Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What non Whiskey or Rum Spirit (Cognac, Mezcal, Calvados etc) are we drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Likewise, it's great. I'll be picking up a second bottle tomorrow, excellent stuff! Now go source more ;-)

They had loads where I was. In fact it was almost hidden. Definitely worth picking up another tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got a nice present of Armagnac. I had a lovely Islay single malt before from the Taste the Difference range so I'm hoping this will be decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    Got a nice present of Armagnac. I had a lovely Islay single malt before from the Taste the Difference range so I'm hoping this will be decent enough.

Fond memories of getting througb that bottle watching Maigret after my last booze cruise to Sainsburys *
    I thought it was v nice.

Previously they had a Taste the Difference XO 12year old Calvados Pays d'Auge.
    I think i preferred the Calvados but that's probably a personal pref.

I like those 50 cl bottles, get to sample more range.

* its a cruise as I took the Greenore ferry

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I signed up for the Mother Macs blind tasting of 6 samples of cognac, armganac, and calvados.
    The set arrived, delivered by An Post, to Dublin yesterday in case anyone wondering about delivery.

Am hoping I can attend the tasting realtime on Sunday night rather than on playback.

Looking forward to it, thanks @Cazale for the heads-up about it on this thread.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Looking forward to it, thanks @Cazale for the heads-up about it on this thread.

I'd intended to get this but I was busy the last few days and forgot all about it! Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

irish_goat wrote: »
    Interesting, I might pick a bottle this week then so. In saying that, Tesco sell Havana Club 7 for £22.

Saw it in Tesco today for €41.
    Think it was was reduced to 30 something a few weeks ago, maybe 36. I've never seen it as low as €22. Even the 3yo is around €25 in Tesco.

Saw it in Tesco today for €41.
    Think it was was reduced to 30 something a few weeks ago, maybe 36. I've never seen it as low as €22. Even the 3yo is around €25 in Tesco.

I assumed that £22 must be uk price
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/268439480

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Got a bottle of Corralejo 99000 houras in Drinkstore. The dude told me that they got 3 bottles in day before yesterday and 2 are sold already.

Top shelf tequila is definitely having a moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Got a bottle of Corralejo 99000 houras in Drinkstore. The dude told me that they got 3 bottles in day before yesterday and 2 are sold already.

Top shelf tequila is definitely having a moment.

Must have been my post recommending it.:pac:

#influencer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

irish_goat wrote: »
    Must have been my post recommending it.:pac:

#influencer

Actually it did get me to take a second look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »

Ah, you said £s, not €s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aldi chevalier cognac, pleasant taste and great value. honestly dont think it's that different from standard curvosier

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ah, you said £s, not €s

Yeah, spotted Havana 7 in Tesco Letterkenny for €41, you'se are getting shafted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got a bottle of that Rum in Aldi, I think they just hadn't got it in yet, last time I was there.
    Going to make some nice Friday drinks with it today!

Update on the Mother Macs blind tasting of various Brandies.

It was enjoyable but felt a bit rushed. 6 brandies samples in 1 hour!

(1) Longueville House Apple Brandy - this had a wonderful nose but on the taste a bit sour for me.

(2) Cognac Park Borderies - very smooth cognac with caramel and orange zest. Short finish.

(3) Bas-Armagnac XO Delord - Smooth with a long deep finish of warming honey.

(4) Bas-Armagnac Delord 15yo - This was the most complex, like a chain reaction of flavours, with a spikiness on the tongue.

(5) Chateau Breuil 15yo - Robust apple flavours here, seemed like a young spirit, didn't have the depths I'd expect from a 15.

(6) Cognac Park Borderies Mizunara cask finish - Earthy and spicy, strong stewed fruits flavbour, a bit rough around the edges.

My favourites were 2, 3, 4 and what was most interesting was the difference between the two armagnacs.

Got the Celtic Whiskey Los Javis Mezcal tasting set delivered. Had a sniff of them and you would almost think you were smelling Islay whisky. Looking forward to trying them.

odyssey06 wrote:
    It was enjoyable but felt a bit rushed. 6 brandies samples in 1 hour!

Some going that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone any recommendations for Cognac glasses they enjoy using?

Some Armagnac tonight for the first time ever and I'm really enjoying it. Dark fruits, oranges and almonds. Good value at £22 a bottle.

Got the Celtic Whiskey Los Javis Mezcal tasting set delivered. Had a sniff of them and you would almost think you were smelling Islay whisky. Looking forward to trying them.

This tasting is tonight. My first proper exposure to Mezcal so I'm intrigued to see how it goes. Anyone else taking part?

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote:
    This tasting is tonight. My first proper exposure to Mezcal so I'm intrigued to see how it goes. Anyone else taking part?

6 Mezcals in about 50 mins. I'm glad I've no work tomorrow! It was a really great tasting with some amazing samples. I'll have to get a full bottle for the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I know what my excuse is for the midweek boozing...

[F**K you Behavioural Change essays]

...but is your missus away or what?

---

Did you not do the last Del Maguey Mezcal tasting?

I know what my excuse is for the midweek boozing...

I'm on a weeks holiday from work. The weather scuppered any plans we had as there is only so many things you can do with a 1.5 year old at the best of times. Think the missus is secretly delighted when I do a tasting so she can watch her shows in peace. I did a couple of degrees at night but didn't realise alcohol was an option!
    Did you not do the last Del Maguey Mezcal tasting?

Work got in the way of that one and I've never got around to it. After last night though I'll get to it sooner rather than later. Mezcal is something I'm gonna delve into a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm on a weeks holiday from work. The weather scuppered any plans we had as there is only so many things you can do with a 1.5 year old at the best of times. Think the missus is secretly delighted when I do a tasting so she can watch her shows in peace. I did a couple of degrees at night but didn't realise alcohol was an option!

I doubt there's any secret at all. :P

Ha ha. With my undergrad dissertation and varying HDips I found my creative juices were definitely helped out by Dutch courage.

The theory seems to be holding sway with this masters as well. Who am I to argue. :)

Work got in the way of that one and I've never got around to it. After last night though I'll get to it sooner rather than later. Mezcal is something I'm gonna delve into a bit more.

Any notes for them? The colour differential bead something.

I doubt there's any secret at all. :P

Ha ha. With my undergrad dissertation and varying HDips I found my creative juices were definitely helped out by Dutch courage.

The theory seems to be holding sway with this masters as well. Who am I to argue. :)

Any notes for them? The colour differential bead something.

I'd need more than Dutch courage to go back studying. Fair play to you :D

Some notes below. They got progressively more illegible after each sample.

Los Javis is an artisan mezcal producer with an emphasis on small batches, terroir and sustainability of the agave. All its mezcal is produced the exact same way with the differences coming from different agave, the terroir of where the agave was produced and the different types of wood used in roasting. Batches and vintages of the same release will change over time due to these differences.

Espadin Joven. This is the standard bearer Mezcal for Los Javis yet they still only produce 4,800 bottles a year. 40.64% abv. 8-10 year old agave. Green, vegetal, hint of smoke. Hot, salt, dark chocolate and liquorice.

Respado (rested). 8-10 months in Wild Turkey barrels. Sandalwood, vanilla, molasses. Salty praline. Green notes from agave.

Tobala. This agave grows high in the mountains. Plenty of sun and moisture. Smoke. Fizzy on the tongue. Salted liquorice.

Mexicano. 15 year old agave. Earthy. Wet clay. Sweet. Soft start which builds towards the end. Chargrilled pineapple, fish sauce, coriander. 47.28% abv. 780 bottles.

Verde Salmiana. Very aromatic. Spicy. Lime, pineapple. Turkish delight. Rosewater, Salt. 47.93% abv. 780 bottles. 2016 release. €152.

Cerrudo. Some wild agave. 25-30 year old. Lemon meringue. Fresh, creamy mouthful. Mango, liquorice. Lemon and thyme. Salt, lemongrass. White pepper. €157.

Favourite on the night was the Verde Salmiana but all six were really nice and I would try them again. What I was struck by was the huge difference between each sample. At a whiskey tasting its usually a variation on a theme but each Mezcal was so unique. I'll do the Del Maguey tasting next and I have a few more samples in the press. I'll definitely get a full size bottle based on those them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ooh baby

bas.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

The Nal wrote: »
    Ooh baby

Very nice. Lovely finish.

The box is a nice touch too.

It reminded me a little bit of one of my favorite grappa

marzadro-grappa-stravecchia-le-diciotto-lune-1161602.jpg

limnam wrote: »
    Very nice. Lovely finish.

The box is a nice touch too.

It reminded me a little bit of one of my favorite grappa

Haven't had that one. Must try it out

The Nal wrote: »
    Ooh baby

bas.jpg

Those Delord bottles are a thing of beauty. I have a sample of the 25 year old to try. If I like it I'll pick up a full bottle. Did you try the XO yet?

• Advertisement

Those Delord bottles are a thing of beauty. I have a sample of the 25 year old to try. If I like it I'll pick up a full bottle. Did you try the XO yet?

Not this bottle but Ive had it before yeah. Lovely balance of sweetness and wood. Lovely deep sweet finish.

Advertisement