Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norma Foley has to go [MOD WARNING IN 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

MadYaker wrote: »
    Not wrong though.
    Incorrect, poster is completely wrong, statements like that are why teachers are despised the length and breadth of the country.

As a poster already alluded to, I know countless people with PHD's earning pennies after spending a fortune on fees and much longer in education than teachers.

Teachers seem to think for some mystifying reason, that they are the only ones who attend college, perhaps do a Masters (very few of my teacher friends actually needed to go down this route to get a full time job). I would say a large percentage of people in other roles undertake diplomas/masters etc, guts of 15 days CPD per year (that we don't get extra time back off for like our precious teacher friend above), and countless renewal/upgrades of their qualifications/training courses etc every year. I know this is especially true in the likes of the construction industry where I've spent the guts of 8yrs working in previously and I can count on one hand people I'd know who would be on over 50k, despite them having over 10yrs experience.

In simpler terms, effectively what I'm saying is that I'd safely say a hell of a lot more professions have greater qualifications and skills than teachers but the permanent 50k jobs simply just aren't out there, so the poster is talking complete and utter bull**** from his/her ivory tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Has there ever been a minister who has been repeatedly making a bags of this and lasted this long?

I think Mehole leaving the borders open over Christmas, leading to a situation whereby 80% plus of our Covid cases originate from those imported over Christmas from London, which has casr us billions further in debt and raised talk of forms of lockdown extending all the way to September......

Yes, I think that slightly outweighs Foley and her brief.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

hamburgham wrote: »
    Yes, why not.

The vulnerable children and their families who are suffering because schools are closed will be relieved when they reopen. You know, the ones the Children’s Ombudsman has expressed serious concern over, who are severely distressed, suicidal etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0213/1196928-childrens-ombusman/

Or do these vulnerable children not suit your narrative?

Many of the most vulnerable children won’t come back to in- person face to face learning. Schools have constantly taken up the slack where outside agencies like AsIAm, DS Ireland ( both screaming for schools to reopen) NEPS , TUSLA have done nothing to provide any of the services that should .
    School staff have ensured food parcels get to DEIS students , have called to front doors to drop off books and printed out work packs for thousands of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Incorrect, poster is completely wrong, statements like that are why teachers are despised the length and breadth of the country.

As a poster already alluded to, I know countless people with PHD's earning pennies after spending a fortune on fees and much longer in education than teachers.

Teachers seem to think for some mystifying reason, that they are the only ones who attend college, perhaps do a Masters (very few of my teacher friends actually needed to go down this route to get a full time job). I would say a large percentage of people in other roles undertake diplomas/masters etc, guts of 15 days CPD per year (that we don't get extra time back off for like our precious teacher friend above), and countless renewal/upgrades of their qualifications/training courses etc every year. I know this is especially true in the likes of the construction industry where I've spent the guts of 8yrs working in previously and I can count on one hand people I'd know who would be on over 50k, despite them having over 10yrs experience.

In simpler terms, effectively what I'm saying is that I'd safely say a hell of a lot more professions have greater qualifications and skills than teachers but the permanent 50k jobs simply just aren't out there, so the poster is talking complete and utter bull**** from his/her ivory tower.

Lot of misplaced anger and aggression in that post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Just popping in here to say, anyone who thinks teaching is a handy number with great wages, holidays, etc., go do it. Become a teacher. What's stopping you?

And yes, Norma should go. Anyone in the mood for a cabinet reshuffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Another example, if we needed any of why gender quotas don't work.

Best person for the job. Always. No matter their sex.

Totofan99 wrote: »
    Just popping in here to say, anyone who thinks teaching is a handy number with great wages, holidays, etc., go do it. Become a teacher. What's stopping you?

4 years of no income would be my guess for most people over a certain age.

The teaching unions take the absolute mick. Pull the other one like, how many people under the age of 60 are actually afraid of Covid? None, because of the minimal chances of you getting a particularly bad hit of it. Yet 35 year old teachers somehow treat it like Ebola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

The teaching unions take the absolute mick. Pull the other one like, how many people under the age of 60 are actually afraid of Covid?
    Yet 35 year old teachers somehow treat it like Ebola.

Such a dangerous opinion, and exactly why we are still in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

She is a first time TD and was catapulted into a ministerial position purely to make up gender quota figures.

There's also a long standing personal friendship there with Micheal Martin that got her the job, from what the Tralee in-laws have said. They're not surprised by the performance, when she got the job I was told that County Council was a little above her level.

• Advertisement

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Such a dangerous opinion, and exactly why we are still in lockdown.

If teachers were on 350 per week they would be demanding the schools re open. Same as 99% of construction workers, bar managers, hairdressers currently are demanding.

Seriously. How many hairdressers do you see in the media getting their representative union to ensure the government keeps salons closed because they are too scared to return to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The absolute arrogance of this, wow.

Yes and it’s primary school teaching not astrophysics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

PARlance wrote: »
    There's also a long standing personal friendship there with Micheal Martin that got her the job, from what the Tralee in-laws have said. They're not surprised by the performance, when she got the job I was told that County Council was a little above her level.

It was a dangerous move, her inexperience is showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The simple fact of the matter is that FF don’t have strong capable politicians at any rank of the organisation capable of leading a government department.

They got elected on their name not their ability in the last election.

Lot of misplaced anger and aggression in that post.

None so blind as those who will not see. People have just randomly started to despise teachers, have they?
    There is no way back for teachers’ reputations after this.

Incidentally, I see a senior rep of the GP’s body is calling for schools to reopen as a matter of urgency. (Letter IT) A doctor calling for schools to reopen immediately but teachers know better, apparently it isn’t’ ‘safe’.

4 years of no income would be my guess for most people over a certain age.

The teaching unions take the absolute mick. Pull the other one like, how many people under the age of 60 are actually afraid of Covid? None, because of the minimal chances of you getting a particularly bad hit of it. Yet 35 year old teachers somehow treat it like Ebola.

The union has stood up for teachers being forced back into work without the provision of PPE, different rules in the classroom relating to close contacts, no power to refuse entry for sick suspected covid children.

It’s always people who are not union members that complain when an organisations stabds up for others rights. Just because people are not union members and get the short end of the stick in their job doesn’t mean everyone else has to accept it.

Far from being perfect the teachers unions are completely necessary because without them the government would have sent back the schools at the height of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

None so blind as those who will not see. People have just randomly started to despise teachers, have they?
    There is no way back for teachers’ reputations after this.

Incidentally, I see a senior rep of the GP’s body is calling for schools to reopen as a matter of urgency. (Letter IT) A doctor calling for schools to reopen immediately but teachers know better, apparently it isn’t’ ‘safe’.

Norma foley in an impossible position.
    Damned no matter what she does.

No one here has a solution.
    There is none.just a list of bad options.
    If teachers were placed on the pup like normal people who lost they're jobs you'd see a completely different attitude from the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Suckler

richie123 wrote: »
    If teachers were placed on the pup like normal people who lost they're jobs you'd see a completely different attitude from the unions.

100% agree.

The union has stood up for teachers being forced back into work without the provision of PPE, different rules in the classroom relating to close contacts, no power to refuse entry for sick suspected covid children.

It’s always people who are not union members that complain when an organisations stabds up for others rights. Just because people are not union members and get the short end of the stick in their job doesn’t mean everyone else has to accept it.

Far from being perfect the teachers unions are completely necessary because without them the government would have sent back the schools at the height of numbers.

Isn’t it gas how teachers were the one group actively campaigning NOT to go back to work.

You know what, nobody was remotely surprised. That’s how low our expectations are.

Isn’t it gas how teachers were the one group actively campaigning NOT to go back to work.

You know what, nobody was remotely surprised. That’s how low our expectations are.

If the meat factories were unionised do you think they wouldn’t be? We would be a lot better off if many more workplaces had employee representation standing up for the health and welfare of workers, and covid has highlighted this.

Teachers were campaigning to return to work safely, with precautions in place and case numbers at a lower level, not what your incorrectly saying “Not to go back”

It takes a special someone to have disgust at an organisation for doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭dubrov

The unions say "Jump" and Norma says "How high?".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

She's looked incompetent no doubt but up against the power of the unions she's got no chance. The unions run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

So.. how is everyone’s mid term going?

You now, the one that my sons school told us to enjoy, the week that is no different to the previous 51 weeks other than my sons teacher Doesn’t have to upload anything to jigsaw.. bless

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭munster87

Norma should never have received a ministerial position after only being a TD for a few months. Especially during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

(very few of my teacher friends actually needed to go down this route to get a full time job)
    Have you told your teacher friends how much you despise them? Or do you only talk to them with your other face?

It's hard to take the opinion of someone so bitter and angry seriously. Rather than despised, most non bitter people appreciate the work that their teachers do.

If the meat factories were unionised do you think they wouldn’t be? We would be a lot better off if many more workplaces had employee representation standing up for the health and welfare of workers, and covid has highlighted

You’re missing something. If the meat workers weren’t going back to work, they wouldn’t be on full pay. PUP like everyone else.

Have you told your teacher friends how much you despise them? Or do you only talk to them with your other face?

It's hard to take the opinion of someone so bitter and angry seriously. Rather than despised, most non bitter people appreciate the work that their teachers do.

Nothing to indicate that poster is bitter or angry. Just contemptuous like the rest of us.

Parents want their kids back at school.

All of them? Really? Many of the parents I know don't want to send their kids back to school in the height of a pandemic.

You know the type. The typess that are not covid deniers and who actually care for their loved ones and don't want them to get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The absolute arrogance of this, wow.

I’m not a teacher, but what I said is correct.

Yes there’ll be people with PhDs or in other roles earning less with similar qualifications, that doesn’t change the fact that €52K is a very attainable salary for anyone with a degree and 10+ years experience.

And I mean a proper degree not a ****ty BA like I did.

Not only that but €52K a year for the work that teachers do is good value, look at the US where teacher salaries are set locally and are completely underfunded and the result of that (though the US education system has far more wrong with it that just teacher salaries).

• Advertisement

Nothing to indicate that poster is bitter or angry. Just contemptuous like the rest of us.

I'm not going to get in to linguistic gymnastics with you, but when someone says they "despise" a group of people, I think of something different to "contemptuous".

Advertisement