Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaying AVC's, some not covered by Tax Relief

• 16-02-2021 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Company I work for has a pension scheme in place for which they first make a contribution on our behalf of 6% salary and then allow us to make additional contributions (AVC's) up to 9%, for which they match.

I'm thirty now, but only just realised that as I have been making a AVC of 6%, this puts the total pension contribution of 18%, which is 3% over the Tax relief limit for someone in their twenties (Tax relief limit is 15%).

I'm currently looking into submitting tax returns to get money back on medical expenses and wondering if I should be looking to make this right, or I'm not 100% if I need to do anything with respect to the tax on the additional contributions.

Question on how this works:
    1. Tax relief seems to be applied at source by employer, is onus on employer to do the calculations so I pay tax on the 3% as part of monthly salary i.e. for them not to grant me tax relief?
    2. When filing a tax return should I be declaring this 3% (in some way) as needing tax to be paid on? Or will this automatically get calculated by Revenue, in that they'll recognise that in 2017 I claimed tax relief on pensions of 18% and not the allowed 15% and they will subtract what is owed from the claims for medical receipts?

Comments

Advertisement