Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lawabc

I’m leaving it out, the constitutional course I did put it down in the lowest priority level for learning

Could you share what your course said are the most important topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

anyone got condensed notes on equality and property rights for constitutional law?? and or some sample answers for equality i can send law school workshop for this sitting for constitutional law in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 2020FE1

Lawabc wrote: »

City didnt really give an opinion either way on most topics except for pointing out some recent cases. But did tip the houses of the Oireachtas if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

AA247 wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

Re Question 2: what am I missing here? Ok freedom of expression? But there is obviously another topic in this?

Question 5: is this just right to property and livelihood?

Question 8: what is this?

Didn't sit the exam myself but im thinking fair procedures is involved in Q2,
    Q5 - management of natural resources, property livelihood and it's a criminal offence so maybe an aspect in trial of due course of law is it a vague offence? idk,
    Q8 - liberty being detained on mental health grounds, could throw in some personal rights here like being observed so maybe right to privacy, right to bodily integrity, maybe also fair procedures right to be heard, was his detention a proportionate response, maybe locus standi of the sister sorry I'm not too sure on this one.

hope my random thoughts don't confuse you further lol

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Thanks for that!

Re Question 2: what am I missing here? Ok freedom of expression? But there is obviously another topic in this?

Question 5: is this just right to property and livelihood?

Question 8: what is this?

I think that paper more than any seems to reflect how this examiner is so topical with his questions. Question 2 is FOE yes but it also talks about a preliminary enquiry so you have to know all about Shatter v Guerin from 2019 and Fair procedures when it comes to a prelim enquiry.

Then Q8 is a mixed bag but again if you covered the case of AC V Cork Uni Hospital (2019) you'd be on the right track as it's wardship, capacity etc.

FYI, I had similar questions to you when first looking at those questions but the NBN 2020 & recent video cleared up a lot. The Lecturer in that video basically says if you didn't know Shatter v Guerin you were kinda screwed. I would deffo advise you to watch it in advance of the exam- I watched it yesterday and I'm going to focus on some of the new cases he highlighted to fill up my last weeks prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FEONE

Is there anything which people are focusing on for directors duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jjjjjop

For tort, I have nuisance, duty of case, standard of case, passing off, employers liability, vicarious liablity, defamation, nervous shock.

Might add tresspass to land and to the person... am i safe with these or should i add more??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Lawabc wrote: »

Constitutional interpretation, SOP (specifically executive / international law), personal rights, property rights, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom of association, religion were the ‘high risk’ topics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Constitutional interpretation, SOP (specifically executive / international law), personal rights, property rights, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom of association, religion were the ‘high risk’ topics :)

I would think a q on the AG is well due but fairly impossible to guess with constitutional!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Didn't sit the exam myself but im thinking fair procedures is involved in Q2,
    Q5 - management of natural resources, property livelihood and it's a criminal offence so maybe an aspect in trial of due course of law is it a vague offence? idk,
    Q8 - liberty being detained on mental health grounds, could throw in some personal rights here like being observed so maybe right to privacy, right to bodily integrity, maybe also fair procedures right to be heard, was his detention a proportionate response, maybe locus standi of the sister sorry I'm not too sure on this one.

hope my random thoughts don't confuse you further lol

Thank you! You are a lot more prepared than me :) You know it’s bad when you’ve a paper in front of you and still can’t answer it haha - funny feeling I’ll be sitting this a third time in Autumn :)

• Advertisement

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    I think that paper more than any seems to reflect how this examiner is so topical with his questions. Question 2 is FOE yes but it also talks about a preliminary enquiry so you have to know all about Shatter v Guerin from 2019 and Fair procedures when it comes to a prelim enquiry.

Then Q8 is a mixed bag but again if you covered the case of AC V Cork Uni Hospital (2019) you'd be on the right track as it's wardship, capacity etc.

FYI, I had similar questions to you when first looking at those questions but the NBN 2020 & recent video cleared up a lot. The Lecturer in that video basically says if you didn't know Shatter v Guerin you were kinda screwed. I would deffo advise you to watch it in advance of the exam- I watched it yesterday and I'm going to focus on some of the new cases he highlighted to fill up my last weeks prep.

Thank you I will check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

Would anyone have recent sample answers from 2015 onwards for constitutional? Mine are all old cases

. I have loads to swap if anyone needs anything

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitz_95

Would anyone happen to have a good condensed type essay for an Ultra Vires Question? happy to trade anything in return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ElMo7

Hi guys, could anyone give me some advice on how much information is required for a case note in constitutional? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fe1555

ElMo7 wrote: »
    Hi guys, could anyone give me some advice on how much information is required for a case note in constitutional? Thanks

I sat the paper in november and wasn't planning on doing the case note as it's so unpredictable. On the day I had to as I couldn't answer other questions. One case was McGhee v AG so that was a bit easier to write on as it's such a well known case in constitutional but the other one i mildly remembered the facts. I feel like that is common with the case note, there'll be one or two old seminal cases and one or two newer cases. I'd say I typed 20 lines ish per case and it ended up being the question I got the highest marks on which I was shocked about. I just briefly wrote out the facts and why it's an important in case, what it changed or the impact it had etc.
    Constitutional is a daunting paper because of the sheer amount of topics but the examiner, in my opinion, is a very fair marker and will give you marks where he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fe1555

People who have sat tort, would you say the examiner is a fair or harsh marker? Struggling with the amount to learn and unpredictability of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

Thank you I will check that out!

what is the NBN lecture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

fe1555 wrote: »
    I sat the paper in november and wasn't planning on doing the case note as it's so unpredictable. On the day I had to as I couldn't answer other questions. One case was McGhee v AG so that was a bit easier to write on as it's such a well known case in constitutional but the other one i mildly remembered the facts. I feel like that is common with the case note, there'll be one or two old seminal cases and one or two newer cases. I'd say I typed 20 lines ish per case and it ended up being the question I got the highest marks on which I was shocked about. I just briefly wrote out the facts and why it's an important in case, what it changed or the impact it had etc.
    Constitutional is a daunting paper because of the sheer amount of topics but the examiner, in my opinion, is a very fair marker and will give you marks where he can.

he wants the impact, change , that sort of thing more so than the facts so you hit nail on ur head with ur approach

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KingofTheFE1s

Hey folks, does anyone know how far in advance the examiners put the paper together of if it differs between the exams. Looking at some recent cases for Constitutional and trying to decide if I can leave out some of the important but really recent ones. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Hey guys, for equity and mareva injunctions - are people going into much detail for the worldwide aspect? There is a lot of case law and detail for world wide marevas in my manual but from glancing at the papers I haven't really seen it come up - seems to mostly be about requisite intent and how the court balances the rights of plaintiff and defendant. I might have missed it though! any advice is welcome

• Advertisement

lawgrad49 wrote: »

hey what is the nbn 2020 and recent video ? thanks

anyone else feeling totally overwhelmed with constitutional ?

fe1555 wrote: »
    People who have sat tort, would you say the examiner is a fair or harsh marker? Struggling with the amount to learn and unpredictability of the paper.

I would say a fair marker personally. His papers can be tricky and tend to have a shock question, but from passing the exam (surprisingly) and having the examiner as a lecturer in my masters, I would say he is a fair marker.

I would make sure you know duty of care, standard of care and causation very well as even if you have to answer a question on a specific topic you don’t know about, don’t underestimate the marks you will get from applying the basic principles.

I had to answer question on product liability which I hadn’t looked at because seemed the best to give a lash at out of the others I didn’t know. Literally never looked at the chapter, just talked about duty of care etc. and made few points I thought were common sense in the problem, 3/4 of a page and I got 8/20. Obviously still failed the question but got me over the pass mark.

Iconic10 wrote: »
    hey what is the nbn 2020 and recent video ? thanks

Hey I just did this last night go on to city colleges website and subscribe for NBNs - you just need your email. You’ll be sent the link then.

Video is very helpful at guiding you in the right direction. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

anyone else feeling totally overwhelmed with constitutional ?

Totally.. I was honestly having such bad panic attacks and couldn't sleep at all the past week just thinking about it :( I'm not this bad with any other exam just for some reason have an aversion to constitutional!

I've half resigned myself that i'll be sitting it again in October just can't wait for it to be done so I can get through the rest of the exams - really happy it's one of the first ones!

Really hope the exam goes well for everyone sitting it and hoping we get some nice pointers in Carolans lecture on Monday!!

kayleee123 wrote: »
    Totally.. I was honestly having such bad panic attacks and couldn't sleep at all the past week just thinking about it :( I'm not this bad with any other exam just for some reason have an aversion to constitutional!

I've half resigned myself that i'll be sitting it again in October just can't wait for it to be done so I can get through the rest of the exams - really happy it's one of the first ones!

Really hope the exam goes well for everyone sitting it and hoping we get some nice pointers in Carolans lecture on Monday!!

Apologies I know this was mentioned - but how do you access the lecture & what is it on?

Apologies I know this was mentioned - but how do you access the lecture & what is it on?

You can sign up here :)

https://www.ucd.ie/constitutional/events/constitutionallawseminar/

Hey I just did this last night go on to city colleges website and subscribe for NBNs - you just need your email. You’ll be sent the link then.

Video is very helpful at guiding you in the right direction. Worth a watch.

ah it’s night before notes. think i subscribed to it but didn’t get 2021 ones yet

ah it’s night before notes. think i subscribed to it but didn’t get 2021 ones yet

The 2021 ones are up - check the spam box i'd say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 flepetch

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions for Equity? Any topics the preparations courses have listed to be covered as a priority?

For me I'm doing interlocutory injunctions, mareva & Anton Pillar, tracing, specific performance, rectification, undue influence, propriety estoppel, charitable trusts, cy pres, the topics that come up in the notes questions, resulting trusts & secret trusts. If I have time: constructive trusts & trustees.

i'm covering the same i think!
    i know that the examiner's reports say that charitable trusts and cypres questions are answered badly so i will be trying to cover those well.
    also the prep course i used said to practice these Qs:
    note Q on rectification and unilateral mistake or problem Q on rectification and specific performance
    problem Q on proprietary estoppel
    express trusts (three certainties, strong v bird, DMC, construction of trusts)
    resulting trusts (quistclose or rebut presumption of advancement)
    trustees - rule in hastings bass
    essay Q on tracing

hope that helps a bit, obviously only a guide but has helped me in my revision so far

Advertisement