Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticking shelves to the walls

Options
  • 16-02-2021 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just wonder if anyone here had experience in sticking shelves to the walls in the rented accommodations and moving out without issues?

After 2 months of browsing we finally found decent apartment that we really like.

It has 2 small (sqm-wise) storage spaces with rather high ceilings .

Where we curently live we have 1 large storage room we are quite happy with. There are few shelves and hooks attached to the walls, that let us store some empty boxes(TV, PC etc), Christmas decorations, coats and jackets.

Laundry basket, Christmas tree, suitcases and cleaning appliances are all stored down on the floor.

In a new place storage rooms are rather high and narrow with no shelves or hooks whatsoever . There is no way we can manage to stuck up all our stuff one on top of another.

I asked landlord ( agency) if we can attach anything to the walls. (not that I have any idea how :)) Got an answer that it is not advised as tenants will require to return the walls in the same state they were.

So my questions are:

I don't have any experience in refurbishing. How difficult it actually is to refurbish these walls when we move out?

Does it make any sense to invest in something like this instead?

Is there any magic way to stick something to these walls without actually drilling them?

Any advise will be really appreciated as I don't want to give up on this apartment, it doesn't look we can find anything else suitable that easily.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The racking is very industrial looking. I use it in my shed.
    Can you buy an ikea shelving unit or something that will look better?

Returning the walls to standard could be simply a bit of filler, sanding and painting or else just leave the shelves in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you want to put anything with any weight on a shelf it needs to go into the wall and not on it so I can't see any options for you other than a shelf system. Even with that most advise anchoring to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

How long are you planning on staying?
    If short-term, i wouldn't bother with shelves. If 1 year plus, you'd do less damage to the wall by screwing them to the wall than trying to glue them. Just budget in the cost of painting the wall before you leave. Any half decent painter will be able to fill the holes and paint over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

antix80 wrote: »
    How long are you planning on staying?
    If short-term, i wouldn't bother with shelves. If 1 year plus, you'd do less damage to the wall by screwing them to the wall than trying to glue them. Just budget in the cost of painting the wall before you leave. Any half decent painter will be able to fill the holes and paint over them.

just note that the landlord/agency may be the one that wants to pick the painter that does the work not you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Filling is easy. A tube of hole-filler and a plastic spatula.

Painting depends on the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Try IKEA Hejne shelving. I use it in a kitchen, office and garage. It's very sturdy, very stable on its own, can be easily adjusted into multiple shelving heights and you can buy as much or as little as you like. Comes in 2 different widths and 2 different depths.

If you need to bolt it to the wall, two brackets should suffice, these can be easily fixed with a small tube of Polyfill and a small tin of paint when you move out.

Advertisement