Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avantcard are dropping the Tesco Clubcard points

• 16-02-2021 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I guess it was inevitable, they kept them for a while after taking over the Tesco credit card business but its gone from end of March :
    Rewards programme
    From the 31st March 2021, you will no longer receive Tesco Clubcard points using your Avantcard credit card. You will continue to earn points using your Tesco Clubcard in line with Tesco’s Terms and Conditions. Rest assured as a Tesco Clubcard holder you will still continue to earn points when shopping in-store or online, in line with Tesco’s terms and conditions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Corbally76

DriveSkill wrote: »
    I guess it was inevitable, they kept them for a while after taking over the Tesco credit card business but its gone from end of March :

I didn't get any notification yet that were withdrawing this benefit. I assume we can switch over to Avantcard's rewards + card and get the 1.25% cashback instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Corbally76 wrote: »
    I didn't get any notification yet that were withdrawing this benefit. I assume we can switch over to Avantcard's rewards + card and get the 1.25% cashback instead?

Got the mail also

That 1.25% cashback does look the best other card on the market. They probably will make us jump through hoops to arrange. Close one and do forms to open the other probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

Cashback limited to certain expenditure...

Cashback rewards of 1.25% are paid on shopping and entertainment spend, including online, that’s your shopping for groceries, in department stores, clothes & shoe shops, chemists, hardware, electrical, petrol stations, restaurants, concert tickets and public houses.

Any spend on travel, gambling or services aren’t covered by Cashback; holidays, car hire, public transport, flights, hotels, online betting, book makers, healthcare, electricity, water and gas charges.

All merchants choose how their business is classified for spend on credit cards; if they classify their business as travel or services we do not include them for Cashback rewards, for example a restaurant in a hotel, which is classified as accommodation, will not be eligible for rewards.

Cashback rewards will be credited to your account on your monthly statement. The maximum Cashback reward is €12 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Gonna jump ship from them, the lack of an App and Apple Pay is a bit strange these days, gonna go to a bank that have these options at least. Tesco points was the only thing keeping me with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

van_beano wrote: »
    Gonna jump ship from them, the lack of an App and Apple Pay is a bit strange these days, gonna go to a bank that have these options at least. Tesco points was the only thing keeping me with them.

Same here only reason I was with them was for the Tesco points as perk which worked well enough for me. We got 2 "free" ferry trips to the UK using the Clubcard boost option which was handy and that was mainly from using the card as I dont really shop in Tesco.

• Advertisement

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Same here only reason I was with them was for the Tesco points as perk which worked well enough for me. We got 2 "free" ferry trips to the UK using the Clubcard boost option which was handy and that was mainly from using the card as I dont really shop in Tesco.

It's been paying for my Bord Gais electricity and gas for years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

I rang them yesterday to cancel the card. They gave me an option to switch to rewards card + €30 credit. no changes to the card or online log in details. i happily went for it.

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    I rang them yesterday to cancel the card. They gave me an option to switch to rewards card + €30 credit. no changes to the card or online log in details. i happily went for it.

Sure you can cancel anyways once you get the €30 :cool: unless there's something in the T&C's

Sure you can cancel anyways once you get the €30 :cool: unless there's something in the T&C's

yes but i want to keep the credit card and seems there is no much choice in the market. Avant reward cards appeared to be best among the choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

I rang to switch over but the lady made the point that the €30 credit was only for new accounts, not switchers

Should have told them I wanted to cancel as per jusvi2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

homer911 wrote: »
    I rang to switch over but the lady made the point that the €30 credit was only for new accounts, not switchers

Yeah, I rang to cancel. Was transferred to customer loyalty. Simply said the tesco points were the only reason I was there. They dangled the 1.25% and I said that wouldnt cover the stamp duty then they offered to cover it

However you have to ring back in 2 months when they charge it for a refund.. seems a palaver but theres some data protection reason for that apparently (with the added benefit that 50% of people will forget probably)

homer911 wrote: »

yes you should have told them that you are going to cancel the card. you can still do it. i am sure they will offer you €30 to keep the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭feargantae

Not 100% sure but Sign up for Curve and add your Avanrcard to your Curve wallet. The Curve card can then be added to Apple Pay! I'm pretty sure it can anyway as it can be added to Google Pay. Works great with my mastercard cc

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I recently phoned to cancel and was put through to loyalty dept. Mentioned Tesco points offered the the €30 plus 1.25% cash back.

Oh, forgot to say fair play to feargantae, the Curve card works for Apple Pay with Avant card. Didn’t need to move after all.

Still don’t understand why Avant can’t implement an e-wallet and app solution. Anyways, Curve will work for anyone wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I was applying to avant card for a card. I found it less straightforward than a bank.

Advertisement