Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTX 2060 Laptop

Comments

the 4800h is a lot more powerful as a cpu

you also need to do some research to find out what wattage / tdp is going to the gpu

e.g. 80w vs 115w is a fair difference in graphics output

think the 4800h version has 115w going to the 2060

5i don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think a 256GB HD is far too restricting. That would be what, 1-2 AAA games installed at once?

I think a 256GB HD is far too restricting. That would be what, 1-2 AAA games installed at once?

cheap to add another m.2 stick tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mrdata.

Thanks all. May hold off with the 3060 on the horizon.
    Bar Amazon and say Lenovo directly is there anywhere else good to buy online?
    Do you think the likes of scan.co.uk will even bother with Ireland anymore?
    Might go for a 1650ti and ps5 route aswell.
    Is there any good deals on 1650 laptops out there?
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Thanks all. May hold off with the 3060 on the horizon.
    Bar Amazon and say Lenovo directly is there anywhere else good to buy online?
    Do you think the likes of scan.co.uk will even bother with Ireland anymore?
    Might go for a 1650ti and ps5 route aswell.
    Is there any good deals on 1650 laptops out there?
    Thanks again

Chatting with a guy from Scan today he said he thought they'd have Ireland sorted by mid-March - but who knows.

I just bought an MSI 1660Ti (full spec below) for €1300 from Laptops Direct and on the day of delivery (today!) they emailed me to say they were out of stock and cancelled my order. Gutted. Now in the same boat as you - going to wait for the 3060s.

If you're ok with the Ryzen chips, there are some good Asus machines out there for around £900.

MSI Stealth 15M A11SDK-015UK Core i7-1185G7 16GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch GeForce GTX 1660Ti Windows 10 Gaming Laptop

Would laptopsdirect.ie be ok after Brexit or be hit with double vat? I tried to contact them a few days ago but heard nothing.
    I'd guess box.co.uk is out aswell.
    Does anyone use any German website for laptops or would it just be awkward with keyboard layouts and returns etc?

laptopsdirect.ie are sellling in euro on an .ie domain so won't have problems afaik

box haven't bothered being Brexit compliant for sales to Ireland and won't ship to Ireland currently

unless otherwise specified you will get a foreign keyboard layout ordering from Germany, Spain etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

glasso wrote: »
    laptopsdirect.ie are sellling in euro on an .ie domain so won't have problems afaik

box haven't bothered being Brexit compliant for sales to Ireland and won't ship to Ireland currently

unless otherwise specified you will get a foreign keyboard layout ordering from Germany, Spain etc
    You’d need a plug adapter too, major PITA over the lifetime of a laptop

Akrasia wrote: »
    You’d need a plug adapter too, major PITA over the lifetime of a laptop

that's easily sorted for the vast majority of power bricks - just swap the plug to brick c5 part with an old one lying around or the cost of a fiver to pick one up

c5uk.jpg?width=400

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    that's easily sorted for the vast majority of power bricks - just swap the plug to brick c5 part with an old one lying around or the cost of a fiver to pick one up

c5uk.jpg?width=400

That doesn't always work - I tried that with the Asus machine I have and it wouldn't work. I had two two-part chargers - the one that came with the laptop, and a second one I bought. Each 'set' worked fine, but not when I interchanged the cables.

AnthonyB wrote: »
    That doesn't always work - I tried that with the Asus machine I have and it wouldn't work. I had two two-part chargers - the one that came with the laptop, and a second one I bought. Each 'set' worked fine, but not when I interchanged the cables.

I've never had a problem swapping them

it's possible but should not be an issue as it's a standardised connector

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm wary of dealing with laptopsdirect.ie. Have 70 sterling of an amazon.co.uk voucher but Amazon seem to charge that much of a markup anyway.
    Could prob live with the charger issue if went down EU route not sure about keyboard. That dave2d seemed to have a good opinion about the xmg/tongfang laptop. Anyone any experience with them?

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm wary of dealing with laptopsdirect.ie. Have 70 sterling of an amazon.co.uk voucher but Amazon seem to charge that much of a markup anyway.
    Could prob live with the charger issue if went down EU route not sure about keyboard. That dave2d seemed to have a good opinion about the xmg/tongfang laptop. Anyone any experience with them?

they are well rated on reddit etc

never heard of anyone on boards with one

there are also other suppliers not just xmg

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/comments/himoym/all_of_the_vendors_that_are_offering_the_tongfang/

check them all to find your spec

should offer UK keyboard layout with some of them

Amazon is weird on laptops. Their search / sort functions don't actually work properly, it seems to me, or maybe they're just applying algorithms to force me in a particular direction. I find best success when doing a free search for a specific laptop. Also, when a laptop appears, sometimes you can click on options (like switching from RTX to a GTX graphics) which can have massive impacts on price. Last thing on these guys, their prices change - often. And the price to you might not be the same price to me (they have 'first order' offers, all sorts of weird stuff going on).

Net net - you can get a good deal on Amazon, but you need to work it.

Thanks all. Pulled the trigger on an Xmg core 17.
    They have 150 euro off voucher code for the amd/rtx combo today.
    Got a 17" 4800h, Rtx 2060, 16 gig ram and 500 ssd for 1100 which seemed decent to me.

Cant seem to add the link in post as it has https instead of http?

Anyway if anyone is interest I ordered from here:
    bestware.com/en/96-hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anyway if anyone is interest I ordered from here:
    bestware.com/en/96-hours

Thanks. Been about to pull the trigger on an RTX 2060 laptop myself and looking at refurbed Dell G3/G5s, but they get snapped up quick. This looks better.

https://bestware.com/en/96-hours

Advertisement