Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Does anyone have the March 2020 criminal exam report? Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

fe12021 wrote: »
    anything that can be left out of criminal?

Or anything that must definitely be done? Is an essay q on strict liability and on omissions due a run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

Is everyone at the stage now where they’re learning off are some people still doing notes etc :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Fe123 wrote: »
    Is everyone at the stage now where they’re learning off are some people still doing notes etc :(

Trying to condense notes and learn something but think I’ll just have to start the exam papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

TCPIP wrote: »
    Same and was wondering if they just didn't like me.

Hey I applied way back in October and heard back the same day about an interview the following week. Send me a PM if you want to know anything about the process it was pretty straight forward and informal. I was offered an internship place on the day of my interview. I’d say they’ve received much more applications now and are just making their way through them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ullaw22

don't stress, it's a really predictable paper and i would personally say you've covered enough. succession is almost always two questions so that's 40% of your revision done. assuming about property is finding objects? if so, that's very often on there too as is AP/easements (sometimes both but from what I can remember almost always at least one of them - so maybe add easements but this is just a personal take. it's also quite an easy topic imo...i found it much more bearable than stuff like mortgages and fam property and i left out landlords from revision entirely). co-ownership didn't come up in the last paper - if i remember correctly, p sure i would have answered on it if it did - so i think you're pretty set.

Thanks that's such a great help! Was just glossing over easements and think you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Would anybody have any advice regarding freedom of speech and what's important or good to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Hi everyone, was hoping someone could be a gem and help me figure out how to answer this August question from EU:

August 2020
    Maria is a Dutch national, currently employed as a shift worker in the banking computer centre in Breda, a city in the south of the Netherlands. She resides with her husband Pierre and their two children Lucas (aged 15) and Ruben (aged 18), in the northern suburbs of Antwerp, just over the border in northern Belgium. The family moved from Breda to Antwerp just under a year ago.

Lucas is in his penultimate year of secondary school, still attending the same school in Breda as he was when Maria and her family resided there. He commutes by organised school transport from his home in Antwerp every day. Neither Maria or her husband Pierre can bring Lucas to school every day due to the shift hours Maria has to work, which are often at night, and given that Pierre voluntarily took early retirement just under a year ago from his job as a firefighter in Brussels, Belgium.

A locally administered scheme in Breda bears the cost of school transport to students in the final two years of their secondary education. However, MAria has been informed that the local council will not cover those costs for Lucas as the obligation to organise and pay for this transport relates to students residing in Breda only.

Ruben finished his secondary schooling at the same school in Breda last year and now attends art college in Ghent, Belgium. He has been charged the exact same enrolment fees as all other EU nationals on his course (€1750 p/a) but his application to the public student support scheme for a loan of €5500 to cover accommodation costs in Ghent has been refused on the basis that these financial supports are only available to people who (i) have been made involuntarily redundant from work in the past twelve months; or (ii) are the children of a parent currently working in Belgium; or (iii) are the children of a parent who has been made involuntarily unemployed in Belgium in the past two years.

Outraged by these two discrete Dutch and Belgium decisions, Maria comes to you for advice on whether the refusal to (i) cover the school transport costs for Lucas and (ii) provide Ruben with a student loan, constitutes unjustifiable indirect discrimination against migrant workers as prohibited under EU law.

Advise Maria, referring to relevant CJEU caselaw throughout your answer.

Question 5 required an answer on FMOW and possibly citizenship and the State supports available to residents of a State only. It required an examination of whether it is compatible with EU law in this area to make benefits like a school transport reimbursement scheme, available to people who live in a set area only, especially when they have had to move resident over the border to another EU MS for employment purposes. The second part of the question sought an examination of primarily the case law, rights and entitlements to supports for students who move from one MS to another for education. The best answers would also consider whether the type of course that Ruben has enrolled in would constitute the type of vocational education and or training covered by EU law.

I am happy enough with the second part. But in relation to the first part, what points can be made? I was thinking that the rules did not apply because Maria and her family were living in her MS of origin so thus the provisions on EU citizenship were not triggered? Then in relation to FMOW-Art 45 prevents national discrimination Art 7 of 2011 Freedom of Movement for Workers Regulations provides that “a worker shall enjoy the same social and tax advantages as national workers”. So would you just get into a discussion on national discrimination using caselaw? But I didn't know the case law to expand on that. I am just having trouble reasoning it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Nope not yet. I'm doing my last 3 in March and hope to have my notes done by Wednesday, giving me 3 weeks to focus on learning them and doing past paper questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Nope not yet. I'm doing my last 3 in March and hope to have my notes done by Wednesday, giving me 3 weeks to focus on learning them and doing past paper questions.

Great so I’m not alone :) can I ask which exams you have left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Great so I’m not alone :) can I ask which exams you have left?

Company, Constitutional, Contract... yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Is there anything that people feel is a must to cover for company in the upcoming paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Is there anything that people feel is a must to cover for company in the upcoming paper?

Corporate borrowing as it very surprisingly did not appear on November paper. Also separate legal personality as that was quite due and didn’t come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

I still have a small amount of notes to do, think I should be done by Monday though and then I'll just be learning off and doing exam q's. I have been looking at exam q's throughout but not really writing out full/proper answers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

ullaw22 wrote: »
    Right so this is my first run out with the FE1s and I'm really struggling. Only doing one: Property. Am I deluded in thinking that About Property, Succession, Coownership, Family Property, Licences and Rights of Residence, Landlord and Tenant, Adverse Possession and Judgment Mortgages would be enough to have covered? Haven't touched off anything else yet and am balancing this with full-time college course so would prefer take the chance on just studying these if it's in any way realistic to pass with just these topics covered. All help massively appreciated!

Property is very predictable
    Succession and adverse possession are 100% guaranteed - usually make up about 3 questions of the paper so know it inside out
    Coownership is due to come up because it didn’t in November
    Family property did come up in November but that’s not to say it won’t come up again
    If you’re doing judgment mortgages IMO you’re better doing the entire chapter
    Landlord and tenant law is also a good one!
    You’re better just looking through the topics and seeing what comes up because it is quite repetitive.

I got 61% in November and it was my first FE1 too. Let me know if you would like to see my scripts just send me a message. Property was the easiest IMO so don’t stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

Fe179user wrote: »
    Property is very predictable
    Succession and adverse possession are 100% guaranteed - usually make up about 3 questions of the paper so know it inside out
    Coownership is due to come up because it didn’t in November
    Family property did come up in November but that’s not to say it won’t come up again
    If you’re doing judgment mortgages IMO you’re better doing the entire chapter
    Landlord and tenant law is also a good one!
    You’re better just looking through the topics and seeing what comes up because it is quite repetitive.

I got 61% in November and it was my first FE1 too. Let me know if you would like to see my scripts just send me a message. Property was the easiest IMO so don’t stress.

Agree with this!! Could also cover the topic of finding, it's a really short topic which came up in November but has come up quite frequently lately, if it comes up it's a nice easy problem question to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Hi everyone, was hoping someone could be a gem and help me figure out how to answer this August question from EU:

August 2020

Hi, I’m still working through FMOG and won’t be working on FMOW exam questions until next week. I’d love to go through the answer then( unless someone has gotten back to you)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Corporate borrowing as it very surprisingly did not appear on November paper. Also separate legal personality as that was quite due and didn’t come up!

So would you say a question on crystallisation and the Solomon v Solomon question???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fe12021

anyone able to tell me what came up in the november criminal paper? thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

anyone able to tell me what came up in the november criminal paper? thanks a mil

Hey I posted my paper a while ago but I will leave it again here, there was a big mix of topics, I think it really demostrates that you need to know most of the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

What list of topics are people learning for company?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

Anyone have notes/an answer for distribution of assets when winding up?

Anyone have property sample answers???

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LegalEagle21

Anyone have property sample answers???

I have. PM me your email

Dear Candidate,

The March 2021 sitting of the FE-1 will be delivered online due to the current Living with Covid Level 5 restrictions. We thank you for your application.

What online examination system will be used?

We will be using an online examination system (Better Examinations) and Proctorio software to record video and audio as you sit the examination.

What happens next?

The FE-1 Section are currently finalising the processing of applications.

On Thursday 4 March you will receive an email from the FE-1 Section with further details of the online exams, guides to get your laptop/PC set up to take the online exam and details of the Practice Examination.

You will receive a separate email from Better Examinations (BE) welcoming you to their system, including your logon details.

What dates to I need to be aware of?

March 4

Email from FE-1 Section followed shortly by email from BE

March 11 – 15

Practice Examination

March 23 – 1 April

FE-1 Examinations

Will instructions be provided?

Yes, you will receive step-by-step guides on how to download the software required to take the exams online and to troubleshoot any issues you may encounter.

Why is the Practice Examination important?

Before the FE-1 examination every candidate is strongly advised to avail of a practice examination. In addition to familiarising yourself with the software, the practice examination also checks whether your hardware meets our Technical Requirements. Please ensure that you use the same laptop/device for the Practice Examination that you will use for your FE-1 examinations in March. This is important as you will be asked to download some software on to your device before the Practice Examination starts. This software only has to be installed once and you will not have to install it again for your examinations.

** If you are using a laptop/PC provided by your employer please check that the security settings permit you to download software.

When can I access the Practice Examination?

You may log on to the online examination system (Better Examinations) to take a practice examination at any time (including evenings and the weekend) between 10.00am on 11 March and 5.00pm on 15 March.

The purpose of providing this practice examination is to allow you to familiarise yourself with the online examination system. A sample paper consisting of questions from a number of subjects will be available. You are advised to familiarise yourself with the system and provide answers to each of the practice questions. You may leave the practice examination at any time. Any answers you provide will not be marked.

A helpline will be available to assist you with any queries you may have between 10.00am and 2.00pm on 11, 12 and 15 March. Any queries you have at other times should be emailed to fe1section@lawsociety.ie and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please include FE-1 Practice Examination in the subject line.

I already have an account set up on the Better Examinations system?

You will need to set up a new account. The online examinations system (Better Examinations) was recently updated and so the URL and account details will be different.

Can you recap what happens next please?

The next communication from the FE-1 Section will be an email containing details on the examination system (Better Examinations), guides for setting up the system on your laptop/PC and details of the Practice Examination.

If you do not receive this email by 5pm on 4 Thursday March, please check your spam/junk folders. If you have not receive the email please email fe1section@lawosciety.ie and include FE-1 Practice Examination in the subject line.

Kind regards

FE-1 SECTION

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

sunnylegal wrote: »

I do if you want to pm me your email! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fe1mary

Would anyone have equity sample answers they wouldn't mind sharing? :)

sunnylegal wrote: »

The order of entitlement for payment out of the proceeds of liquidation is as follows:

∙ secured chargeholders
    ∙ costs and expenses of an examiner
    ∙ costs, charges and expenses incurred in the winding up of the company including the remuneration of the liquidator
    ∙ preferential creditors such as the Revenue Commissioners, the rating authority and employees
    ∙ floating chargeholders
    ∙ unsecured creditors
    ∙ members of the company

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Is anyone here that is doing equity leaving out tracing? I was going to cover it and spent this morning reading about it but I find it quite confusing and am thinking of leaving it out now.. I have most other topics for equity covered and am only leaving out constructive trusts, (tracing), the part of complete constitution that never comes up and maybe estoppel because its come up a good few times in a row now.

• Advertisement

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Is anyone here that is doing equity leaving out tracing? I was going to cover it and spent this morning reading about it but I find it quite confusing and am thinking of leaving it out now.. I have most other topics for equity covered and am only leaving out constructive trusts, (tracing), the part of complete constitution that never comes up and maybe estoppel because its come up a good few times in a row now.

I’m not sitting equity but from what I can remember when I was doing it, I got a sample answer and learned it off. I found tracing a bit confusing too! That could be an option just incase it comes up!

Advertisement