Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's and the EU's position on the persecution of the Uighirs.

Options
  • 16-02-2021 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOgDTy-A7Xs

4 minutes and 30 seconds into the recording that I've linked in this OP, Robert Peston asked Simon Coveney about the persecution of the Uighir people.

I'm not dismissing the importance of trade. However, the Chinese government needs to have money coming in from the Western powers to the Chinese economy and so I don't believe that it would expel European firms from China in retaliation for criticism of the way in which it has treated the Uighirs.

David Quinn (in his column in last weekend's edition of The Sunday Times) and Declan Ganley have criticised Angela Merkel for her apparent unwillingness to take a tougher stance against the Chinese government.

China is not the only hugely-populated country with which the European Commission (EC) can do business with a view to ensuring high rates of employment in the EU.

So why are Merkel and other senior figures in the EU - at national level and in the EC - not speaking out about the persecution? Why isn't Merkel considering the 1930s and 1940s in her own country's history when she does business with the Chinese government?

Advertisement