Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Has anyone received the marks for Eu or property ?

received my script for EU earlier this week, no marks yet

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

How can big firms justify almost 80k or above paypackets for NQs that are in their mid 20s? Insane figures. I know solicitors and barristers that have worked for decades that don't earn as much.

It’s actually far lower than U.S. firms in London for similar levels of work (obviously billable hours are a higher). Kirkland & Ellis pays 145k for NQs - good few associates from the big 5 firms have lateraled over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

It’s actually far lower than U.S. firms in London for similar levels of work (obviously billable hours are a higher). Kirkland & Ellis pays 145k for NQs - good few associates from the big 5 firms have lateraled over there.

A total gravy train if you're smart enough to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Have the LS given any indication of when we will get the result to our scripts?

I know we are trying to move on from the LS bashing but....in all fairness what good are the scripts without the exam marks ? Was it to deter people from applying for a re-check?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RudiN99

Anyone happen to have grids for Criminal/EU? Would hugely appreciate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I know we are trying to move on from the LS bashing but....in all fairness what good are the scripts without the exam marks ? Was it to deter people from applying for a re-check?

I think some examiners printed them off and corrected that way and others didn’t. I got equity with the marks on it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Does anyone know of salaries for Trainees and NQs in small firms?

Depending on where in Ireland.

I have seen some in Dublin fetch into the high 50s or 60. In Cork I think 38-55 is kind of the rate.

Not sure about elsewhere but maybe a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fourcourts

I received my script a week ago and am still waiting for the marks.

Some scripts were viewed online and the results were sent to the LS electronically so I imagine they’re scrambling through the emails now trying to find individual results.

Not bashing is all well and good when there is nothing to bash about! However the reality is that nothing has changed- there is a complete lack of transparency with scripts that weren’t physically marked. It also leaves the door wide open for human error when the scripts are viewed online, marked remotely and then results are emailed in separately and recorded by the LS.

They should have issued guidance to examiners to print and physically mark the scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Fourcourts wrote: »
    I received my script a week ago and am still waiting for the marks.

Some scripts were viewed online and the results were sent to the LS electronically so I imagine they’re scrambling through the emails now trying to find individual results.

Not bashing is all well and good when there is nothing to bash about! However the reality is that nothing has changed- there is a complete lack of transparency with scripts that weren’t physically marked. It also leaves the door wide open for human error when the scripts are viewed online, marked remotely and then results are emailed in separately and recorded by the LS.

They should have issued guidance to examiners to print and physically mark the scripts.

Totally agree. I have a feeling that the Examiners are a law onto themselves. No pun intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

Anyone have any Equity sample answers (not Griffith) they're willing to swap?

I have Griffith for Equity, Property, Criminal, Contract and Company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jip000

Hi there, is there anyone who passed contract who is willing to share their script? I cant figure out what im doing so wrong and would like to compare. Have materials to trade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hey guys, does anyone know how long Eoin Carolan has been the examiner for Constitutional? Trying to figure how far back one should go when studying past papers.

I found when studying for EU that when Dr MacMaolain took over (think it was 2015/16) there was a slight shift in style to the questions and looking over older past papers was a waste of time.

I know constitutional is so unpredictable etc so not trying to figure out any patterns or predictions just trying to lighten the study load haha

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know how long Eoin Carolan has been the examiner for Constitutional? Trying to figure how far back one should go when studying past papers.

I found when studying for EU that when Dr MacMaolain took over (think it was 2015/16) there was a slight shift in style to the questions and looking over older past papers was a waste of time.

I know constitutional is so unpredictable etc so not trying to figure out any patterns or predictions just trying to lighten the study load haha

can I ask what topics you are focusing on for constitution? trying in vein to narrow them down!

and sorry I do not know the answer to your question

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Hi folks anyone got up to date non-Griffith sample answers for Equity and Constit. I will pay for them or swap have piles of notes on all subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

awsah wrote: »
    can I ask what topics you are focusing on for constitution? trying in vein to narrow them down!

and sorry I do not know the answer to your question

Same i'm trying to narrow down. At the minute i'm keeping it pretty broad, going through Past Papers and making sure I can identify topics (some of the problem q's are tricky with the topic misxing) hoping to get surface knowledge in nearly all topics bar the small ones like Preamble, Emergency & War, Assembly/Association.

I'd say then 3/4 weeks out I'll try to nail down the case law for the 'big ones' so SOP, Art 38.1, Rights, Freedom of Speech/Religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Constitutional

Trying to limit topics for Constitutional because I really don't think I'll get through it all.
    So far I have
    - President/AG
    - Constitutional Interpretation
    - SOP
    - Sovereignty
    - Trial in Due Course
    - Equality
    - Private Property
    - Freedom of Religion

I'm planning on doing the Family/Education and unenumerated rights (although not sure what ones)
    Any advice on topics people think I definitely need to add would be really helpful!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Constitutional

Trying to limit topics for Constitutional because I really don't think I'll get through it all.
    So far I have
    - President/AG
    - Constitutional Interpretation
    - SOP
    - Sovereignty
    - Trial in Due Course
    - Equality
    - Private Property
    - Freedom of Religion

I'm planning on doing the Family/Education and unenumerated rights (although not sure what ones)
    Any advice on topics people think I definitely need to add would be really helpful!

Thanks.

This is what I have narrowed it down to:

SOP
    Constitutional Interpretation
    Unenumerated rights
    trial in due course of law
    art 38.1 rights
    freedom of religion
    president A/G
    sovereignty
    equality
    private property
    family and education
    courts
    referendum and reform

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Are some people still waiting on a refund for a November exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

awsah wrote: »
    This is what I have narrowed it down to:

SOP
    Constitutional Interpretation
    Unenumerated rights
    trial in due course of law
    art 38.1 rights
    freedom of religion
    president A/G
    sovereignty
    equality
    private property
    family and education
    courts
    referendum and reform

That's great thanks! these are pretty much what I had in mind too!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kellyg248

Hello all, anyone know what time of day the upcoming exams will be held?

• Advertisement

Kellyg248 wrote: »
    Hello all, anyone know what time of day the upcoming exams will be held?

Before they changed the timetable it was 10-1:30 so assuming it will be the same !

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Did that person ever share the results from that google answers where we put in our results from november?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

Am I right in saying the applications for March 2021 have not opened yet?

I keep checking the website but can't see it anywhere, I just want to make sure I don't accidentally miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

BBall2015 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying the applications for March 2021 have not opened yet?

I keep checking the website but can't see it anywhere, I just want to make sure I don't accidentally miss it!

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jip000

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    Are some people still waiting on a refund for a November exam?

Yup, still waiting. Havent heard a thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Probably a stupid question, but how many words/answer are people aiming for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭phildub

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but how many words/answer are people aiming for these days?

I would say quality over quantity when it comes to these exams, if you are worried about a word count you could end up adding in irrelevant topics to fluff up your question which will adversely affect your marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

phildub wrote: »
    I would say quality over quantity when it comes to these exams, if you are worried about a word count you could end up adding in irrelevant topics to fluff up your question which will adversely affect your marks!

I definitely agree! Just curious as to what people would be aiming for generally.

There’s no world count option available so have no idea how many words I wrote but my answers seemed to be around 3 pages typed when I look at them

Obviously that includes spacing for paragraphs and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

I would say anything from 3-6 per question for the written exam. Much harder to judge when typing though!

Advertisement