Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

don't ride on a flat ...

Options
  • 17-02-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

... you'll destroy the wheel.
    An adage I remember well from my youth, and now my muppet of a child seems to have completed a Belgium criterium sans tyre or tube.
    Surveying the damage the rims are helluva burred, so I'm thinking if I get him to file the insides so there are no spiky bits left it will be good to go.
    Or am I missing some more insidious lurking threat ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

souter wrote: »
    An adage I remember well from my youth, and now my muppet of a child seems to have completed a Belgium criterium sans tyre or tube.
    Surveying the damage the rims are helluva burred, so I'm thinking if I get him to file the insides so there are no spiky bits left it will be good to go.

any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

You think it's ok to call your child a muppet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mimon wrote: »

There’s always one....

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If a child, on occasion, acts as a muppet, it is appropriate to refer to them thusly, but only in connection to specific muppetry. It does not necessarily follow that this designation defines them completely and in perpetuity.

I second the naming.

Chill.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Ohhhh I think I’ll follow this thread, purely for entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kids are stupid, do stupid things and especially boys.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Did he do it deliberately? The wheel has specialized tape on it, so assuming it's a "good" wheel.

How old is he? This would be a determining factor in the filing. Although there's no guarantee the it would be done properly, and you'd most likely have to go round at it again yourself

My beloved cherub of a son is not far from being able to enlist in the army if so minded.
    I think he can be trusted with a nail file, which is all I have to hand at the moment.
    The bike is new 2nd-hand - A bit of an oxymoron I know, so I'm not overly concerned.
    Yes, I would be checking it out afterward anyway because I'm a bit of a control freak that way. If it doesn't work out he'll be getting punctures and I'll be fixing them.
    So we're in it together.

• Advertisement

I can see why you are p**sed off. It can be sorted with a lot of hard work and the right approach which you have to weigh up against the cost of a new wheel-id price it up before trying to repair.

If you choose to repair, start with a roll of emery paper! Unless your very handy with a steel file you'll end up with bad flat spots. cant see a nail file working unless you have 100 of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what is the wheel? i.e. what model? may just be easier as mentioned above, to replace it.

Raymzor wrote: »
    I can see why you are p**sed off. It can be sorted with a lot of hard work and the right approach which you have to weigh up against the cost of a new wheel-id price it up before trying to repair.

If you choose to repair, start with a roll of emery paper! Unless your very handy with a steel file you'll end up with bad flat spots. cant see a nail file working unless you have 100 of them.

Flat bald spots? Sorry, I misread, thinking about my head.
    A nail file would be a luxury , my tools are an old set of rat tail files.
    Possibly some scraps of used sandpaper.
    Ah well, never a better time to take up a new hobby.

But anyway, back to gist of the original query - is it only the internal rim surface that need be worried about?

But anyway, back to gist of the original query - is it only the internal rim surface that need be worried about?

Flat spots, from filing away too much material.

I'd be inclined to file down any burrs that look like the might contact the tube or tyre.

You won't do this job with a nail file

Ok sounds like you are looking for shortcuts!

Top edge will rip the tyre every time you try to fix a puncture if you focus on the inside edges only! If you want to take the ultimate short cut of laziness then run Emery paper over one side of the rim, say on the cassette site. Then clean the top edge of the rim over 150mm of the circumference to use as the only area where you prize the tyre over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Photo doesn’t look too bad. If the hook function of the rim is intact- ie: it provides a lip all the way around to secure the tyre safely, and there are no dents or flat-spots, then it should be ok - use a file to flatten any burrs that might damage the tyre or brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dreddie

I take it that you don't have children:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

endacl wrote: »
    If a child, on occasion, acts as a muppet, it is appropriate to refer to them thusly, but only in connection to specific muppetry. It does not necessarily follow that this designation defines them completely and in perpetuity.

I second the naming.

Chill.

:cool:

Just be careful he doesn’t grow up like me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Can you not spin the wheel and hold some wet and dry in a cloth against it?
    That's what I'd do but I'm a philistine so it's a question not an instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Where did he finish in the crit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

cletus wrote: »
    Flat spots, from filing away too much material.

I'd be inclined to file down any burrs that look like the might contact the tube or tyre.

You won't do this job with a nail file

Not but he'd learn a valuable lesson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I like the muppets, dont see the issue here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Can you not spin the wheel and hold some wet and dry in a cloth against it?
    That's what I'd do but I'm a philistine so it's a question not an instruction.
    Pretty much what I would suggest, shouldn't take to long or be that big a deal.
    As a parent, despite how intelligent my kids are by measured standards, I am always amazed at how stupid they can be but I suspect, like many here, we all have forgotten many of the stupid things we done as children, I regrettably evn remember a few.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pretty much what I would suggest, shouldn't take to long or be that big a deal.
    As a parent, despite how intelligent my kids are by measured standards, I am always amazed at how stupid they can be but I suspect, like many here, we all have forgotten many of the stupid things we done as children, I regrettably evn remember a few.

Depends how big the burrs are. Some may need to be knocked down with a file. Spinning the wheel and holding sand/emory paper to it would come after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cletus wrote: »
    Depends how big the burrs are. Some may need to be knocked down with a file. Spinning the wheel and holding sand/emory paper to it would come after that.
    Sounds like the way to go about it. It doesn't need to be smooth as a baby's arse, just not have any real spikes, peaks or troughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

I’m impressed he finished it. Fair play. Can’t help you with repairs. If it were me I’d buy a new wheel, but that’s because of laziness combined with lack of knowledge/ability.
    Also, I like the muppets.

Advertisement