Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Fe179user wrote: »
    I’m thinking of switching from 2 FE1s to just doing 1 FE1 as I think it’s too heavy right now with work and a masters degree (I did 3 in November but burned out massively after). Does anyone know if I contact the law society can I get a refund if I decide to sit just 1 instead of 2 I applied for?

I’m not certain but I highly doubt it!!! What two are you sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

equity

hey would people think its safe to leave out constructive and resulting trusts and trustees ??

I'm leaving out constructive and resulting trusts but I m preparing for trustees.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

123456789j wrote: »
    Guys has anyone got any predictions/bankers for constitutional? Also would appreciate any tips for the exam and how the exam is generally marked

He loves separation of power, freedom of expression combined with right to privacy, property rights and right to earn a Livelihood. He loves recent cases. He loves mixing in the questions and inventing scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

I’m not certain but I highly doubt it!!! What two are you sitting?

Constitutional and tort law - they’re both really content heavy and I’m quite worried

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zlatorog

Hey, bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question here but roughly how many cases should I be looking at per answer for property? I'm currently going through succession and I feel the manual is just riddled with caselaw ratios and very little by way of facts. I also note from the reports that the examiner isn't too keen on just listing cases without some context, so I could do with a steer on keeping the balance right. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Constitutional and tort law - they’re both really content heavy and I’m quite worried

I was really hoping you weren’t going to say both of them! I can’t comment on constitutional because I haven’t sat that yet but tort can be tough! If you’re that worried, just try to be as selective as you can with topics. Luck is a part of these exams too I think. I work full time (mostly about 60 hours a week including overtime), I don’t have any undergrad in law or anything for that matter! I passed the preliminary exam the law society offers and started the FE1s straight away. I’ve a child running around looking for my attention every time I go to study! Just knuckle down as much as you can, you’ll get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

hey lads, do you think the UCD constitutional seminar thing would be worth it for the exam? really trying to buckle down constitutional law

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    hey lads, do you think the UCD constitutional seminar thing would be worth it for the exam? really trying to buckle down constitutional law

Eoin Carolan is the examiner and he loves recent case law which the seminar is based on. I’m going to be cramming whatever he mentions in the seminar because I know people who’ve done the same for past exams and passed. Not saying it’s a guarantee but it’s as close as we can get in an exam as unpredictable as constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Fedone wrote: »
    Eoin Carolan is the examiner and he loves recent case law which the seminar is based on. I’m going to be cramming whatever he mentions in the seminar because I know people who’ve done the same for past exams and passed. Not saying it’s a guarantee but it’s as close as we can get in an exam as unpredictable as constitutional.

thanks, you've just convinced me to pay for it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    thanks, you've just convinced me to pay for it lol

I have also paid for it, can’t do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

I have also paid for it, can’t do any harm.

Do you get the notes straight away or do you have to wait until the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

Here's a link to a paper written by Eoin Carolan in May of last year on the relationship between the Constitution and politics in Ireland, might be useful to cite as a recent opinion if the right question comes up!

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=716097073084074002127113069098121004042021055002019085109020124093009000126104001018021054116024117056041071108019104102094077055058046000054082096105072094125114126093026076124066083008125126100093070090117000119031123087097001115073017113095069096017&EXT=pdf&INDEX=TRUE

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Do you get the notes straight away or do you have to wait until the day?

No just signed up for the online seminar.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

No just signed up for the online seminar.

wait until the day id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Zlatorog wrote: »
    Hey, bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question here but roughly how many cases should I be looking at per answer for property? I'm currently going through succession and I feel the manual is just riddled with caselaw ratios and very little by way of facts. I also note from the reports that the examiner isn't too keen on just listing cases without some context, so I could do with a steer on keeping the balance right. Thanks!

i would say just have one per point, like no point in learning off 3 cases that say the same thing. if one case says A =B but one case says A = C then you should be able to compare those

I was really hoping you weren’t going to say both of them! I can’t comment on constitutional because I haven’t sat that yet but tort can be tough! If you’re that worried, just try to be as selective as you can with topics. Luck is a part of these exams too I think. I work full time (mostly about 60 hours a week including overtime), I don’t have any undergrad in law or anything for that matter! I passed the preliminary exam the law society offers and started the FE1s straight away. I’ve a child running around looking for my attention every time I go to study! Just knuckle down as much as you can, you’ll get there!

It’s so hard to cut anything down I might go for doing basic notes for a few topics and in depth for more common topics but it’s hard to even know, I did company property and contract in November and they were more predictable than these two and it’s just stressing me out! I feel for you though with having children studying can be super hard!

Fedone wrote: »

Do you have to be a ucd student to attend this?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Has a question ever come up on the duty to seek out and preserve evidence? Or has it even been part of a question? Seems a fairly big topic with lots of developments and case law but can't seem to find any past paper questions on it.

Do you have to be a ucd student to attend this?

no i signed up!

It’s so hard to cut anything down I might go for doing basic notes for a few topics and in depth for more common topics but it’s hard to even know, I did company property and contract in November and they were more predictable than these two and it’s just stressing me out! I feel for you though with having children studying can be super hard!

It’s very tough! For tort anyway... I’ll definitely be covering medicial neg, defamation, res ipsa loquitur, damages, occupiers, nuisance, product, trespass the person and DOC in general. I think some of these are due a run and I’ll go back over the grid and pick out more closer the time.

• Advertisement

The only thing I will say is that those two are spaced apart on the time table. if you looked over tort this weekend and then threw yourself into constitutional from Monday,that give you about 8 days of study for that and then about a week after for tort and if you just start learning off you should get enough done.

could you message your master's professors and say you need to take these next 3 weeks off, that you can attend classes but ask for an extension on any homework? can work give you any time off to study?

I totally feel you though, I am doing 4 with a full time job and I think I have taken on too much, I was thinking during the week of only doing 2 or 3 but I just decided to give it a go and hopefully I get all four

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

What are people covering for EU?

I have Institutions, General Principles, Direct Effect & MS Liability, Judicial Review, FMOG so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

I have Institutions, General Principles, Direct Effect & MS Liability, Judicial Review, FMOG so far.

I have these and then free movement of workers/citizenship and I've also done notes on anti discrimination/equality which is a bit of a random one tbh. Might throw in services and establishment if I have time too. I'm avoiding competition law so that's why I'm doing slightly more random ones instead

I did it in November so not looking at the grid or anything but if you have time might be worth while adding FMOP, it is topical as we are being restricted right now from moving around the EU which is technically in breach of our right to freemovement as citizens of the EU, but they are obviously using one of the public policy justifications, so maybe FMOW and citizenship?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Contract

Hi all, has anyone any predictions for Contract? Really stressing out over this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Contract

Hi all, has anyone any predictions for Contract? Really stressing out over this one.

I was thinking;
    Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Privity
    Misrepresentation
    Terms
    Remedies
    Consumer Protection
    Illegal contracts
    Undue influence
    Discharge

Is there anything I have left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

I was thinking;
    Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Privity
    Misrepresentation
    Terms
    Remedies
    Consumer Protection
    Illegal contracts
    Undue influence
    Discharge

I’m doing the same but covering mistake and not covering illegal contracts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

I was thinking;
    Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Privity
    Misrepresentation
    Terms
    Remedies
    Consumer Protection
    Illegal contracts
    Undue influence
    Discharge

Thanks for this. Are you covering both implied and Express terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Hi All - Apologies if this was already shared, but can anyone advise what was on the Autumn 2020 property and company exam please?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

bigchungus wrote: »
    Someone posted a google drive with all the past papers/sample answers a few pages back

Ah thanks, I missed that, will have a look

Advertisement