Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean Sectarian abuse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As someone said earlier this week on some chat show, if McClean was black this would have been nipped in the bud a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Yawn....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This a good interview. Whatever your opinion of the man. No family deserves this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DycMAZpIzBQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fann Linn wrote: »
    As someone said earlier this week on some chat show, if McClean was black this would have been nipped in the bud a long time ago.

It wouldn’t. It would have got more broadcast time for sure. But they’re doing very little to stop abuse in general. Look at the Ian Wright case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

While I have been living in the UK, there hasn't been any anti-Irish abuse aimed towards me or have I heard it in a city with a high percentage of Irish immigration.

A large percentage of the English population have no idea about Ireland at all and 5% think it's part of the UK.

This is not to diminish McClean's experience, but it's probably specific to his situation.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    It wouldn’t. It would have got more broadcast time for sure. But they’re doing very little to stop abuse in general. Look at the Ian Wright case.

More education needed on both topics. But that will only start with the abuse being highlighted. Anti Irish sentiment in Britain seems like its been ignored for far too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

What tool said abuse of black players had been "nipped in the bud"?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What tool said abuse of black players had been "nipped in the bud"?

Mea culpa. The context was as the previous poster said, it would have been highlighted more.

wadacrack wrote: »
    More education needed on both topics. But that will only start with the abuse being highlighted. Anti Irish sentiment in Britain seems like its been ignored for far too long

I completely agree. When we talk about racism being more profound towards an oppressed people, the relationship between us and the English ranks pretty highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he brings it on himself half the time courting controversy turning his back on the British national anthem,...imagine if an english player did that over here to Amhrán na bhFiann he'd be dead within a week

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    he brings it on himself half the time courting controversy turning his back on the British national anthem,...imagine if an english player did that over here to Amhrán na bhFiann he'd be dead within a week

1) They absolutely would suffer pretty much no consequences barring a bit of internet moaning for doing that
    2) You can’t honestly think these things are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Alan Mannus was still alive last time I checked.

Sectarian abuse of an Irishman doesn't get the same headlines. It should but doesn't.

"He brings it on himself" is often said alright. Imagine if you said the same about a black or Asian person getting abuse. Nobody deserves the abuse these people get.

Hopefully internet tough guys who abuse these people get prosecuted. You generally see they aren't that tough at all when caught (surprise surprise).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

That little **** who threatened to burn down his house and kill his family needs to be caught for a start. A horrible piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The social media abuse is wrong completely.

But players need to take responsibility and come off social media, they are only on it looking for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Esse85 wrote: »

But players need to take responsibility and come off social media, they are only on it looking for attention.

This is such a literally backwards point of view.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Yup, makes no sense at all

Well its a huge part of life now. More so than ever.

It is, but players leave themselves wide open to horrible insults by remaining on it. Its easy access for scumbags to target players and abuse them.

Players and people with influence should come off it and make a stance not to go back on it until social media companies make changes to stamp this out. Be it signing up with ID or whatever.

If things remain the same, this will continue and get worse unfortunately.

It is, but players leave themselves wide open to horrible insults by remaining on it. Its easy access for scumbags to target players and abuse them.

Players and people with influence should come off it and make a stance not to go back on it until social media companies make changes to stamp this out. Be it signing up with ID or whatever.

If things remain the same, this will continue and get worse unfortunately.

It's your use of the word "responsibility" I find a bit irksome in the previous post... you're putting the responsibility of forcing change on the victims.

• Advertisement

Isn't that victim blaming? How come normal people can go on social media and not abuse people?

Social media is part of their package now, endorsements etc.

6 wrote: »
    Isn't that victim blaming? How come normal people can go on social media and not abuse people?

Social media is part of their package now, endorsements etc.

You can say that about any situation.

e.g. How can normal people remain socially distance and keep to within the 5km radius.

If it's part of the package, that's part of negotiation and these players can choose to accept it or reject it.

Unfortunately until social media companies take responsibility and do something to prevent this, it will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's not a character to whom one is immediately sympathetic which is why this has gone on as it has. He's bullish and doesn't shut up in a general sense. So others are slow to talk about this in respect of McLean. There may also be a "well you choose to live there and make your living there" angle of having to take it.

Niall Quinn just said this was more "political" than BLM stuff! It's all political Niall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All you have to do is look at the twitter comments after Sky and BBC posted the news article to tell you all you need to know.

Even the comments in here is shocking really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

"She was wearing a short skirt your honour, brought it on herself"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The "he brings it on himself" stuff isn't really fair, and it wouldn't (shouldn't) be said about minorities, women or marginalised groups.

That said, his behaviour on social media in the past is such that I can completely see why he doesn't have people lining up to defend him and speak out with him like he's looking for. I wouldn't want to be associated with him, not for fear of abuse, but because he says and does some moronic things (balaclava stuff etc.).

None of this is to say any of the sectarian abuse is justified or excusable, it's not, it's abhorrent. Hopefully something can be done about the perpetrators.

Amirani wrote: »
    The "he brings it on himself" stuff isn't really fair, and it wouldn't (shouldn't) be said about minorities, women or marginalised groups.

That said, his behaviour on social media in the past is such that I can completely see why he doesn't have people lining up to defend him and speak out with him like he's looking for. I wouldn't want to be associated with him, not for fear of abuse, but because he says and does some moronic things (balaclava stuff etc.).

None of this is to say any of the sectarian abuse is justified or excusable, it's not, it's abhorrent. Hopefully something can be done about the perpetrators.

What else has he done? I just think he;s quite an abrasive, aggressive character and not afraid to air his views. This is what has worked against him. He hasn't really done or said anything throughout his career. Balaclava incident aside. He has praised the League Or Ireland on numerous occasions and seems proud of his roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

He did for a while and he still received death threats in the post!
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/james-mcclean-birthday-card

adaminho wrote: »
    He did for a while and he still received death threats in the post!
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/james-mcclean-birthday-card

Doesn't mention he came off social media.
    He posted the images of what he received on his twitter account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Doesn't mention he came off social media.
    He posted the images of what he received on his twitter account.

Sorry, should have been clearer. He has come of social media before and still received threats in the post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The Irish person's #MeToo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Oranage2 wrote: »

Nope, just good old fashioned anti-Irish racism being called out.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What does this even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

It’s utter nonsense that anyone has to put up with the abuse he receives. If he refuses to wear a poppy that’s his choice. He has done things that won’t endear him to many people over the water but the abuse he receives is out of control and in no way should his family be brought into it that is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's been a shocking and shameful series of episodes that McClean hasn't been supported more publicly by his professional colleagues and by supporters of his club and country. Post 3 on this thread sums up that mindset, post 32 another one. No more.

Brexit has made the UK even worse for this sort of thing. It's time to take a stand against it, well past the time. Fair play to McClean, he has shown the way.

• Advertisement

He's not a character to whom one is immediately sympathetic which is why this has gone on as it has. He's bullish and doesn't shut up in a general sense. So others are slow to talk about this in respect of McLean. There may also be a "well you choose to live there and make your living there" angle of having to take it.

Niall Quinn just said this was more "political" than BLM stuff! It's all political Niall.

You're not required to like him, and believe me no one cares if you don't. That has nothing to do with him and his family getting death threats.

Why should he "shut up"? He's 100 percent correct to call out this stuff for what it is.

wadacrack wrote: »
    What else has he done? I just think he;s quite an abrasive, aggressive character and not afraid to air his views. This is what has worked against him. He hasn't really done or said anything throughout his career. Balaclava incident aside. He has praised the League Or Ireland on numerous occasions and seems proud of his roots.

The balaclava thing was an own goal. He took the tweet down and apologised for it.. Other than that he has done nothing to deserve the flak he got from the bigots.

He didn't wear a poppy, that was the reason why he got all that abuse for all those years. The annual Poppyfest is a disgrace where people in public life are targeted for not complying.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The balaclava thing was an own goal. He took the tweet down and apologised for it.. Other than that he has done nothing to deserve the flak he got from the bigots.

He didn't wear a poppy, that was the reason why he got all that abuse for all those years. The annual Poppyfest is a disgrace where people in public life are targeted for not complying.

100% correct. I was listening to the Football Ramble yesterday. One of the presenters said that he has stopped wearing the poppy as it has been co-opted by nationalist groups which is not what it is meant for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

no way should his family be brought into it that is disgusting

Well, he did bring his family into it by posting that picture.

*that’s not me condoning the abuse before anyone gets on their high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Well, he did bring his family into it by posting that picture.

*that’s not me condoning the abuse before anyone gets on their high horse.

I presume it was the picture with the Balaclava you are referring to and you answered your own question so what was your point exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I presume it was the picture with the Balaclava you are referring to and you answered your own question so what was your point exactly

I didn’t ask a question.

You don’t think his family should be brought into it. I don’t think his family should be brought into it. Unfortunately for his family, McClean thought it would be a great idea to post an inflammatory picture of his family on social media.

Did he think the idiots out there that send death threats would just laugh it off? It’s probably the stupidest thing he could have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

event wrote: »
    "She was wearing a short skirt your honour, brought it on herself"

totally different matter,

if you openly disrespect the country you're living in, what else do you expect??....i don't agree with it, but its going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

How is it disrespect? Is he not allow to highlight the feelings of a section of people who live in the United Kingdom? Regardless of how we feel about how NI should be governed and how their people should identify (though I'd guess, on an Irish messageboars, that.most of us share his beliefs/opinions), there is a community there that are not happy with their situation.

At the end of the day, that is what he is bringing attention to: the experiences of a group of people who live in the United Kingdom and are not happy with their treatment. Why should it be brushed under the carpet? Would it not similarly be disrespectful for Scottish independence to be talked about? Or the treatment of other minorities in the UK?

At times, I don't think his approach is the best way to win people on the other side over but he is drawing attention to a situation that a lot of British people don't seem to want to know or think about. He is someone who grew up in the UK and his experiences and those of his community lead him to have different views of the country that he lives and works in. Its a topic for a conversation that is worth having. He does not deserve to be threatened for highlighting the unpleasant facts of the UK's history and current situation.

Does it have anything to do with football? No but he is using his public profile to express his beliefs and challenge the accepted narrative, which I see no problem with. It is sad to see someone in such a position being threatened beacuse of it and sadder still to see others telling him to just leave it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

if you openly disrespect the country you're living in, what else do you expect??....i don't agree with it, but its going to happen

Disrespect the country? Its not Saudi Arabia he lives in FFS and he didnt wipe his @rse with the Union Jack

This poppy thing for football jerseys only came about in 2012, its not some long standing tradition that he has disrespected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What exactly are you referring to when you say disrespect the country?

Do you think it was totally fine for Kaepernick to be abused and blackballed for refusing to stand for the US anthem?

Did Alan Mannus get threatened about his house being burnt out??

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/row-erupts-as-ni-international-alan-mannus-refuses-to-face-irish-flag-during-national-anthem-in-dublin-38657056.html

Do you think it was totally fine for Kaepernick to be abused and blackballed for refusing to stand for the US anthem?

Kaepernick was one of the lowest ranked QBs in his last season. Him and the only other QB with worse numbers were dropped. His protests were a clever way to earn him some money because his career was over.

Kaepernick was one of the lowest ranked QBs in his last season. Him and the only other QB with worse numbers were dropped. His protests were a clever way to earn him some money because his career was over.

As has been very well publicised at this stage, there's no way he wouldn't have found a spot on a backup roster somewhere if not for being blackballed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is my favourite part of the abuse he got over the poppy

Racist hooligans
    "If you dont like the poppy and the British army f*** off back to your own country"
    Same racist hooligans
    "Londonderry is part of the UK mate. No surrender"

What an absolute bunch of clowns

• Advertisement
Advertisement