Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Android Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3

Options
  • 17-02-2021 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I have an Old Samsung Galaxy S3 running on Android 4.3 (Model: GT-I9300). If I root the phone, would I be able to install any custom firmware (if any exists) on this phone. I havent rooted the phone yet. The current one has bloatware on it + its battery life really sucks.

Any way to make use of this phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,967 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks...

Even though I have enabled "Developer Options" and then turned ON "USB Debugging" when I connect the phone to my laptop, the phone gets automatically charged only. I am not getting the prompt on the phone asking for mode of connection "Charge Only", "Transfer Photos", etc. I installed KingoRoot, but neither my laptop nor KingoRoot detects the phone !

I tried on Win 7 machines, USB 2 ports etc but the same result. Any other setting I need to enable/disable on the phone?

I also tried connecting the phone in "Download Mode" and also "Safe Mode". Also tried Samsung Kies, ODIN etc. Still no joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TestLink wrote: »
    Thanks...

Even though I have enabled "Developer Options" and then turned ON "USB Debugging" when I connect the phone to my laptop, the phone gets automatically charged only. I am not getting the prompt on the phone asking for mode of connection "Charge Only", "Transfer Photos", etc. I installed KingoRoot, but neither my laptop nor KingoRoot detects the phone !

I tried on Win 7 machines, USB 2 ports etc but the same result. Any other setting I need to enable/disable on the phone?

Most people consider that a virus, I'd avoid.

I have a GS3 rooted/rom'd here in a drawer. Its still a pile of crap. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Have you installed the correct ADB drivers?

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Have you installed the correct ADB drivers?

Ys, but no luck. System is not detecting the phone. It is just charging only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

TestLink wrote: »
    Ys, but no luck. System is not detecting the phone. It is just charging only.

Have you tried with a different cable? It's a long time ago but I remember having to find 'Samsung usb drivers' and install them to get it to work.

Windows does not like connecting to phones via USB. Even modern ones can be a pain.

I'd also agree, it's not worth the hassle. 1gb ram isn't going to get you very far these days and the nand storage chips degrade over time adding to the slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brunkonjaa

It would help if you installed ADB driver systemwide. Also, have you tried on different usb slot or different computer? Is bootloader unlocked? Can you see the phone by using ADB or FASTBOOT commands?

Tried all those. No longer going to waste time on this. I have 100+ apps on my phone. I am sure all those wont run on this old phone. So gave up.

Advertisement