Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on checking social media presences for job applicants

Options
  • 17-02-2021 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The fact that as part of a background check for some jobs someone's social media presence can be looked at as part of the recruitment processes.

Agree or disagree with that?

Leaving aside the chancer who is going to come on here and say their online support for the Irish nazi party( if such a party exists ) is well hidden no one would find it.

Should someone with a mental illness going through a bad time who lashed out with some hate-filled rant be given a second or third chance? should teenage trolling get a pass?

Or could it be a tool for curbing online abuse as the online world is going to come crashing into the real world and might lose them a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's been happening for years ,hence why people seriously need to watch what they say on social media

• What you volunteer to post on social media is you providing that information to the world.

You are the product. It's fair game and becoming commonplace as HR people build a picture of the character they are hiring to size the fit for the role.

If you have ambitions, be very careful what you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Any time I hire somebody I will do a quick google of their name before pulling the trigger.

This is standard surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Any time I hire somebody I will do a quick google of their name before pulling the trigger.

This is standard surely?

No, the MNC hires outside companies to do a background check now it's not just social media presence it's everything, checking qualifications are valid financial checks, perhaps not for every job but it's surprising the jobs it is done for.

The amount who think it's only done for the high faluting executives is surprising as well, jobs very low down the chain get a background check in a lot of MNC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Dont be on social media. Problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The "FrEeDoM Ovv SpEeChH" crowd are gas. They think you should be able to go around being a c*nt to everyone and still be treated like you're not a c*nt.

If I was up for a job, I'm not sure i'd get the job if I walked in, called the interviewer a fat pr*ck, his wife a mongoose and his kids ugly little bast*rds.

No matter how many times I said "FrEeDoM Ovv SpEeChH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 HermioneJean

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Here in the real world, Sneed, that's not the problem. The problem is people posting evidence of their own immaturity, poor judgment, etc. It's not the things they haven't posted about that jeopardise their employment prospects; it's the things they have posted about.

And we're not talking only, or even mainly, about political opinions; that ill-judged post about a drunken prank that seemed funny at the time, or the lightning bolt that you shaved into your pubes and posted on FB for the world to see — that's the kind of thing that doesn't necessarily impress an employer.

Obviously, if you've posted racist, sexist rants, that's going to be a problem, but most people, most of the time, have more wit that to post that stuff under their own names. And if they do, and are denied jobs as a result, it's only partly because they have vile opinions - it's mainly because they are obviously a bit dim, lacking in foresight, and prone to making poor judgments.

Sorry I don't see any relevance of this at all to an employer. An employer couldn't sack me for making a poor judgement in my own time like getting drunk and breaking a heel in college, so why should they bother looking for it when hiring me. That's actually just quite sad, and sounds like the type of micromanager who just ends up destroying their work force.

Fair enough a quick google to see if they are on the Irish Times for murder. After that, I find it stalkery and obsessive and I'm sure a breach of some privacy law if you are taking names from application forms and trying to find their social medias.

Grow up and treat people on their candidacy for a job.

Sorry I don't see any relevance of this at all to an employer. An employer couldn't sack me for making a poor judgement in my own time like getting drunk and breaking a heel in college, so why should they bother looking for it when hiring me. That's actually just quite sad, and sounds like the type of micromanager who just ends up destroying their work force.

Fair enough a quick google to see if they are on the Irish Times for murder. After that, I find it stalkery and obsessive and I'm sure a breach of some privacy law if you are taking names from application forms and trying to find their social medias.

Part of the process for hiring someone for a job is to see if they will be a good fit with the company. For example, the company I work for has some basic standards around treating people equally. My company has employees form all different backgrounds, people of all ages and different ethnicities.

If HR have a look at your Facebook and see that you've been racially abusing people on there and calling for the heads of particular groups of people based on their sexual orientation or religion, then it should be taken into account.

Not just "Oh, you haven't murdered anyone? Welcome aboard!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Culture is very important and becoming even more important when hiring people. Often 2 or 3 candidates might have similar skills and what sets them apart is an opinion on how well they will settle in and add to the team.

Someone who reveals themselves to be an arsehole on social media will be viewed as more of a risk than someone who hasn't.

Hire for attitude, train for skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Sneed.... formerly chuck by chance?

You need a mug of tea and a break from the internet aul see.

Formerly employed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

timmyntc wrote: »
    Formerly employed

Voluntarily unemployed, Involuntarily celibate

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sorry I don't see any relevance of this at all to an employer. An employer couldn't sack me for making a poor judgement in my own time like getting drunk and breaking a heel in college, so why should they bother looking for it when hiring me.
    Because they don't want to hire people with poor judgment? The harder it is to fire people who turn out to have poor judgment, the greater the incentive not to hire them in the first place. And, faced with a choice between the candidate of whose poor judgment you have evidence and the candidate for whom there is no such evidence, the evidence of poor judgment may count for something.
    Definitely not a breach of privacy law. What you voluntarily publish to the world by posting to your social media accounts is the opposite of private information. It's public information because you made it public - which is, of course, evidence of poor judgment.
    Sure. People should only be judged by reference to criteria which are relevant to the job for which they are applying. The thing is, there's a awful lot of jobs for which good judgment, common sense, etc are highly relevant qualities, so evidence of lack of same can be a relevant factor.

I think, though, we are dependent on employers also to have good judgment and common sense. Most people do stupid things when they are teenagers, and/or they hold shallow but vehement views which they express with dogmatic certainty. If you excluded everybody who had ever erred in this way, you'd have a very small pool of candidates left to you. But it's only in recent times that we can, through social media, so readily identify people who have done these stupid things. So employers need to develop the skill and judgment to disregard idiocies committed by applicants when they were young and stupid and trust that, now that they are not so young, they are also hopefully not so stupid. Recent evidence of stupidity or worse on your social media accounts will always be a problem, but I think we should fairly soon get to stage - if we're not there already - where what you posted when you were 19 is largely ignored when you are 25.

ShyMets wrote: »

Boards are social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

mariaalice wrote: »
    Boards are social media.

More anonymous than Fb ,twit and insta more safer to post opinions ,it would be hard enough to link someone to a boards post

• Sorry I don't see any relevance of this at all to an employer. An employer couldn't sack me for making a poor judgement in my own time like getting drunk and breaking a heel in college, so why should they bother looking for it when hiring me. That's actually just quite sad, and sounds like the type of micromanager who just ends up destroying their work force.

Very naive viewpoint I must say. FWIW I don't agree with the checking either from an ethical standpoint but I can see the reasons why organisations do it.

It's actually very simple the MNC regard employees as representing the company, they are there to make money for the shareholders.

Anything that could bring the company into disrepute even by association is a risk.

It not about being in any mainstream political party that is not an issue for anyone, however things like a threat of violence to a politician or violent rants about ethnic minorities or immigrants are an issue.

Note, evidence-based opinions on any subject are not an issue.

Think about it logically, a lot of the large MNC's would have a large percentage of the workforce make up of various ethnicities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Given the type of moron that uses it in Ireland, I don't think any sane employer would employ an active Twitter user.

In saying that I don't think any of that hodgepodge of gender confused, preferred pronoun wielding wasters would know what a job is anyway so the situation wouldn't arise. Utterly foul, bitter people for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hypothetical situation.

I'm not on Facebook at all (8 years off it i'd say).

My Instagram profile is pretty low key...a few holiday pics, few pics of beers and a few pics of the kids. Very few followers and it's staying like that (private profile).

If I was asked for Facebook details, answer "not on it"

Surely they couldn't ask request for friendship on Instagram? I'm not friending anyone so they can have a nosey at my pictures.

Again all hypothetical as I'm in construction and won't be interviewed by an MNC.

Given the type of moron that uses it in Ireland, I don't think any sane employer would employ an active Twitter user.

In saying that I don't think any of that hodgepodge of gender confused, preferred pronoun wielding wasters would know what a job is anyway so the situation wouldn't arise. Utterly foul, bitter people for the most part.

Nah, they all have jobs.

Ya should have a read through your own posting history, it makes for a grim depressing story of a very angry person with a lot of time on their hands, and a lot of axes to grind.

Kinda like those twitter users you mention :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Culture is very important and becoming even more important when hiring people. Often 2 or 3 candidates might have similar skills and what sets them apart is an opinion on how well they will settle in and add to the team.

Someone who reveals themselves to be an arsehole on social media will be viewed as more of a risk than someone who hasn't.

Hire for attitude, train for skill.

"Culture" or "not the right fit" is also a useful way to dress up discrimination in some cases.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hypothetical situation.

I'm not on Facebook at all (8 years off it i'd say).

My Instagram profile is pretty low key...a few holiday pics, few pics of beers and a few pics of the kids. Very few followers and it's staying like that (private profile).

If I was asked for Facebook details, answer "not on it"

Surely they couldn't ask request for friendship on Instagram? I'm not friending anyone so they can have a nosey at my pictures.

Again all hypothetical as I'm in construction and won't be interviewed by an MNC.

They're not going into that detail.

Even in construction if someone was known to be a support of some racist ant immigration party and to espouse some very foul views, on the job, they are going for the resident engineer is a Nigerian person or QS involved in the project is a Malaysian Muslim would you say it'll be grand their views won't cause any issues?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

DeanAustin wrote: »
    "Culture" or "not the right fit" is also a useful way to dress up discrimination in some cases.

Sure, but that’s not what’s being discussed here.

Ya should have a read through your own posting history, it makes for a grim depressing story of a very angry person with a lot of time on their hands, and a lot of axes to grind.

Kinda like those twitter users you mention :pac:

I can assure you I, like most people, enjoyed life a lot more before your beloved lockdown came in.

Ask yourself about personal happiness and wealth. Then ask you why all left wingers love lockdown.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nah, they all have jobs.

They really do not. A mix of eternal students and people on disability mainly. A few who blame FG because they can't afford to buy a house working 12 hours a week in a craft pub/ hipster burger joint, but aside from that.

I can assure you I, like most people, enjoyed life a lot more before your beloved lockdown came in.

Ask yourself about personal happiness and wealth. Then ask you why all left wingers love lockdown.

Don't you think the people you're giving out about feel the same about their pre-lockdown happiness levels? or is it just you that's allowed be affected by it?

What's that about personal happiness and wealth?

Why do all left wingers love lockdown?

Edit - missed the "your beloved lockdown" part in first response - wtf - I don't 'love' lockdown, where the hell has that come from?

They really do not. A mix of eternal students and people on disability mainly. A few who blame FG because they can't afford to buy a house working 12 hours a week in a craft pub/ hipster burger joint, but aside from that.

Man hates the idea of social housing, but simultaneously thinks people shouldn't be able to afford a house.

"Pull up that aul ladder there behind ya" politics

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mariaalice wrote: »
    It's actually very simple the MNC regard employees as representing the company, they are there to make money for the shareholders.

Anything that could bring the company into disrepute even by association is a risk.

It not about being in any mainstream political party that is not an issue for anyone, however things like a threat of violence to a politician or violent rants about ethnic minorities or immigrants are an issue.

Note, evidence-based opinions on any subject are not an issue.

Think about it logically, a lot of the large MNC's would have a large percentage of the workforce make up of various ethnicities.

Employers should set out their requirements in this area clearly in any job spec, to avoid all this surreptitious messing around.

Employers should set out their requirements in this area clearly in any job spec, to avoid all this surreptitious messing around.

They tell candidates that there will a background check as part of the recruitment processes it's all very polite and professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

ShyMets wrote: »

Alternatively, don't post anything that you wouldn't be happy to have your name and reputation attached to. It's not that difficult.

Advertisement