Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up kitchen tiles

Options
  • 16-02-2021 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We need to remove kitchen tiles to run wires to our new island. Any suggestions of easiest way to achieve this, and possible cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Depends on what you are planning. Do you want to keep the existing tiles? Do you have replacements for any breakages? If you are having all new tiles laid, you could lift the old tiles yourself. Sometimes they come up easy. New tile cost will depend on what you choose and area to be tiled.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Would be a straightforward enough job. Getting the first tile might be the most difficult, not that it should be overly taxing either. You should be able to pry the rest of them up easily enough from there. The toughest work would likely be in moving the appliances and kitchen units. Depending on the tile it's unlikely that all or even any of them will come up intact - they shouldn't really if they were laid properly in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Did this many years ago with a wide chisel and hammer. Small taps and they came up easy. Hard part was chipping away the left over grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

i used a 2" chisel and hammer along with safety goggles especially if there porcelain,

i suggest fitting a 1" plastic hose from under one of the kitchen units to your island,
    such as a garden pond hose,i bought mine from a garden shop online in portlaoise,

ideal for running cables in the future, if you decided to run LAN RJ45 for example to a pop up socket in the centre island,
    easily pass it through the pipe,
    ive got a 1.5" garden pipe under my kitchen floor containing satellite cables and network cables from the attic to a main unit in the living room,

posqjXidj

pmdd4J1zj

pnXlqAPDj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

KennedyP wrote: »
    We need to remove kitchen tiles to run wires to our new island. Any suggestions of easiest way to achieve this, and possible cost?

Have you done it yet?

We did a job recently where we cut a small channel for the services
    and put in a strip light to cover the renovations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One of the he first tile is up I used a shovel to get underneath and the rest came up with ease

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

So are you cutting a channel in floor slab to put wires in ? Are you replacing all floor tiles ?

Advertisement