Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Composite decking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I have put in a raised composite deck on an outdoor balcony a few months ago (2.5m above ground level so it has a galvanized steer frame, composite joists attached to that beneath the main deck itself), a lot more expensive than wood but looks better and will stand up to the Irish weather, no further treatment needed. I have composite decking with the grooves (Terrana from Brooks) that looks like the standard treated timber decking but you can spend more and go for a colored woodgrain finish (e.g. Trex from TJ O'Mahony's), depends on your budget.

As for the framing, again depends on your budget, you can either go with aluminum, composite joists or treated timber (cheapest). I am about to put down another low profile composite deck on our patio at home and I'm gong to use a treated timber frame as it's going to be covered by a veranda.

Wow some of the Trex prices are scary !
    They are longer than the "cheap" ones by 1.2m so I'd need 200 of the 25e boards from BPM or 150 of the 38e Trex ones.
    About 600e in the overall difference (5000 vs 5600ish) .
    The 4.8m ones might work out more efficient for my area.

I was thinking of building rows of 9" cavitly walls to sit the joists on,
    2 blocks high should get me in around where it needs to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wow some of the Trex prices are scary !
    They are longer than the "cheap" ones by 1.2m so I'd need 200 of the 25e boards from BPM or 150 of the 38e Trex ones.
    About 600e in the overall difference (5000 vs 5600ish) .
    The 4.8m ones might work out more efficient for my area.

I was thinking of building rows of 9" cavitly walls to sit the joists on,
    2 blocks high should get me in around where it needs to be.
    Took up a 20 Sam wooden deck last year. Left the subframe in place as it was in good condition. Put down trex on it. Expensive stuff alright be looks really good, no maintenance and it's nowhere near as slippy ss wood when damp.

The original deck had rotting handrails and deck boards so something had to be done. Probably cost around 1000 all in for the materials and bits and pieces.
    Did the work myself on it. As I said the frame was already in place and in good shape. Biggest pain was pulling up the old stuff.

Advertisement