Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CiaraND16

I still can’t log in it’s been loading for ages, anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

There's something not adding up with how people got on in Company and Equity this sitting... It all seems a bit off.

I thankfully passed equity I got 60% but seeing all these people get the same grade of 43% doesn’t make sense at all

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    There won't be a sitting in April or May after a sitting in March. It would likely be August if at all.

I know a few years ago the exams were brought forward and candidates complained so they put a second sitting on a month later, that’s just where I came up with the April/May timeline - I’ll take anything at this stage 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

How did everyone feel about constitutional?

Shocked failed badly and answered 5 ok or so I thought

CiaraND16 wrote: »
    I still can’t log in it’s been loading for ages, anyone else have this problem?

Close the page and start again afresh sometimes that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

Got through to the law school here as I am still awaiting equity results I only received tort. The lady on the phone was extremely arrogant she was literally shouting down the phone at me telling me they are so busy and whatever my problem was I would have to wait what the the hell I'm absolutely shocked

nicolesd wrote: »
    Got through to the law school here as I am still awaiting equity results I only received tort. The lady on the phone was extremely arrogant she was literally shouting down the phone at me telling me they are so busy and whatever my problem was I would have to wait what the the hell I'm absolutely shocked

Jesus that’s awful! I hope you’re ok! It’s completely reasonable to want the results of your exams!!!

Do you know who it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmer_15

First time poster here. I don't usually use these type of forums but after receiving my results for these exams it has incensed me.
    I sat Equity last March and got 44 which I knew I did a shocking exam, I could barely answer two questions on the paper. This time around after what I thought was a much much stronger exam I received a 41. It makes no sense in my mind. I was so confident I had passed after I got 44 for an exam which was truthfully crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

If anyone suspects something is off with their grade, please express this on @LawSocIreland most recent post on Twitter.

Thankfully no issues for me this time but I know how it feels to be on the other side of the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmer_15

Did anyone else find property to be marked quite harshly?
    Yes I got 44 in Property and I thought I definitely passed it. I felt I had some very strong answers, the fact they weren't enough to get me 50 baffles me.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else find property to be marked quite harshly?

I got 58 in it and I know that’s great as it’s a pass but it was my lowest one and honestly thought it would’ve been in the 60s as I thought I answered pretty well compared to EU which I thought I failed and came out with a higher grade

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Jimmer_15 wrote: »
    First time poster here. I don't usually use these type of forums but after receiving my results for these exams it has incensed me.
    I sat Equity last March and got 44 which I knew I did a shocking exam, I could barely answer two questions on the paper. This time around after what I thought was a much much stronger exam I received a 41. It makes no sense in my mind. I was so confident I had passed after I got 44 for an exam which was truthfully crap.

I'd love to know the pass rate from the last equity sitting? Everyone seems to have thought they'd passed and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

Hi all,

I sat constitutional and contract in November. I received 46% in both disappointingly. Looking for some advice on what to do next? Do I take it as a sign that I should just give up now? I was strong in college and have a 2.1 LLB degree.

Would really appreciate any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

I got 45% in equity , got 49% in the last sitting. I’m sick of that exam now .. I don’t know what I have to do to pass

Do you mind me asking did you apply for a recheck on that 49% equity result ? I got 47% in Equity and definitely felt my paper was deserving of a passable grade. Completed 5 questions and had qualifying case law for each answer. Ridiculous.

Lightup1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I sat constitutional and contract in November. I received 46% in both disappointingly. Looking for some advice on what to do next? Do I take it as a sign that I should just give up now? I was strong in college and have a 2.1 LLB degree.

Would really appreciate any advice!

Don’t give up most people fail one or more of these exams! Take your time with time they’re very stressful but just keep working and the work will pay off!

Request your papers make sure they added the marks right and if you want apply for a recheck

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

Is 46% worth rechecking I answered 5 questions reasonably well and thought I did enough to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    Is 46% worth rechecking?

I am rechecking 43. I just can't face doing that exam again.

I got 58 in it and I know that’s great as it’s a pass but it was my lowest one and honestly thought it would’ve been in the 60s as I thought I answered pretty well compared to EU which I thought I failed and came out with a higher grade

I think so too and considering there was a mistake on the paper that really through people off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Don’t give up most people fail one or more of these exams! Take your time with time they’re very stressful but just keep working and the work will pay off!

Request your papers make sure they added the marks right and if you want apply for a recheck

The problem is we have very limited time before the next set to be waiting for exam scripts, let alone re-checks. The most of us have to prepare for the next set we haven't even attempted yet. It's disheartening, especially when in other years, those who failed even one have at least some time to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

hi guys,

just wondering what the pass rates are like on rechecks? ive never had one and i got 47% in contract with that being my second time sitting it. just wondering if its worth the recheck...?

i definitely thought i passed that and im heartbroken with todays results.

all advice welcome and i hope the majority of peeps are happy

• Advertisement

FE1s2021 wrote: »
    Is 46% worth rechecking I answered 5 questions reasonably well and thought I did enough to pass?

was this contract by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Didn't do crazy well in contract (58), but I really just focussed on continually practising the exam qs and went through every examiners report and noted down all the cases that she mentioned in the,. The examiner was also quite good for stating what she was looking for in the answers. E.g. She flagged Williams v Rofey in past exam reports, and if you didn't know that case well this time around you would have been screwed for one of the PQs.

I think she asked a few of the PQs a bit differently and the essays were a tad specific, but I found that a lot of the cases and questions were quite simmilar to past qs. So maybe just really focussing on doing exam qs and combing through the examiner reports from the start. Although, I know that's probably not very useful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

After reading everyone's posts from the past 2 hours I just want to say 2 things.

First and most importantly, please do not lose hope or give up on these exams. I understand that 2020 was the hardest year ever to do these FE-1 exams, and that is just a testament to your willpower and perseverance - which should stand to all of us when interviewing for TCs. Please hang in there and don't give up (especially the guy who has 7/8 done!!)

Secondly, on a less cheerful note, I agree about the need for a clear marking scheme. Ever since I started studying Law, we were told getting 70% in a law exam/essay is extremely rare. I feel this is the same for the FE-1s and it is a disgrace. Exams are not marked out of 75, they are are marked out of 100. I know for a fact that the examiners for these exams do not spend any more than 2-3 minutes on each paper. Whether that is because, for some archaic reason, only 1 person marks 1000+ papers or because they are lazy and do not care - I don't know. I passed Property and Contract, getting 55 and 54 respectively. I got 50 in Tort back in August aswell. I found Property Law extremely easy compared to the rest and breezed through the exam for the most part. I will be interested to see why I got 55, only 1 percent more than an exam I found tricky. How do I know they spend 2-3 mins per paper? Well I got my Tort paper back some weeks back and to say the marking scheme is a joke is a serious understatement. There is no rhyme or reason to the marks given. I came out of that exam answering 5 questions. My first 3 were very good (I felt), my next 2 were so scrawled together and done in a massive panic. Especially the question where Murr got hit with a drone by some kids. I had no flipping idea what that question was about. What did my corrected paper look like?

5 numbers scribbled on the entire paper. 10, 10, 11, 9, 10. I am telling you for a fact there is zero way that person actually read my answers because my first 3 were levels above my last 2, particularly Q5 which was just me picking out the best out of a bad lot.

Lallers96 wrote: »
    After reading everyone's posts from the past 2 hours I just want to say 2 things.

First and most importantly, please do not lose hope or give up on these exams. I understand that 2020 was the hardest year ever to do these FE-1 exams, and that is just a testament to your willpower and perseverance - which should stand to all of us when interviewing for TCs. Please hang in there and don't give up (especially the guy who has 7/8 done!!)

Secondly, on a less cheerful note, I agree about the need for a clear marking scheme. Ever since I started studying Law, we were told getting 70% in a law exam/essay is extremely rare. I feel this is the same for the FE-1s and it is a disgrace. Exams are not marked out of 75, they are are marked out of 100. I know for a fact that the examiners for these exams do not spend any more than 2-3 minutes on each paper. Whether that is because, for some archaic reason, only 1 person marks 1000+ papers or because they are lazy and do not care - I don't know. I passed Property and Contract, getting 55 and 54 respectively. I got 50 in Tort back in August aswell. I found Property Law extremely easy compared to the rest and breezed through the exam for the most part. I will be interested to see why I got 55, only 1 percent more than an exam I found tricky. How do I know they spend 2-3 mins per paper? Well I got my Tort paper back some weeks back and to say the marking scheme is a joke is a serious understatement. There is no rhyme or reason to the marks given. I came out of that exam answering 5 questions. My first 3 were very good (I felt), my next 2 were so scrawled together and done in a massive panic. Especially the question where Murr got hit with a drone by some kids. I had no flipping idea what that question was about. What did my corrected paper look like?

5 numbers scribbled on the entire paper. 10, 10, 11, 9, 10. I am telling you for a fact there is zero way that person actually read my answers because my first 3 were levels above my last 2, particularly Q5 which was just me picking out the best out of a bad lot.

I agree I’ve gotten to see 4 of my exam scripts and there’s no ticks or anything just a circled number beside each question no comments or anything

I don’t really understand the marking tbh in college I was getting As and high BS so all over like 66 %and so far my highest grade has been 63%

The papers are very similar to my college exams so not sure what extra they’re looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Got the highest FE1 result I've ever got, and the lowest FE1 result I've ever got. So 7 down, 1 to resit. I don't know why but I am very frustrated by this. I was mentally ready to move on to the next stage of my life.

lawDani wrote: »
    was this contract by any chance

No it was property.

I sat four this sitting and failed one and im so dissapointed.

Has anyone come up from 46%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

I'm hearing a lot of positive re-check stories. Has anyone not passed from a re-check?

Also, how many weeks during normal times does it take for re-checks to be processed. I see the cut-off date is end of January, so thats two-weeks out the window anyway, leaving one month left for re-check results.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

Just got my equity result i got 58 when I only answered basically 4 qs it is my second time sitting it though. I am going to request my script but will happily send it on to anyone when I receive it if anyone wants to have a look or use for study purposes

AnnabelleK wrote: »
    Got 43 in contract . I really thought that I passed :(

i was the same with contract. i requested copy of my script straight away. last sitting i got 46 and this time i got 47

• Advertisement

nicolesd wrote: »
    Just got my equity result i got 58 when I only answered basically 4 qs it is my second time sitting it though. I am going to request my script but will happily send it on to anyone when I receive it if anyone wants to have a look or use for study purposes

i would be obliged to receive your copy script :) and well done!

Advertisement