But it seems the only advantage over blackhall is that you might find it easier get a contract in a smaller firm that couldn't afford to pay someone who wasn't in the office for 6 months???

You can be credited 5 months training time while in PPC1 in the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Re-checks..

I think its "provisionally" the 19th for re-check results.
    Just wondering do we log in in the usual way and see a grade or how does the process work? Thanks !

Where did you get this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

from the Law Society over the phone, they said 19th Feb "PROVISIONALLY" for the results of the re-checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

from the Law Society over the phone, they said 19th Feb "PROVISIONALLY" for the results of the re-checks.

Makes sense since the closing date for the March exams is 22 February

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

the application for march exams is not up yet. am i correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 examsfe12021

Constitutional

I failed constitutional in November and struggling getting back into it - does anybody have any advice on which topics should be focused on more than others (if there are any?)

Will PPC1 be online this September??

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Will PPC1 be online this September??

Don’t think they’ve said anything about it but I’d imagine the majority of it will be online or it will start off online

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Constitutional....
    The Oireachtas and The Courts find them very long winded are they necessary?

Don’t think they’ve said anything about it but I’d imagine the majority of it will be online or it will start off online

I really hope it's all online. I'm looking to delay moving to Dublin for as long as possible.

I really hope it's all online. I'm looking to delay moving to Dublin for as long as possible.

I can’t see it being back in person until everyone is vaccinated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

I can’t see it being back in person until everyone is vaccinated

Not everyone will be vaccinated anyways so I'm not sure how viable that is.

Hey everyone, is there any section of EU law that I can leave out/add?

I'm thinking of covering:
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    Member state liability
    Judicial Review
    Free movement of goods
    Competition law
    Free movement of workers
    EU citizenship

Hey everyone, is there any section of EU law that I can leave out/add?

I'm thinking of covering:
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    Member state liability
    Judicial Review
    Free movement of goods
    Competition law
    Free movement of workers
    EU citizenship

If you do all those you should be covered !! I personally left out competition in November because I just couldn’t understand it

• Advertisement

If you do all those you should be covered !! I personally left out competition in November because I just couldn’t understand it

I had the same opinion about mortgages for property. Could never get it.

Advertisement