Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Castletroy - still not opened

• 16-02-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Lidl Castletroy was due to open Feb-11 but remains closed. According to Customer services there has been a delay in renovations which have been ongoing for a few months and the shop was closed for the last few weeks presumably to finish the works in the absence of customers. They also do not know when it will reopen which is kind of strange. I understand that under Level 5 building restrictions some works have been suspended but once underway were allowed continue to completion.
    Just wondering what the delay might be and if there are any issues, for example, with the contractor or regulations. Its not like Lidl not to complete more or less on time and have stores reopen as per plan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Lidl Castletroy was due to open Feb-11 but remains closed. According to Customer services there has been a delay in renovations which have been ongoing for a few months and the shop was closed for the last few weeks presumably to finish the works in the absence of customers. They also do not know when it will reopen which is kind of strange. I understand that under Level 5 building restrictions some works have been suspended but once underway were allowed continue to completion.
    Just wondering what the delay might be and if there are any issues, for example, with the contractor or regulations. Its not like Lidl not to complete more or less on time and have stores reopen as per plan.

This was only the case for houses that could be completed by 31st January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Corbally Lidl constuction has stopped also.

Once the restrictions came in it seemed they had a day or two to secure the site, but nobody on it since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

I live in castletroy and got a flyer in the post for 10 off 50 vouchers to be used until the end of Feb in Childers road or Ennis road so unlikely to be open until March at earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Read the level 5 restrictions properly and you will find a very simple answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I understand that under Level 5 building restrictions some works have been suspended but once underway were allowed continue to completion.

Unless construction for retail is called out differently in the restriction guidelines than for other construction sites I think you're incorrect here, I've seen a good number of construction sites closed under the current restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Under level 5 restrictions building sites related to essential services are allowed to continue as normal, my guess is that either Lidl or the builders are taking an overcautious approach

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Under level 5 restrictions building sites related to essential services are allowed to continue as normal, my guess is that either Lidl or the builders are taking an overcautious approach
    They're not. Only social housing that was nearly finished and strategic projects like hospitals, factories and roads have been allowed to continue. Shop fit outs don't fall into those categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They're not. Only social housing that was nearly finished and strategic projects like hospitals, factories and roads have been allowed to continue. Shop fit outs don't fall into those categories.

Shops are essential so building works related to them are allowed, there's many an Irish Water, ESB and Eircom building sites still operational

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Shops are essential so building works related to them are allowed, there's many an Irish Water, ESB and Eircom building sites still operational
    No, building work is not allowed on shops. The exemptions have nothing to do with essential services. Specific projects and services are allowed to continue. Shop building/fit outs is not one of the exemptions.

Here's the list
    - essential health and related projects including those relevant to preventing, limiting, minimising or slowing the spread of Covid-19
    - A limited number of social housing projects, including voids, designated as essential sites by local authorities based on set criteria (projects due to be completed in the next six to eight weeks)
    - housing adaptation grants where the homeowner is agreeable to adaptions being undertaken in their home
    - repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure
    - education facilities sites designated as essential by Department of Education
    - supply and delivery of essential or emergency maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, plumbing, glazing and roofing services) on an emergency call-out basis

- certain large construction projects in the exporting/FDI sector based on set criteria.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-list-of-exemptions-from-construction-industry-shutdown-announced-1.4451825

Advertisement