Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 16-02-2021 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m currently dealing with an issue with my neighbours kids using our garden wall as a football net.
    They kick the ball at full force on a daily basis and it often hits my windows and gable of the house. It’s like a bomb going off. They trespass to get the balls back and it starts all over for hours and hours.

I’ve done the usual move them on talk to the parents etc nothing works.
    Has anyone on here been through this and came out the other end that could offer some tips on solving this problem?
    I’m aware that children need to play somewhere and it may sound minor to some but it’s one of those things you need to experience to know how much it can affect you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dangee4050

Very helpful reply much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

what was the solution offered?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

Dangee4050 wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m currently dealing with an issue with my neighbours kids using our garden wall as a football net.
    They kick the ball at full force on a daily basis and it often hits my windows and gable of the house. It’s like a bomb going off. They trespass to get the balls back and it starts all over for hours and hours.

Has anyone on here been through this and came out the other end that could offer some tips on solving this problem?
    I’m aware that children need to play somewhere and it may sound minor to some but it’s one of those things you need to experience to know how much it can affect you.

If it really bothers you, I would focus on the window aspect. No one will take you seriously if you are complaining about the ball hitting your wall or the kids trespassing to get the ball back.

Next time they are there I would just suggest going out and asking them to move over to the next garden as the loud noise is giving you a fright.

If that doesn't work maybe tell the parents that it is damaging your window (knocking it loose) and you don't want them to end up having to pay for something like that to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I totally understand and sympathise, having been in much the same situation.

I once managed to grab the ball before the invasion and that helped. Told them they needed to ask before coming into my garden.

If they are damaging plants tell the parents that. If it goes on, maybe talk to Citizens Info as they are very resourceful on a wide number of these matters. And you are far from the first!
    Could you make the garden wall higher? Or top it...protectively...

DubLad69 wrote: »
    If it really bothers you, I would focus on the window aspect. No one will take you seriously if you are complaining about the ball hitting your wall or the kids trespassing to get the ball back.

Next time they are there I would just suggest going out and asking them to move over to the next garden as the loud noise is giving you a fright.

If that doesn't work maybe tell the parents that it is damaging your window (knocking it loose) and you don't want them to end up having to pay for something like that to be fixed.
    Thanks for the reply Dublad69.
    I’ll try that approach It worked before to stop the sliotars and golf balls coming in.
    you’re right about people not taking it seriously about the wall as it does sound like a non issue. Problem is they are so bad with a football they can’t help themselves from hitting my windows. I’m starting to think my only solution is to move house.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    I totally understand and sympathise, having been in much the same situation.

I once managed to grab the ball before the invasion and that helped. Told them they needed to ask before coming into my garden.

If they are damaging plants tell the parents that. If it goes on, maybe talk to Citizens Info as they are very resourceful on a wide number of these matters. And you are far from the first!
    Could you make the garden wall higher? Or top it...protectively...
    Did you manage to come out the other end without a mental breakdown?
    I feel like it’s driving me crazy.
    Are you still dealing with this? I’m going to end up throwing the balls in the bin at this stage no ball no play.
    They haven’t damaged plants as I’ve avoided planting because I don’t want the extra stress of worrying about them being tramped on.
    My walls already over 2 metres high.I think that’s the maximum height?

Did you manage to come out the other end without a mental breakdown?
    I feel like it’s driving me crazy.
    Are you still dealing with this? I’m going to end up throwing the balls in the bin at this stage no ball no play.
    They haven’t damaged plants as I’ve avoided planting because I don’t want the extra stress of worrying about them being tramped on.
    My walls already over 2 metres high.I think that’s the maximum height?

This was in the UK long long ago but the memory lingers.

And yes, bin them.

I now live in splendid isolation. Worst noise now is the gales! Oh there was an issue re a barking dog all night but I sorted that. One mention of the Gardaí and animal cruelty..

And you should not have to organise your life around this.
    Try Citizens Info? Noise nuisance is a very real and very common thing and there are resources and rules. You are not alone! Far from it.

OP; any further forward? Can you top the wall with eg netting or barbed wire? And lock the gate and do the same with that. And yes, confiscate any balls and tell them why; they need to find somewhere else to play. Make it hard for them and they will. Also re covid they should not be anywhere near you!

I’m planning to plant thorny hedges all along my garden so should stop them coming in.
    I’m confiscating balls from now on. I think your right if I make it hard for them they should hopefully stop at some stage .
    I’m sick of telling them to move for them to not listen.

I have spoken to my community Garda and he said that they would come out and speak with them if need be. I do not want to have to go to that extreme but I suppose it helps my sanity knowing I can.

I’m dam near close to a breakdown life is hard enough with this covid craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m planning to plant thorny hedges all along my garden so should stop them coming in.
    I’m confiscating balls from now on. I think your right if I make it hard for them they should hopefully stop at some stage .

I have spoken to my community Garda and he said that they would come out and speak with them if need be. I do not want to have to go to that extreme but I suppose it helps my sanity knowing I can.

They are kids playing ball man, don’t keep their footballs. Remember, your wall is also their wall. Have a chat with parents and see if you can come to some arrangement on netting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

My neighbor used to puncture the balls when they went onto his garden lol. Don't be the local weirdo like him. Just go out to the wall when they are playing and mope around. They won't hit it then. Buy some cheap flowers that would easily break if a Ball hit them, then say watch my flowers lads, when they break let them know its not cool and replant new ones.

Dav010 wrote: »
    They are kids playing ball man, don’t keep their footballs. Remember, your wall is also their wall. Have a chat with parents and see if you can come to some arrangement on netting.

He has alreqdy tried all that with no result and no cooperation.

The wall is not the problem - it is the wall being totally disrespected and ignored and his property being disrespected. he cannot even plant his garden as the kids are trespassing so often.

And windows in danger of being broken.

Having been in a similar situation I can appreciate the situation and the potential for damage as well as the stress

The kids should not be trespassing; we were taught to knock at the door and ask if a ball went onto someone else's garden.

Great and well done. And yes re having the official back up. Oh someone suggested putting something ??sharp?? atop the wall.

Keeping the balls that came in solved it for me. And telling them why Keep the balls safe of course. They wiil find somewhere else to play

You tried asking them; so fair to increase tactics now.

Look after yourself in whatever way you need to. pm me if you need to? I have been there with this.

He has alreqdy tried all that with no result and no cooperation.

The wall is not the problem - it is the wall being totally disrespected and ignored and his property being disrespected. he cannot even plant his garden as the kids are trespassing so often.

And windows in danger of being broken.

Having been in a similar situation I can appreciate the situation and the potential for damage as well as the stress

The kids should not be trespassing; we were taught to knock at the door and ask if a ball went onto someone else's garden.
    OP; any further forward? Can you top the wall with eg netting or barbed wire? And lock the gate and do the same with that. And yes, confiscate any balls and tell them why; they need to find somewhere else to play. Make it hard for them and they will. Also re covid they should not be anywhere near you!

A couple of points:

• They are kids playing in their property, they don’t need to find somewhere else to play.

• Confiscating their footballs is likely to escalate problems with both kids, their parents and neighbours.

• They are briefly going in to retrieve a ball, you have to be pretty paranoid to consider that a Covid risk.

• Nothing screams drug dealer or psycho like barb wire topped walls in an urban house.

This isn’t about respect, it’s about kids bored because they have nothing to do, kicking a ball off a wall in their garden. Jeez we all did it. It’s annoying yes, but is it worth the inevitable damage to relations that your recommendations would result in? Thank God we don’t have America’s right to gun ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Is your primary issue the noise or the chance of someone breaking your window? If it’s just a case you don’t like it, unfortunately it is par course of urban living. We have lost a few roof tiles to a Hockey ball. If the issue is the window being broken, I would let the parents know that if it did happen you will be expecting them to cough up the repair cost or you will escalate it to the guards. I’m presuming they are kicking the ball from a public street so they are entitled to be there. Kicking the wall is a different story but as one poster pointed out you will become that neighbour if you refuse to give the balls back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winegum1

How about getting the neighbours to buy an actual goal post. At least it won't be physically hitting off of the wall then.
    You now the kids 6 foot ones you can move around. It might entice them to move playing somewhere else then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

...Oh someone suggested putting something ??sharp?? atop the wall.
    .. .
    That someone was you Graces...
    OP I'm sure it's very annoying, especially when the ball hits the window but please don't put anything sharp on the wall. Especially if it's a shared wall and I'm sure they are not deliberately aiming at your window.
    I'd suggest speaking to the parents again and like another poster said, suggest they buy a goalpost. Do your planting and tell them you don't want them getting scratched on thorns so in future if the ball goes into yours, you will throw it back over when you get a chance, but they are not to come in to the garden. Take your time giving it back.
    They may ignore you and then you might have to get tougher but it's worth another try to solve it amicably.
    My sister in law once bribed her neighbours kids to stay off her lawn.. She used to drop a bag of sweets into them at weekends if they managed to stay out of her garden for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

the_syco wrote: »

There are insurance issues with that paint, we use it in our development. You need to erect signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to control what you can control, and learn to live with what you cannot.

Visit your GP and get referred for some assistance in managing your reaction to this.

• Advertisement

A couple of points:

• They are kids playing in their property, they don’t need to find somewhere else to play.

• Confiscating their footballs is likely to escalate problems with both kids, their parents and neighbours.

• They are briefly going in to retrieve a ball, you have to be pretty paranoid to consider that a Covid risk.

• Nothing screams drug dealer or psycho like barb wire topped walls in an urban house.

This isn’t about respect, it’s about kids bored because they have nothing to do, kicking a ball off a wall in their garden. Jeez we all did it. It’s annoying yes, but is it worth the inevitable damage to relations that your recommendations would result in? Thank God we don’t have America’s right to gun ownership.

Disagree with most of your post as you are not seeing that this is more than " Annoying" Having been in that situation myself I can fully empathise.

Your last sentence ! The OP has shown no aggression He is seeking constructive advice on this not criticism .

Winegum1 wrote: »
    How about getting the neighbours to buy an actual goal post. At least it won't be physically hitting off of the wall then.
    You now the kids 6 foot ones you can move around. It might entice them to move playing somewhere else then

Perfect!

fineso.mom wrote: »
    That someone was you Graces...
    OP I'm sure it's very annoying, especially when the ball hits the window but please don't put anything sharp on the wall. Especially if it's a shared wall and I'm sure they are not deliberately aiming at your window.
    I'd suggest speaking to the parents again and like another poster said, suggest they buy a goalpost. Do your planting and tell them you don't want them getting scratched on thorns so in future if the ball goes into yours, you will throw it back over when you get a chance, but they are not to come in to the garden. Take your time giving it back.
    They may ignore you and then you might have to get tougher but it's worth another try to solve it amicably.
    My sister in law once bribed her neighbours kids to stay off her lawn.. She used to drop a bag of sweets into them at weekends if they managed to stay out of her garden for the week.

It was actually someone very experienced in these matters I asked for advice.

And it is very wise advice. l the OP has tried asking to no avail. And he has tried all amicable ways, He has every right to protect his property.

Oh there is a thread over on Personal Issues on all this!

A couple of points:

It is very much about respect when they are risking breaking a window and causing a considerable nuisance to a neighbour. And when they have been asked to ,and simply carry on coming in to retrieve balls.
    No manners.

Surely they can manage to keep the ball on their side given the wall is 2 metres!

Surely they have a wall at the other side of their garden!

I would assume that once the weather dries out, the kids will find a green space to play on. We've all been kids and we've all probably annoyed people unwittingly. I would remember that kids are having a tough time of it of late and they probably have very little to do other than kick a ball so if you can tough it out for now this issue will probably go away.

Right; I am done here.

Busy day ahead and all that needs saying is said.

Thankfully the OP is headed in the right direction to sort this and with the probability of the community Garda who knows the situation now .

OP; here for you on PM..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

I would assume that once the weather dries out, the kids will find a green space to play on. We've all been kids and we've all probably annoyed people unwittingly. I would remember that kids are having a tough time of it of late and they probably have very little to do other than kick a ball so if you can tough it out for now this issue will probably go away.

That's not the issue here. We've all done kicked bags over walks but the kids have pushed it too far and the parents seem to just ignore the OP.

It mightn't solve it but the OP has no choice but to take matters into their own hands

Right; I am done here.

Busy day ahead and all that needs saying is said.

Thankfully the OP is headed in the right direction to sort this and with the probability of the community Garda who knows the situation now .

OP; here for you on PM..

You honestly think the Gardai are going to intervene in a situation where kids are playing football in their own property?

dubrov wrote: »
    but the kids have pushed it too far

It mightn't solve it but the OP has no choice but to take matters into their own hands

Sounds sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Dav010 wrote:
    You honestly think the Gardai are going to intervene in a situation where kids are playing football in their own property?

They'll have a word with the parents over the trespassing.

Beyond that, probably nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Been in the same situation. We couldn't use our back garden because next door was being used as a Football pitch. I love football and played it all day every day as a kid so it's not like I didn't want to see the lads playing football but it got to the stage where we couldn't use our own back garden because the noise was so deafening.

They had about 10 footballs as well so could keep going no matter how many balls cleared the wall.

They moved on in the end before it came to a head. The only way you'll get anywhere is if the parents see it from your point of view but they might just be happy that their kids are out being active during lockdown and see that as more important than your peace.

Advertisement