Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old boot SSD not recognized on new build

Options
  • 16-02-2021 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    So have moved from intel over to AMD. Bought a new 1TB NVME to go with the whole thing and installed Windows onto that and everything is hunky dory there.

I just assumed I could plug in my old drives and it'd be all good but not to be the case. My two old HDDs are coming up but the old 240GB sata boot drive SSD isn't. I'm guessing it has something to do with windows being on that drive (I didn't wipe it) and it only works if it's the boot drive??

Anyway I can get the new build to recognise it and copy over the relevant data or will I have to put the old build back in the case and copy everything to another drive which I then copy to new build? Really don't want to have to pull out the new build and put in the old one again

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Open the disk management tool, and check to see if the Disk is appearing on the list. If it is it might not be assigned a drive letter, you can do that by right clicking on the respective Disk section on the bottom half of the app.

The other thing is that if your drive is plugged into sata 5 or 6, some AMD boards disable those ports when an NVME drive is installed.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

dazberry wrote: »
    Open the disk management tool, and check to see if the Disk is appearing on the list. If it is it might not be assigned a drive letter, you can do that by right clicking on the respective Disk section on the bottom half of the app.

The other thing is that if your drive is plugged into sata 5 or 6, some AMD boards disable those ports when an NVME drive is installed.

HTH

You're a gem mate, 5th and 6th sata slots were disabled. Hadn't tried the other ones because it's so inconvenient to reach in at em. Thanks!

Advertisement