Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Winegum1 wrote: »
    How about getting the neighbours to buy an actual goal post. At least it won't be physically hitting off of the wall then.
    You now the kids 6 foot ones you can move around. It might entice them to move playing somewhere else then

Nah the nets on them aren't tight enough to stop the ball hitting the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dangee4050

Dav010 wrote: »
    They are kids playing ball man, don’t keep their footballs. Remember, your wall is also their wall. Have a chat with parents and see if you can come to some arrangement on netting.

I used to think like you until I moved here. I guarantee you have never experienced this. It’s a nightmare believe me.

A couple of points:

• They are kids playing in their property, they don’t need to find somewhere else to play.

• Confiscating their footballs is likely to escalate problems with both kids, their parents and neighbours.

• They are briefly going in to retrieve a ball, you have to be pretty paranoid to consider that a Covid risk.

• Nothing screams drug dealer or psycho like barb wire topped walls in an urban house.

This isn’t about respect, it’s about kids bored because they have nothing to do, kicking a ball off a wall in their garden. Jeez we all did it. It’s annoying yes, but is it worth the inevitable damage to relations that your recommendations would result in? Thank God we don’t have America’s right to gun ownership.

They aren’t playing in their garden it’s a public street?

Dangee4050 wrote: »
    I used to think like you until I moved here. I guarantee you have never experienced this?

Kids would normally be in school, I'm sure it's exacerbated because of the pandemic and the fact that they are home the whole time with nothing to do. See if it eases when things return to normal before doing anything you'll regret.

Best of luck, hope you manage to resolve it in some way regardless.

Kids would normally be in school, I'm sure it's exacerbated because of the pandemic and the fact that they are home the whole time with nothing to do. See if it eases when things return to normal before doing anything you'll regret.

Best of luck, hope you manage to resolve it in some way regardless.

This is what we were thinking I’m sure this lockdown has to have some effect on it

I either loose my mind or learn to live with it.

Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Been in the same situation. We couldn't use our back garden because next door was being used as a Football pitch. I love football and played it all day every day as a kid so it's not like I didn't want to see the lads playing football but it got to the stage where we couldn't use our own back garden because the noise was so deafening.

They had about 10 footballs as well so could keep going no matter how many balls cleared the wall.

They moved on in the end before it came to a head. The only way you'll get anywhere is if the parent's see it from your point of view but they might just be happy that their kids are out being active during lockdown and see that as more important than your peace.

I love hearing from people who have been through this and that it sorted itself out.
    I have kids of my own and I love seeing them play football. It’s the ball hitting of my window, guttering and the dirty football marks I have to wash off my gable that annoys me.

Is your primary issue the noise or the chance of someone breaking your window? If it’s just a case you don’t like it, unfortunately it is par course of urban living. We have lost a few roof tiles to a Hockey ball. If the issue is the window being broken, I would let the parents know that if it did happen you will be expecting them to cough up the repair cost or you will escalate it to the guards. I’m presuming they are kicking the ball from a public street so they are entitled to be there. Kicking the wall is a different story but as one poster pointed out you will become that neighbour if you refuse to give the balls back.

It’s the windows and my guttering also the dirty football marks all over my gable. The noise didn’t bother as much at the beginning when it just hit of the wall. it’s when they blast it at full force over the wall at the building.

The noise hitting off the wall bothers me now though as they have zero respect for my property.

You honestly think the Gardai are going to intervene in a situation where kids are playing football in their own property?

Sounds sinister.

I hope the Garda will treat it as antisocial behaviour as they are doing it daily and hitting my windows etc . They also just laugh after doing it like it’s no big deal.
    If they break something it’s criminal damage as I’ve asked them to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Putting up broken glass and grease paint on the wall will get you a warning from the gardaí (if you're lucky), worst case you'll get sued / laundry bill / medical bill because you knew what would happen (you've told the gardaí it's happening).

You need a fun solution within your garden walls.

Run out and put these around the ball when it lands

https://www.amazon.com/Island-Dogs-11814-Sack-****/dp/B00890O2WA/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=fake+dog+poop&qid=1613727687&sr=8-9

Then quick spray of this on the ball (It didn't get 32,000 positive reviews for nothing...)

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-LA-2-2-Pack/dp/B01BHU4SVS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=liquid+ass&qid=1613727375&sr=8-1#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

It might be a bit weird if you've no dog though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I love hearing from people who have been through this and that it sorted itself out.
    I have kids of my own and I love seeing them play football. It’s the ball hitting of my window, guttering and the dirty football marks I have to wash off my gable that annoys me.

I know that's of no use to you - but I'm saying I understand what it is to be in your position. Most people who haven't experienced it will roll their eyes and dismiss you as being an overly miserable killjoy.

I don't know what we would have done had they not just moved on. There were plenty discussions about how to handle it.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know that's of no use to you - but I' saying I understand what it is to be in your position. Most people who haven't experienced it will roll their eyes and dismiss you as being an overly miserable killjoy.

I don't know what we would have done had they not just moved on. There were plenty discussions about how to handle it.

It’s of more use than you realise as it gives me some hope that it might stop some day.

Moving may be my only option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I hope the Garda will treat it as antisocial behaviour as they are doing it daily and hitting my windows etc . They also just laugh after doing it like it’s no big deal.
    If they break something it’s criminal damage as I’ve asked them to stop.

Ah now, its not criminal damage. I get youre frustrated but getting beyond reality wont help.

It would be accidental damage. Their parents keying your car would be criminal damage, or smashing your window with a hammer. Not saying its not irritating and maybe antisocial but its far from criminal.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Ah now, its not criminal damage. I get youre frustrated but getting beyond reality wont help.

It would be accidental damage. Their parents keying your car would be criminal damage, or smashing your window with a hammer. Not saying its not irritating and maybe antisocial but its far from criminal.

Trust me buddy it’s definitely antisocial when your on the receiving end of it

Advertisement