Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Do You Transfer Ownership Of Car To Family Member?

Options
  • 16-02-2021 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Just a quick question about changing ownership of car, insurance all that. Not done is before so sounds a bit silly, but my dad has a car that he can no longer drive, and I'm on the insurance and can drive it too, but he wants to hand over the car to me permanently.

Is it the same process as selling a car? Or is their any other forms or details I need to process as well? Into my name.

Sorry, sounds dumb, but not sure if its different to change over to a family member.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just fill out your details on the back of the registration cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the same as changing it over to any new owner.

Just remember that as you will be the new registered owner of the car you will also need to insure it in your own name. It's one of the first questions an insurance company will ask.

Advertisement