Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

They FE-1s are for anyone who has graduated from a level 7 degree in any subject that wants to be a solicitor - don’t think it has anything to do with brexit or brexit would have any impact tbh - in my opinion they should be scrapped for law grads as we have already sat and passed all these exams but don’t think we will see an exemption for law grads any time soon

Also level 8! Heck you could have a PHD in law and still have to do the FE1s...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Also level 8! Heck you could have a PHD in law and still have to do the FE1s...

I meant level 7 and above sorry haha

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

Have 7 passed now (though it did take me quite a while to get there with many fails and rechecks and lots of tears) just have constitutional law left for March couldnt really study the past few weeks with nerves any one who passed constitutional have tips/advice on passing? Or have any good notes from the last sitting they could give me I have really good up to date materials for all other exams I can swap I'm hoping to start ppc 1 in September if I get a TC that is and pass constitutional law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    This thread is always buzzing on results day but I've never seen it like this. So frustrated & heartbroken for the people who have been screwed over today :-(

The petition & it's edits are awesome so big thanks to the person who created it and I'll give it another boost here: http://chng.it/zZ8gqnMHp6

It is imperative that we receive a marking scheme and more transparency altogether. I, and it sounds like many others on here, have had enough.

Will someone post this on the Facebook pages? I think there is a Reddit as well if I'm not mistaken. The last petition to push out the October exams was 600+ signatures. Surely with more people this time round needing more time than the number of people in August (and additional rage from various other things) we can get more support than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EM11

nicolesd wrote: »
    Have 7 passed now (though it did take me quite a while to get there with many fails and rechecks and lots of tears) just have constitutional law left for March couldnt really study the past few weeks with nerves any one who passed constitutional have tips/advice on passing? Or have any good notes from the last sitting they could give me I have really good up to date materials for all other exams I can swap I'm hoping to start ppc 1 in September if I get a TC that is and pass constitutional law

I would definitely keep an eye out for recent case law with Constitutional! Of all the exams, it's the most important here. A lot of questions on the last paper referenced specific cases, and it would have been hard to answer without knowing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Lallers96 wrote: »
    It took 3 weeks exactly for my Tort script to come back from the date I requested it.

They're going have to step it up and get in line with their own timelines. There is no due process afforded to a candidate in respect of their rights in terms of rechecks/appeals. In any case a candidate should be able to view their script and then have time to consider whether or not they wish to proceed with a recheck based upon a thorough review instead of pursuing a recheck with blind faith.

That would be fair, just and reasonable its time we start shoving these policy considerations back on them. After all its what we should be duly afforded in addition to a transparent marking scheme. The examiners reports do not qualify in this regard and there is a big discrepancy in terms of value within those reports as quiet a few of those examiners reports are written with such a pompous attitude outlining two sentence comment as opposed to outlining what the topic of the question was and in particular what was needed.

FE1_2020_ wrote: »
    They're going have to step it up and get in line with their own timelines. There is no due process afforded to a candidate in respect of their rights in terms of rechecks/appeals. In any case a candidate should be able to view their script and then have time to consider whether or not they wish to proceed with a recheck based upon a thorough review instead of pursuing a recheck with blind faith.

That would be fair, just and reasonable its time we start shoving these policy considerations back on them. After all its what we should be duly afforded in addition to a transparent marking scheme. The examiners reports do not qualify in this regard and there is a big discrepancy in terms of value within those reports as quiet a few of those examiners reports are written with such a pompous attitude outlining two sentence comment as opposed to outlining what the topic of the question was and in particular what was needed.

This is so well worded! I hope you sent it in an email off to the law soc!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

This is so well worded! I hope you sent it in an email off to the law soc!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fedonezo

So sorry to hear of all the anger/disappointment from today’s results. The process is a complete disgrace and the LSI need to be held accountable. I have seen some extremely good points being made on this thread today and believe this should be brought to the papers/media in some way. This seems to be the only way to get a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Is anyone still struggling to log in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I am so glad for this forum, that people are having the same issues and are open about it. Just wanted to thank everyone as today would have been harder without you all. We have all done extremely well to even get here with a global pandemic. I think that will stand to us when we eventually put these god awful exams behind us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Hi everyone,

Is it worth getting a Constitution recheck I got 46 and felt the exam went well and I answered all 5 questions I had got 47 in the sitting previously where I only had 4 questions and a guess answer.

Am I correct in saying everyone feels the exams were marked harder this sitting due to being online? I can’t make heads or tails of my results. Extremely shocked and upset with all of my results to the point of being nauseous!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fe1Student20

AnnabelleK wrote: »
    Got 43 in contract . I really thought that I passed :(

I'm the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Fedonezo wrote: »
    So sorry to hear of all the anger/disappointment from today’s results. The process is a complete disgrace and the LSI need to be held accountable. I have seen some extremely good points being made on this thread today and believe this should be brought to the papers/media in some way. This seems to be the only way to get a response.

i agree. some rechecks can take 6 weeks seemingly and others 3. there is no consistency with and thus no to little RELIANCE on the LSI

• Registered Users Posts: 24 blondie8856

I passed Equity thankfully, got 53% but thought I had done way better. Was expecting to see 60% at least ... I think the exams were marked very harshly.

Quick question, if I request to view my script can I also see how it was marked? Or must I get it rechecked to see the marks? Curious as to how they marked it.

I passed Equity thankfully, got 53% but thought I had done way better. Was expecting to see 60% at least ... I think the exams were marked very harshly.

Quick question, if I request to view my script can I also see how it was marked? Or must I get it rechecked to see the marks? Curious as to how they marked it.

Usually they just sent a scan of the marked paper but there’s never any comments on it just a number beside each answer

Not sure how it will work with the online exams tbh I’m not sure if they printed off the exam and the examiner marked it that way or will you just be sent a copy with nothing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

It is actually depressing to think of all the well-worded, well-thought out emails, which contain so many valid arguments that have been sent to the law society only to be met with such blatant disregard. I have said it before and will say it again, they are in a dreadfully powerful position and the sheer lack of accountability on their end is horrific.

As already stated by one person, it is shocking that one would have sat an exam that they may have passed and have to pay for a recheck in blind faith, having not seen their script. The process is beyond flawed from beginning to end and the LSI's inability as an institution to host these examinations, is evident. They have not got what is required for the role they play in the legal sector and this is evident in their lack of communication, clarity and general demeanour which they present to candidates who are shelling out a small fortune to sit these exams.

Thankfully, I got a few good results today but also got bad ones and like many others I cannot make sense of the logic behind the grading. I failed exams which I was enormously confident for and passed ones which I thought left a lot to be desired. It isn't unrealistic to ask for adequate time to seek due process. It isn't unrealistic to have exams corrected in a more efficient and expedient manner. It is not by any means unrealistic to expect a marking scheme.

I have seen petitions, call outs on social media, and all the rest and I genuinely do not know how the people in the LSI don't see or understand the effect their sheer lack of decent infrastructure is having on people trying their absolute best, in a challenging enough time as it is, to enter the legal profession.

To those who were happy today with results, and especially those who are now finished with the FE1's, I congratulate you and wish you every success going forward. To those who feel hard done by or let down, your feelings are absolutely justified. However, if you can continue through this period, despite the inadequacies of the Law Society, the legal profession will be lucky to have you at what I'm sure is not a too distant point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

They usually send you a pdf of your full corrected script. So you see the marks you got per question and can check that they were added up correctly on the front page

Well done on passing! :) The equity examiner is a harsh marker anyway, so 53% is pretty decent

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fedonezo

I definitely think if there was a bit of pressure from the media the LSI would up their game a bit. There is clearly no consistency in the marking of these papers and therefore the money we pay to sit them cannot be justified!! The lack of transparency says it all.

I didn’t actually sit any exams this time round but I would URGE people to contact the Independent/Irish News etc (on Twitter or email) and draw their attention to this thread as well as the current petition - it would be a huge help to draw some attention outside of boards to this mayhem!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EM95

Congratulations to those who passed unfortunately I was not successful in Company or Contract with 48% very disappointed and disheartened not sure what I will do now was not expecting those results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Fe1Student20

Has anyone had any joy with a Contract recheck in the past? Got 43 but thought it had gone better to at least pass.

I got Tort rechecked after the August sitting and went from 45 to precisely 45 once again, so I'm a tad more wary of just forking over more money to this crowd. I thought UCD were bad for being a money racket, don't have a patch on this esteemed society!

EM95 wrote: »
    Congratulations to those who passed unfortunately I was not successful in Company or Contract with 48% very disappointed and disheartened not sure what I will do now was not expecting those results.

Was it your first sitting can I ask ?

I would definitely request your script and maybe even a re check because you’re so close

But definitely don’t be too hard on yourself you will get there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

FE1_2020_ wrote: »

Exactly. And sure the Tort examiners report is awful. Literally just a copy and pasted response along the lines of "candidates would be best advised to answer the question that was asked". My goodness why didn't I think of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

I really hope the law society will consider pushing the exams forward a few weeks given that so many people are now left completely stunned by the results this morning. I think if we all collectively try put on the pressure surely they will have to?

I really hope the law society will consider pushing the exams forward a few weeks given that so many people are now left completely stunned by the results this morning. I think if we all collectively try put on the pressure surely they will have to?

I’ve seen a good few people that have emailed but they haven’t even responded to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I would much rather for them to get our scripts/rechecks back to us asap and potentially add another sitting in August, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

What are people putting down for Fe1 Examination No. on the recheck form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I would much rather for them to get our scripts/rechecks back to us asap and potentially add another sitting in August, if at all.

The August sitting was only because they didn't have the opportunity to write the final FE1 topics in March. There was only a small number of people left to write. The fact they were in August and not sooner was appalling, actually.

If anything, they should be pushing these exams as a whole out to April, because it has affected all FE1 topics receiving the results so late. Not to mention to make up for the month lost from the November exams.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

Can’t see there being one in august as there was the same issue with not enough time between the results and the sitting in October which lead to the first petition to get the exams pushed back till November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

What are people putting down for Fe1 Examination No. on the recheck form?

I left it blank as we didn't get one.

Advertisement