Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to ???

Options
  • 16-02-2021 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

I'm currently in my final semester of a Law degree but I really cannot envision myself working with law in the future. I'm not sure if that's because I'm suffering from burnout, but the thought of becoming a solicitor makes me nauseous.

Therefore, I want to do a Master's and then emigrate ASAP, however, my issue is, I'm unsure of which course to choose because I have no idea which course would make me more employable in an international context. I am also incredibly open to working in any country [outside of Ireland and the UK] in any career.

At the moment, I'm trying to decide between the MSc in Data Analytics at QUB, the MSc Computer Science (Conversion) at UCD, or if I should do something like the MSc Management Information and Managerial Accounting Systems at UCC.

I have no idea if any of the aforementioned courses would be useful in an international context, and I am open to suggestions of other courses that would enhance my employment prospects.

If it is worth mentioning, I have C1 German, but if I was working in a German-speaking country, I would rather pursue a career where the majority of my work was through English because I only enjoy German recreationally.

Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

I would not pick any course based on employability, if you are horrified at the thought of working in law I would definitely make sure the masters is something you enjoy and want to work in, or you could end up in the same situation with the masters subject - it may be better to get a job (does not have to be law) and work for a few years if you are not sure what you want to do the masters in? And it may become more clear after working for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hello,

I'm currently in my final semester of a Law degree but I really cannot envision myself working with law in the future. I'm not sure if that's because I'm suffering from burnout, but the thought of becoming a solicitor makes me nauseous.

Therefore, I want to do a Master's and then emigrate ASAP, however, my issue is, I'm unsure of which course to choose because I have no idea which course would make me more employable in an international context. I am also incredibly open to working in any country [outside of Ireland and the UK] in any career.

At the moment, I'm trying to decide between the MSc in Data Analytics at QUB, the MSc Computer Science (Conversion) at UCD, or if I should do something like the MSc Management Information and Managerial Accounting Systems at UCC.

I have no idea if any of the aforementioned courses would be useful in an international context, and I am open to suggestions of other courses that would enhance my employment prospects.

If it is worth mentioning, I have C1 German, but if I was working in a German-speaking country, I would rather pursue a career where the majority of my work was through English because I only enjoy German recreationally.

Thank you so much in advance.

I did that course in UCC a few years back, I d happily chat to you about it if you like, any questions just shout
    In my class we had law graduates who have gone on to do very well in their careers, law being a great base degree,
    A lot of my classmates have gone onto positions at home and abroad,
    a few in london and america, no bother getting work,

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

If you are very interested in the software design in I would recommend checking the H.Dips in software design courses on Springboard - They are basically free (I think like a 200 euro fee) , I did one in Galway (but I think its no longer on Springboard) and everyone is employed, in software development and technical consulting roles and other IT roles mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

With your law background you could look at privacy field, becoming huge now for obvious reasons, theres a few courses like CIPP/E, CIPM etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You could do a masters abroad.
    I am in Norway and there are lots of internatiol students doing masters in english.

• Advertisement
Advertisement